Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      nddomer
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @nddomer

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Embarrassing as it is to tell, it was not a picture I liked. It was my bad pics that my friends teased me about that led to a dslr. I was going to show them a thing or two.

I now have a camera. I’ve learned a little. Photography has become my new passion. I now want to learn a lot more.

Thank you for including me.I look forward to a great education.

Tobie
          • Allows Edits: Yes
          @tobiepsg
          • Contender Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Welcome @nddomer. I’m always of the opinion that a proper Compact Flash can take pics as well as a DSLR unless you start pushing the extremes. You have the DSLR so – good, but you’re only halfway there. I’d recommend the following: –

1. Google ‘what makes a good photo’ or similar phrases. The human brain simply prefers certain scenes and compositions (rule of thirds etc) and you’d like to take most of your pics in agreement with that;
          2. Focus on areas which tickles you or a passion / hobby and take pics of that. That will ensure that you already know what a good scene/subject looks like before you snap it;
          3. If you can afford it, buy a nice book on photography or even better, subscribe to an online photography course – or cherry on the cake: subscribe to a course at an institution closeby. That will guide your knowledge & new experiences in an organised fashion and provide feedback on your learning efforts;
          4. Spend as much time as possible with your camera. Don’t be afraid to experiment. The advantage of the digital age is that you can wipe a pic you don’t like, without anyone else first seeing it! đŸ˜‰
          5. Use this forum to see what tickles the viewers and what not. In general people like / dislike the same things and you’ll soon learn what to do to please the crowds and when it’s OK to break the rules and please only a few – including yourself;
          6. Post some of your pics on this forum and ask for feedback;
          7. Most important: enjoy what you’re doing!

Welcome to the DSLR world!

nddomer
          Participant
            • Allows Edits: No
            @nddomer

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Tobie,

Thanks your taking the time to help me. I think I am doing OK so far, but feel stuck on my learning curve.

I have been at this for 2 years come Dec. I have taken over 75,000 since I got my camera last December, have bought more than 20 books so far, have taken 2 courses and plan on more. I guess I am just impatient.

I looked at your wonderful pics on the National Geographic site and will contact you via fb.

Thanks again.

Regards, Steve

Tobie
              • Allows Edits: Yes
              @tobiepsg
              • Contender Icon
              • Throwdowner Icon
              Allows Edits? Yes

Steve I’ve done my FB rounds before coming to LS. I did not know who the friend request was from so unfortunately I’ve declined it (I try my best not to let my friends list get out of hand) but you’re most welcome to send it through again. This time I’ll know who it’s from!

Looking at your experience so far I think you’re probably just impatient (you’ve done much more than I have!) and I’m quite curious to know why you reckon your progress is slow.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author