David Chesterfield
        • Allows Edits: Yes
        @dchester1001
        • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
        • Mobile Maestro Icon
        • Contender Icon
        • Member’s Pick Icon
        Allows Edits? Yes

In this installment we get to learn a little about Jim, aka Mistyisle.

Tell us a little about yourself and your photography journey.
        Thinking about impending retirement I decided to take up photography as something creative to do. It has been an excellent choice and apart from a few odd days when I, like most of us, get doubts about our ability, I have enjoyed every moment. Taking the photos and processing them. The time goes when I am processing , I just get so absorbed.
        I started off with a Panasonic Lumix bridge camera. Later purchased my first DSLR, a Nikon D60. Now I have a Nikon D5200. All three I have found really good. I looked around for inspiration and get a lot of this from watching activities such street musicians, street theatre, events and just walking around. Joining the local “Photographic Society” has been excellent in getting to know what it is that makes a great image.
        I have recently grown into a special love of monochrome and noticed this week that the three photos I got ready for assessment were all in that medium.

Where do you live?
        The North Shore of Auckland, New Zealand

Hobbies and interests?
        I am in SeniorNet tutoring some odd classes here and there. SeniorNet is a voluntary organisation, where basically “oldies” like me tutor other “oldies” a great variety of the uses of computers and hand-held devices. At the moment I tutor Facebook and Picasa. I go to the gym fairly regularly. Like the theatre and go with my wife to Art shows. We jointly own half of a motorhome with another couple – time/share. Particularly in the summer months we take off for two months and drive around New Zealand. This provides great opportunities for taking a great variety of photos.

How long you have had an interest in photography
        I just turned 72 a few days ago. As I only took up photography about two years before I retired, this means I have now been a keen photographer for nine years.

What got you interested in photography?
        Before retiring I decided that I wanted an interest that would be creative but which I could continue in regardless of my age. The fact that you can do post-production using a computer program was a great bonus as I have enjoyed using computers and software for many decades.

What is the best advice you received so far regarding photography?
        Take lots of photos including from various angles, not forgetting to get low down. Use Lightroom (as well as Photoshop Elements).

How do you maintain inspiration?
        By continuing to learn, both how to get the most from my camera and also from my post-production. The latter tended to predominate in terms of time so I am now trying to redress the balance.

What is your favourite subject to shoot and why?
        Street photography as you do not know what is going to happen next. People and their activities and engagement in these are never ending sources of inspiration.

Do you have a favourite type of photography?
        Street, as just mentioned, and all things that interesting looking and unusual people are engaged in. Sometimes just the people themselves (not portraits).

How would you describe your photographic journey to date?
        Erratic and evolving.

Self taught?
        Largely, but with the huge assistance of books, magazines, and the web.

Formal training?
        At SeniorNet we have a Photoshop Elements course and also a workshop. A group of us have been going now for 5 years plus. Recently we have also added plugins of the Nik Collection and Elements +. Our group often uses authors such as Mark Galer and Scott Kelby, using their teaching projects.

Do you have a Mentor?
        Each month we can put forward two images in out photographic club for assessment. Changing judges each month so this is great feedback. Additionally, recently a small group of us are meeting the week before club night to discuss our images and one very experienced member takes the lead.
        Additionally, I cannot emphasis too much on what a great resource Light Stalking is and how the members help me. Am truly humbled and grateful.

Are you currently involved with any photography projects? If so, what?
        Changing the catalog of my images over from Photoshop Elements 11 Organiser to Lightroom 6. To date I have relied on memory as to where my 29, 500 photos are in the folders, however, while that has worked pretty well until now, the task is getting harder. So now I am keywording these 29,500 images, quite often with multiple keywords.

If you could only use one camera/lens combination for a year, which would you choose?
        Am happy with my current Nikon D5200. I want to do more street photography and therefore would choose the Sigma 17-70 2.8 to 4 lens. It would be tough not to use my Nikkor 18-300 lens for birds etc, but given the choice…..
        What is your favorite image right now?
        Too difficult to choose !!!

I tried to choose one of mine that I liked more than the others but cannot decide therefore here is my most successful in competition. It gained a “Highly Commended” in our premiere National competition (or Salon), very recently –
        Under the bridge v5

Someone else’s?
        This changes weekly but most recently I was captured by these photos taken by a Hong Kong man in the 1950’s. I saw them in a newspaper but here is a link I have just found
        http://www.boredpanda.com/hong-kong-street-photography-memoir-fan-ho/

Is there a photographer that inspires you?
        Despite my not being a landscape photographer, the monochrome work of this artist astounded me when I saw it in a gallery. The archival metallic paper also seemed to give his work a special appeal

Black & White Landscapes

What is your biggest challenge when it comes to photography?
        Finding the time to get out there and take the photos. When I get out there I just enjoy it. You have to make time to do it.

Is there anything specific you intend to learn or improve in your photography?
        I intend to do more composites and to develop my skills in this area. Also want to do some macro, but will just buy close-up filters for this.

If people want to follow more of your work where should they go?
        I have many previous photos on Photo.Net but have not added many recently as the feedback in Light Stalking is much better. The images I have on Flickr are almost wholly just to put on here. It strikes me that I should really set up a website or look at what others do about this.

Provide links to 3 or 4 of your favourite images that can be displayed with the interview
        This is one image I love “Virtual Collision?
        Virtual collision  BEST 3 B&W

Really love these two, which I think better than some of my A Grade work
        A Quiet smoke - revised

Driving into the past

and last, but certainly not least
        bo_Active pair_Jim Air

CC: @albirder, @tersha, @kent, @simonparks, @erik-fransman, @chispook

ElinL
        Participant
          • elinlaxdal1
          • https://www.flickr.com/photos/40843248@N07/
          @elax
          • Contender Icon
          • Photo of the Year Winner Icon
          • Member’s Pick Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Rob Wood (Admin)
          Keymaster
            • https://instagram.com/lightstalking
            • https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightstalking
            @admin-2
            • Mobile Maestro Icon
            • Contender Icon
            • Socialite Icon
            Allows Edits? Yes

Great stuff @mistyisle – Good to know you better.

Jumping in a motorhome and going around taking photos is somewhat of a dream of mine. With a couple of young kids I am not sure it will happen soon, but you never know.

Also that shot of the graffiti under the bridge is superb – I see why it did well in a competition.

3pco
            Participant
              @3pco

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Great read, Mistyisle. We have a lot in common. For me, too, the hardest thing is to make time and get out there. And I agree with Admin, the shot under the bridge knocked my socks off.

Bobbie
              Participant
                @bobbie

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Thanks for letting us know you a little Mistyisle.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

David Chesterfield is an IT Manager, light painter and amateur photographer living in Brisbane, Australia. You can follow him on:
            Facebook, Instagramor Flickr.