David Chesterfield
        • Allows Edits: Yes
        @dchester1001
        • Photo of the Week Winner Icon
        • Mobile Maestro Icon
        • Contender Icon
        • Member’s Pick Icon
        Allows Edits? Yes

In this, the first of a new monthly series, we get to learn a little bit more about Diane Wehr. better known in the forums as @albirder.

Tell us a little about yourself and your photography journey.
        The tiny kingdom of Mountain Brook, located in the greater Birmingham, Alabama area, has been home for 27 years. My children are raised, apparently to be quite independent, because they live in distant states. The good news is that travel is required to see them and travel is quite a passion of mine. Even better news is that for the last five years our family has had an unusual commitment to travel together to some very interesting corners of the world. As a retired person, people ask me what I do all day. My answer is, I don’t know, but I do a lot of it. The elderly dog requires a lot of time, as does watching birds. Of course the overlay for all of this is engaging in photography. Taking pictures, processing them, thinking about the art, studying it, or, in my own way, mentoring someone in photography is an important part of the daily fabric of my life.

At twenty four I moved to Germany for three years. What a wonderful opportunity it was to live in a different culture and to travel. It certainly spurred my interest in photography. My husband and I bought a Nikon camera and lenses. We set up a portable darkroom over a bathtub. Everything was manual then. We just did it. Then the world impinged and I took a sabbatical from photography for about 20 years. If DSLRs had been available then, that would not have been my story. I was unwilling to give up post processing control and it was not possible to have a darkroom. Who knew that one day there would be computers and post processing would be done electronically? When DSLRs came on the market, photography drew me back in. I was so proud of my first DSLR, a Kodak. My interest in photography has spanned more than 40 years. I have been taking photos for maybe 20 years.

How would you describe your photographic journey to date?
        In the last decade I have taken course work at two schools of photography in addition to online classes, weekend seminars and, best of all, photography trips to Florida. I am spectacularly bad at evaluating my own work and skill, but when I look at the EXIF of the pictures that I have taken in the last five years, I generally feel that, at least, for the most part I made the right exposure choices. Education pays off! Now what I really like to read is tips and tutorials largely accessed through Facebook. The LightStalking tutorials are excellent. I recommend them all of the time. Jason D. Little, one of the principle tutorial writers for Light Stalking, is my adopted mentor. He does not know about this, of course. Many times he gives voice to how I am thinking about photography. I also listen to a number of photography podcasts including Improve Photography and Street Focus. You have to do something when you are walking with a slow, elderly dog.

Do you have a favourite type or style of photography?
        Travel photography, bird photography and nature photography call me the most. It has recently occurred to me to put together a series called The Life of a Woman. I am adding photos rather slowly, in part because of a requirement for more post processing of the images that have already taken and, in part, because I am still formulating what kinds of images and how many images I want to include. One image that has been included is probably my favorite image of all that I have taken. It has a chance to be iconic within our small family. I believe my daughter-in-law and granddaughter will cherish it over a long, long period of time. Isn’t that the ultimate goal of taking a photo?

California Living - Bay Area, California

How do you maintain inspiration?
        It is not hard for me to stay inspired. I often describe myself as having a busy brain. The latest photography frontier that commands my interest is minimalism. I want to thank @yumarena for her photograph that sparked this interest.

20130202_1332-72

Who knows if I can carve out a minimalist niche in photography. There will have to be a reckoning with high and low key photography, and more important, brain training to look for the simple in compositions. Hmm. I bet this proves challenging.

If you could only use one camera/lens combination for a year, which would you choose?
        Very few things get easier as you age, and photography is certainly not one that gets easier. My photography life is often a work around. For example, my days with DSLRs are pretty much over. They are simply to heavy for me to manage. I can’t go every single place. The silver lining, I suppose, is that sometimes when the options get narrowed, it is easier to choose and then accept the choice. So, if I had to choose just one camera and lens for a year, it would be my Olympus OMD EM1 with the 14-54mm lens f2.8-3.5 that I currently own. It would be just fine.

Is there a photographer that inspires you?
        It seems loyal to choose a female photographer as my favorite photographer. And the winner is: Elena Shumilova. You can see some of her extraordinary pictures here.

http://www.boredpanda.com/animal-children-photography-elena-shumilova/

One way I get a weekly dose of extraordinary photography is Captured: A Photo Blog published weekly on The Week. Here is a link:

http://theweek.com/captured

Exceptional photos from exceptional photographers are posted each week. We have photographs and photographers on Light Stalking whose work absolutely would qualify for the Photo Blog. To that end, I encourage @kentdufault to pursue information about how to submit photos and then submit my current favorite photo

Mount Rushmore by Kent DuFault on Light Stalking

The truth is, though, I do not have to go to The Week to see extraordinary photogaphs. If want to see beautiful pet photos @lburgess is my go to girl. https://www.flickr.com/photos/scimeca/17473423611/in/dateposted-public/ In the mood for a lovely still life? Then you should look at the work of @valeryp.

eggplant with peppers by VALERY on Light Stalking
        Want to peruse jaunty street portraints? @lennywollitz is your man. https://www.flickr.com/photos/eldub1/17172325598/in/dateposted/
        And I could go on and on and on.

I will finish with what I consider the best photography advice I have been given. Each time you take a picture, ask yourself, what are you trying to take a picture of? What are you trying to accomplish?

CC: @admin @albirder

Rob Wood (Admin)
        Keymaster
          • https://instagram.com/lightstalking
          • https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightstalking
          @admin-2
          • Mobile Maestro Icon
          • Contender Icon
          • Socialite Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Superb idea. This is just awesome.

John Thompson
            • Allows Edits: No
            @nikon-nut

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Well done David. I think the others will enjoy your information @albirder I certainly did.

quasiphoto
            Participant
              @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Getting background on photographers of note, seeing what makes them tic so to speak is very enlightening. Cool concept, well done!

Tersha
              Keymaster
                • https://www.flickr.com/photos/diane_rose/
                @tersha
                • Mobile Maestro Icon
                • Contender Icon
                • Member’s Pick Icon
                • Throwdowner Icon
                Allows Edits? Yes

really, really interesting about, @albirder, and the links are a brilliant addition. Great stuff!

David Chesterfield
                  @dchester1001
                  • Mobile Maestro Icon
                  • Contender Icon
                  • Member’s Pick Icon
                  Allows Edits? Yes

Thanks everyone. Diane has certainly set the bar high!

Rob Eyers
                  Participant
                    @reyers
                    • Mobile Maestro Icon
                    • Contender Icon
                    • Member’s Pick Icon
                    Allows Edits? Yes

David you are to be commended for this idea. LS has been a wonderful discovery for me because of the like minded people here. To get to know a little more about some of them is for me a treat.

Thank you for sharing Diane. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Tersha
                    Keymaster
                      @tersha
                      • Mobile Maestro Icon
                      • Contender Icon
                      • Member’s Pick Icon
                      • Throwdowner Icon
                      Allows Edits? Yes

Diane, @albirder, I’ve just followed the link to Elena Shumilova, and her work is outstanding, and so emotional! 🙂

Albirder
                      Participant
                        @albirder

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

@tersha Her pictures are often described as magical. I have never heard that attribute for a photo before, but it certainly describes how I feel about them.

Tersha
                          Keymaster
                            @tersha
                            • Mobile Maestro Icon
                            • Contender Icon
                            • Member’s Pick Icon
                            • Throwdowner Icon
                            Allows Edits? Yes

Yep, I’d go with magical!

quasiphoto
                          Participant
                            @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No
                              Tersha
                              Keymaster
                                @tersha
                                • Mobile Maestro Icon
                                • Contender Icon
                                • Member’s Pick Icon
                                • Throwdowner Icon
                                Allows Edits? Yes

thanks, @quasiphoto. 🙂

Chrissie Bee
                              Participant
                                @chrissiebee

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? Yes

Diane, @albirder, I just discovered Introductions and looked to see who was the first. I was so pleased to see it was you! I loved reading about you and will be clicking on to all the links you provided. I was able to relate to so much that you shared with us including aged dog, having to give photography up for a period of years, struggling with heavy equipment as the years go on, and loving the now obsolete darkroom. You are a a blessing to all of us on Light Stalking and
                                thanks for all the effort and time you give us.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author

David Chesterfield is an IT Manager, light painter and amateur photographer living in Brisbane, Australia. You can follow him on:
                            Facebook, Instagramor Flickr.