Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      mariposa
      Participant
        • Allows Edits: No
        @mariposa

No Achievements Yet!

Allows Edits? No

I opened the box and quickly scanned every slide, holding them toward the fluorescent light in the ceiling. There were a lot of duds. Some were okay. One was stunning.

In 9th Grade media class they handed out Nikon bodies and lenses encouraging us to shoot as much film as we wanted. Box after box I got back sucked. Then that magic day when one image told me I could do this. It was composed properly. It was exposed properly. Colors were vibrant and alive. I remember taking the shot, but didn’t remember what settings I chose on the camera, but it didn’t matter. I knew I selected the right settings for the right reasons and if I could select correctly once, I could select correctly again and again and again.

After gawking at that image over and over, remembering what I was learning, my boxes began to fill with better and better shots. Only years later did someone reveal to me that shooting color positive slide film was more demanding of the photographer than color negative. “If you can regularly expose correctly with slide film, you can shoot anything.”

I was hooked. That was over 30 years ago.

Pick up a camera. Shoot. Surprise yourself.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

About Author