Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      philip
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @philip

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I love to travel and take photos, i used to have landscapes, popular sites as favorite subjects, but i have since do more street photography and portraits. The places i visit, i try to understand the culture and interact with the people. Though i only hold a camera when i travel which is not very often. 🙂
        I just read an article by Dzvonko Petrovski,” Let’s Think a Little Deeper Before Photographing the Homeless” and i said i think i want to learn more from Light Stalking.
        I’ve always liked the B&W from Life magazine, so i don’t have”First” that got me hooked, I am 58 yrs, i started with my father’s Nikon FTN, stopped taking photos, and got back 6 yrs ago, when i had my first DSLR. I use Lumix Micro4/3 system.

quasiphoto
        Participant
          @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Hello Philip,

Something you said peaked my interest, that being that you have a 4/3 system. As I am relatively new to photography I have yet to learn what that actually is. I keep thinking 4/3 is equal to 1 and 1/3 so now you have one camera and another one third of a camera. How is that possible, does it look like a camera that has a back pack of 1/3 camera attached to it? It is a little confusing to me. Perhaps you could explain it a little so I don’t feel like such an idiot.
          Welcome to the forum and I can’t wait to see what your camera actually does.

Frank

philip
            Participant
              @philip

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Hi Frank, Micro 4/3 system are mirrorless interchangeable lens digital cameras & camcorders. The Four Thirds system uses a 4:3 image aspect ratio, in common with other compact digital cameras but unlike APS-C or full-frame DSLRs which usually adhere to the 3:2 aspect ratio of the traditional 35 mm format. (Wikipedia)
              What i like about it is its size, it is light and has interchangeable lenses. Ideal for travel photography. Most Olympus & Panasonic lenses are compatible. I use a 50mm lens on my Panasonic Lumix cameras. My first micro 4/3 camera was a Lumix GF1, upgraded to GX1 and now am really hooked with the GM5.
              The photos in my album are a mixed lot from cameras that i have used. I will make a note, if i can, of what camera i used on the photo. But i have been using the GM5 & the GF1 on my last travels (Myanmar & Singapore.) I am new to Lightroom, but you can check my pictures on FB,philip del carmen.
              I hope i satisfied your question.

quasiphoto
            Participant
              @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

hi Philip,

Thanks for that information, it has been driving me crazy for a while now. That explanation was much needed to quell my curiosity. I think I have it now, so you don’t actually have one and a third cameras in one, you have a 4:3 aspect ratio like some have a 3:4 ratio. Cool beans!

Oh, I don’t use Facebook as I don’t approve of their terms of use or their privacy statement.. Just can’t seem to agree with giving them permission to commercially use uploaded content (including trademarked or copyrighted photographs for their own commercial gain without any consideration or compensation of any kind). Just saying…

Thanks 🙂

Frank.

philip
              Participant
                @philip

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Frank do you post photos?

quasiphoto
                Participant
                  @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Sorry Philip, I haven’t been posting photos here yet (other than two trial ones), as I do not see their privacy statement or terms of use statement anywhere. I am very concerned when it comes to others abusing their web sites to gather and appropriate postings (i.e..facebook, twitter etc.) using them for commercial gain without compensation to the artist. I do not want to insinuate that LS would do that but they have not claimed not to, so I am a bit apprehensive. I do have some posted on the National Geographic site, and on other more private forums that have provided statements that I can agree to, but I am not sure anyone other than members can see them. If I am not mistaken, you can see the two I have posted by clicking on my avatar which leads you to my profile. Under my name you should see forums click on that and you should see one labeled “trial post”. That should let you see at least one of mine. Are you familiar with the National Geographic web site?

philip
                  Participant
                    @philip

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

Those are beautiful photos! Well honestly i do not entirely understand how all these “waivers” on protection of intellectual property rights mean. When i came back to photography, i was with Multiply, it was going really well until it folded. I am not totally sold on Flicker and I only joined FB after our trip to Nepal last Nov and after my son found me a way to watermark multiple files in one go and reduce its resolution. I then had the courage to start in FB. I know watermarks can be dealt with by unscrupulous hacks, but so be it, if they grabbed my image, heck it must be worth something.
                    No i am not familiar with Nat Geo website. I will check it out.

Thanks, i hope you get a glimpse of my album and feel free to say what you will. I appreciate critiques. But be careful of what you say! 🙂

Cheers!

quasiphoto
                      Participant
                        @hkmp50

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I agree Philip, that is something I must get over, as there seems to be no way to communicate with others online without giving access and permissions to whoever owns the site. I think it is tragic that the web is now so governed. I guess that is progress…. Thank you for your complement as it means a great deal to me to gain some form of recognition for the efforts I give to this particular field. I hope to post more, but for now I will just wait a bit till I hear from the Administrator of this site on that topic. Thanks for the conversation, I look forward to more of it! 🙂

Cheers,
                        Frank

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author