Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Anupam
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Life’s too short to hold a grudge or to hold on to things that don’t matter. However it’s still worth holding on to moments that make one smile. What better way to do that than go clicking. My experiments with the cam – I’ll try to showcase here.. Reflection on NatGeo – https://members.nationalgeographic.com/380203550470/

My professional work is at http://InspiredClicks.net

Tobie
          • Allows Edits: Yes
          @tobiepsg
          • Contender Icon
          • Throwdowner Icon
          Allows Edits? Yes

Welcome @anupam! You’re living in an interesting country so I’m looking forward to seeing some shots from you! Nice stuff on your other sites (I could not get into your NatGeo site but I could get into your inspiredclicks site)!

Anupam
          Participant
            @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Thanks @Tobie 🙂 It indeed is interesting and very hot at this time of the year! Sure I’ll post much from my collection here. Thanks for your time you spent browsing InspiredClicks.net 🙂 My NatGeo should be available at “http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/779892/”. If it’s not no worry, I’ll keep posting here on Light Stalking

quasiphoto
            Participant
              @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Hello Anupam,

I got a chance to view your collection at National Geographic. I find them artistic and in some cases mesmerising. You really capture the overall culture in your photography. You will be a welcome addition to this forum.
              I think it may be that one has to have an account with Nat Geo to view your post there as when I entered your URL as posted, it showed up under my personal account there. I don’t know that to be a fact but it may be so.

Cheers,
              Frank

Anupam
                Participant
                  @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Thanks Frank! Your detailed observation is so inspiring 🙂 Ah yes I have an acct on NatGeo hence maybe it’s nwo showing up like a public site.

I’ll keep posting atleast a pic a day on LightStalking like I do on NatGeo. I find this forum very interactive and that’s so nice 🙂

Kent DuFault
                Participant
                  • Allows Edits: Yes
                  @kent
                  • Contender Icon
                  Allows Edits? Yes

Anupam,

Welcome to Lightstalking. I look forward to seeing your work! Kent

Anupam
                    Participant
                      @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Thanks Kent! I hope I am able to keep it all interesting 🙂

Anupam
                    Participant
                      @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No
                        quasiphoto
                        Participant
                          @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

That is a rare shot of what is commonly referred to as a “sun dog”. It is a great weather predictor as these are reflections of sunlight off super cold ice crystals in the atmosphere. They usually are followed by rain as a warm front moves in. The pinks and oranges are usually on the side closest to the sun, and the blue colour is further away from it. This can only be seen when the sun is at a particular angle of about 22 degrees off the horizon, usually in the morning or the evening. There are “moon dogs” also but are more rarely photographed as, well, they are at nighttime…

Splendid capture of a awesome event Anupam.

Anupam
                        Participant
                          @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Wow, thanks aton for enlightening me Quasiphoto! I never knew the nuances behind this spectacle. Wow.. isn’t nature the most wonderful thing till date even after all the gizmos and what not? Thanks again buddy!

quasiphoto
                          Participant
                            @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I am your humble servant Sir.

Anupam
                              Participant
                                @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

🙂 You embarrass me 🙂

tom dinning
                              Blocked
                                @tomdinning

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

What’s with the Nat Geo connection? I tell the wharf ices at the Duck Pond I’m from Nat Geo to impress them and keep them off my back. Any sign of fame and fortune to a deck hand is attractive.
                                So what’s your connection? Anyone can have an account. I have one with Scientific American. Doesn’t make me a scientist – even if I am one by other means.

Anupam
                                  Participant
                                    @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Absolutely Tom, the connection is similar to what I have with Light Stalking. No one aims to be a spectacled ‘I know it all’ by being on NatGeo, here or anywhere. It’s a platform to interact and share my photographic addiction like it’s here on Light Stalking that’s all. It’s noted here as it has much of my personal work on display that I find worthwhile to share. Simple enough ain’t it Tom?

quasiphoto
                                    Participant
                                      @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

My connection with them is this Tom,

1. I like their photographic challenges. They are well thought out and have merit for being instructional.

2. I like the caliber of photography being posted on the site.

3. They allowed even me to participate in various functions of their site, which is encouraging to all levels of photographers.

4. They are not the stuck-up site that those not posting there seem to think it is, I converse with the actual professional editors, (who give me inside into various methods for styles of photographic work). They have a large and professional staff willing to help the struggling new photographer. Not that different from what this site is doing, which is why I joined both sites.

5. Their privacy policy is acceptable, as they have at least given warnings and attempts to block those who would appropriate photographs for use in commercial gain, they copyright and give credit to all who post no matter how good, or poor the photograph is. Nowadays there are sites that will claim all posted material is now their (notice this) PRIVATE property to use, or abuse at their whim, forever, without compensation to the source. You have probably read these privacy statements before, or not, most people don’t bother anymore.
                                      I have heard the old adage that if you don’t want it stolen, then don’t post it. I have never heard a more feeble excuse for supporting bad conduct in my life.
                                      I look at it like this; I grow a field of wheat, or a field of christmas trees, someone sees the field, likes what they see, and cut it all down, hauls it off and sells it while I am on vacation. I get nothing for all the work and effort that went into it. Should that be acceptable along the same premise that if I wasn’t looking to get it stolen, I should not plant it. No difference in my book.

6. National Geographic is a tried and true medium for photographers to utilise for world wide exposure. Sure we are not all professionals, but it is nice to get published in such a distinguished publication even if it is a photograph that doesn’t even reflect ones overall daily photographic skill. A fluke perhaps, none the less, something worth the accolades rendered. I must admit I have never been published, but I find that fact a driving force for me to improve.

7. There should never be a negative stigma attached for using a particular site for displaying ones work. If there is, it only comes from the mind of those trying to do so. I cannot find any reason not to mention what site you post from, or use to store photographs on.

*. If someone thinks that some who post on worldly acclaimed sites are just trying to do so to gain some form of recognition? Well, you are probably right, however, it differs not that some people are posting anywhere else for the same reason of validation.
                                      So if you are somehow offended by the words National Geographic, Hasselblad, or Golf, I feel a little ping of dolor that your life experiences have brought you to feel this way. After all, golf is just a game, hasselblad is just a camera, and Nat. Geo is just another web site. All can and should be used for the pleasure of those who wish to participate in their unique ventures.

Cheers,
                                      Frank

tom dinning
                                        Blocked
                                          @tomdinning

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Just checking you weren’t some name dropper. Simple!

tom dinning
                                          Blocked
                                            @tomdinning

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

So nice of you to spend so much time explaining all that @quasiphoto.
                                            Don’t get your knickers up your arse about it. I can ask. And for fuck sake, stop being such a misery guts. I’m a happy little chappy out here in virtual land. Never been better. Nothing offends me unless someone farts in the elevator while I’m heading for the 11th floor.
                                            You’ve made more assumptions about me than a Murdock Journalist. So what! If any of it were true I’d really be pissed.
                                            So feel free to write what you like, say what you like, eat what you like. And chill out a bit.

XXXX

quasiphoto
                                              Participant
                                                @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Sorry Tom, my bad…

I guess my shorts were a little tight on this particular post. I am apparently not acclimatised to your sense of humour, but I thought you were really wanting to know the connection.
                                                I guess I just mis interpreted your question as stated, “So what’s your connection? Anyone can have an account. I have one with Scientific American. Doesn’t make me a scientist – even if I am one by other means.” Perhaps I should have asked what you meant before answering as it leads me to believe that since I mentioned Nat. Geo., that I would expect to be more validated as a photographer in others eyes for some reason. I don’t know it doesn’t make sense to me now. It sounded just aggressive to me for some reason.
                                                I tend to be very literal in my interpretation of written things, and I seem to have nerves sticking out all over the place that when brushed against even slightly, sends me into a defensive mad dog mode. I now realise how aggressive my response was so I apologise to you.
                                                You may find that I am rather defensive for my friends also, usually I use a bit more tact however, so foot in the mouth for me for that one also.

I will try to chill a bit as it is not my intention to be argumentative against you or anyone else for that matter. Maybe I just need to get my medical marijuana refill…

Hopefully
                                                friendly,
                                                Frank

tom dinning
                                                  Blocked
                                                    @tomdinning

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Hey Frank @hkmp50.
                                                    No need to apologise. I know the feeling. I don’t get American satire either. I’m not suggesting I’m the most literate expose of the Aussie humour but I’m probably up there with the most literal.
                                                    We call it ‘taking the piss’ and the only Aussies that don’t get it are religious zealots, very small children and cane toads, all of which have their intellect in common.
                                                    If we’re going to be best friends I might need to put a white flag up when I’m having a go at you or anyone else here. Nah! That would take the fun out of it.
                                                    I don’t know you from Adam (and he was a sucker for succumbing to a woman’s charm and talking to snakes). So I go in boots and all. In amongst what I say is something to learn or to laugh at. Or both. Or neither. Whichever way you want it.
                                                    This is the internet and I know I’m safe behind my monitor. Unless you know where I live and intend on doing a drive by shooting in the dead of night. So that gives me the freedom to be blunt, to the point, sarcastic and say what I’m thinking.
                                                    In among that bullshit, let me warn you. I’m a fact hunter. Someone states an opinion that is not based on good science or reasoning I’ll be in there with my boots on. IMO isn’t worth shit as a defence against talking rubbish. You either know it to be true or you have a reliable authority.
                                                    Take you, for example. Even now I’m gathering information on you as we get to know each other. No guessing. Just facts. One of them seems to be you understand your own emotions and reactions. Thats a quality I admire. But don’t change the other qualities for my sake. I like a bloke with a bit of spark.

Here’s a picture just for you. Its one of my favourites from my last trip to Sydney.
                                                    I wouldn’t dare put it in the shark tank. There’d be a feeding frenzy.

_DSC7756.jpg by tom dinning on Light Stalking

Anupam
                                            Participant
                                              @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Chill Tom, and nope no name dropping, have fame and name enough to suffice my aspirations already.

tom dinning
                                                Blocked
                                                  @tomdinning

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I noticed, @anupam. Looks like you’re taking over the sub-continent. How’s that working for you?
                                                  I might use you’re name to impress someone. Personally, I probably envy you a bit. Young, strong ambitious, good looking. All worthwhile attributes for getting on in life; none of which I ever had. If I mentioned your name around the traps in Darwin I don’t think I would get a look-in, so, when I am confronted with a fish-smelling, half-drunk, tattooed, tanned and angry fisherman at my favourite photo location I always drop a name. National Geographic works for me. If I mention the NT News I get netted and locked in the hull. So now its a local joke around the Wharfs. “Here comes the block from National Geographic”. It gets me the shots I want, a certain level of respect I definitely don’t deserve and, on the occassion, some fish, prawns and a swig of rum.
                                                  If you’re ever in Darwin, I’ll take you down there.

duck pond 5.jpg by tom dinning on Light Stalking

20111103_4436.jpg by tom dinning on Light Stalking

Anupam
                                                Participant
                                                  @anupam

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

You amuse me Tom and very few flolks are able to. Well I don’t know about the subcontinent but certainly i think I’ve hit ur subconsciousness. How does it feel being as sarcastic and saddist as u r? Bet its a high in itself isn’t it. Well I’ve diff addictions and thank God for that. Tk care my friend, as the war of words ain’t worth my time at least. Happy stalking, do it as usual and feel sadistically blissed as usual again. Cheers and I rest my case. Nothing u say or write will irk so best of luck .. Oh time to poo, so long

Viewing 10 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author