This story went viral a couple of days ago and it’s probably one of the saddest we’ve seen in a while.
An Instagram influencer with over one million followers, Ekaterina Didenko, and her birthday party attendees were part of a stunt that involved dumping some fifty-five pounds of dry ice into a swimming pool to create a “fog effect” that tragically went awry. It was part of Ekaterina’s birthday celebration at a sauna and bath.
In a video posted online, one person is seen jumping into the pool of water and dry ice and flailing around. It is reported that some partygoers immediately got sick and fainted.
Three people died. Two twenty-five-year-olds, Natalia Monakova and Yuri Alferov, were pronounced dead at the scene while the Instagrammer’s husband, Valentin Didenko, died at the hospital. He was 32 years old. He was also the father of two children with Ekaterina, The Daily Mail reports.
Four partygoers remain in the hospital as of press. As many outlets are pointing out, dry ice is the solid form of carbon dioxide. In large quantities, carbon dioxide can be very deadly.
Placing dry ice into water makes the chemical process of sublimation much, much quicker.
These factors plus the small size of the venue compounded the deadliness of the situation.
Dry ice is often used as a visual effect in photography but, as PetaPixel points out, you should know what you’re doing in order to avoid tragic consequences.
You can watch a video of this story by a Russian news station by clicking here.
What do you think of this story? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below if you like.
And don’t forget to check out some of our other photography news articles here on Light Stalking by clicking this link right here.
This is awful. Was the pool indoor or outdoor?
The pool was an indoor pool at a local bathhouse it seems.
what’s sad is how she is capitalizing on her husband’s death. she has gained an additional 500,000 subscribers.