A Moment Stolen

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank A Moment Stolen

This topic contains 15 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Anne Hornsby 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

bucweeet
    Participant

Haven't posted here in a while… so I'm ready for it.

1/500 @ f/11

200mm

ISO 100

billyspad
    Blocked

Ya should indeed be ready for it! Big sea but we knew the oceans were on the large side. Tiny people in relation to lots of water. Probably common knowledge about relative size of people and an ocean. So what is the moment what are they stealing and why? Does anybody care? I doubt it mate. Dem folks is too small to get involved with. Zoom in to 100% and small people become blurry small people Too much thinking required for a poor image. Whats the idea behind the straggly out of focus weeds in the foreground? Crop them out and we are no further forward but it looks a damn site tidier.

Looking for something, anything in fact, in the image has worn ol'billy out. Taking a nap. Feel free to wake me up and give me a clue about this. Feel quite sure you are in possession of all your marbles generally so prepared to admit I am missing the plot here.

Perhaps there is no plot and its a cunning ploy to get Graham talking about his dogs bowels again? Might add a bit of color and interest to Honey I Shrunk the Kids meets The Pacific?

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  billyspad.

Robert Apple

I feel like this really needs some 🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈 🦈  Sharks, in the literal sense. Clone in some dorsal fins.

Richard Barnard
    Participant

Sorry but feels more like an image stolen rather than a minute as this one feels devoid of any interest to me. The bulls eye placement of your subject in the vast expanse of negative space and a catchy title is not enough to draw and hold my attention I'm afraid.

Winogrand reminds us that photographers often mistake the emotion they feel while taking a photograph as a judgement that the photograph is good. Maybe you were caught up in the joy of the holiday and this scene now brings back a host of happy memories for you (nothing wrong with that). Unfortunately, as a dispassionate observer, apart from seething resentment about not having been abroad for a holiday this year, I don't make any connection with this shot and little to hold my eye and want to linger.

Frank
    Participant

“….photographers often mistake the emotion they feel while taking a photograph as a judgement that the photograph is good.”  This is such an easy trap to fall into.   Very important to remember it.

Albirder
      Participant

Ho, boy that is the truth and then some.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Albirder.

bucweeet
    Participant

Thanx for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Richard and Frank – thanx for implying that I think my images are good. In very rare cases do I think that they are – anything above- totally average at best.

As for the image itself… I quite often post images to see the reactions by others. This is one of them. And it appears that I was correct in my assumption that most, if not all, would view it from – the photographer's eye. In other words… what is the subject of the image? What is the story??…. In this particular case, it is – not – the people on the board; nor is it their smallness in relation to the ocean.

For this one, the subject is you – the viewer… and it is – your moment – that has been stolen. In this instance, you are on a hill looking down at this family on the board in the distance. The blurry trees confirms that one is watching from a distance and observing what is around them. (Yes I wish there were a few more bushes, but one gets what one gets). You have wasted this moment looking down at them… they have stolen it.

Yeah, I know, kinda' hard to wrap one's mind around. One has to step back and attempt to view it with different eyes. As I said… as a photographer it's hard to do. We have trained our eyes and thoughts to look within an image for a subject or a story.

Sometimes there are no stories, only what we see.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  bucweeet.

billyspad
      Blocked

99.99% of the time there are no stories mate only what people imagine or quite simply make up. The more you study the supposed phenomena of stories revealed in two dimensional images displaying 100th a second of real time the more you realize my percentage is about right

Richard Barnard
    Participant

… and sometimes the meaning of a photograph is so obscure that it forever remains locked away in the mind of the photographer. Nothing wrong with that as long as we do not post in a public forum and are arrogant enough to expect our audience to be mind readers.

Forgive me for falling into the obvious trap of providing you with a ‘photographers eye’ based critique in response to your post but delighted to have been able to confirm your predictions. For future reference you may want to consider posting something along the lines of the Rorschach ink blot as this tends to be a more reliable and efficient way of analysing the reactions of your audience. The added bonus being we would then know what we are responding to.

Now I really do need that holiday.

Frank
    Participant

From an article on this website by Jason Row about Landscape Composition:

“This is where negative space comes in to play. We isolate our subject on a clean background, perhaps a sky or glass-like lake surface. We then frame the subject so that the “nothingness” in the background inherently draws our eye to the subject.

It's a tricky technique to get right. If our subject is too small in frame it gets lost. If it is too big, we lose the impact of that negative space.

Get it just right however and you will end up with an image with huge visual impact from relative simplicity.”      (Jason includes a photo as an example)

Key point for you here:  “If our subject is too small in the frame it gets lost.”

Rob Eyers
    Participant

hehehehe …Paul you're killing me!! jajajaja

Falxy
    Participant

yeah with Frank…………….frankly 🙂

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Good Humor!

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

I feel like the centered position of the person breaks up the negative space into competing quadrant  interest areas instead of a uniform negative  space to contrast with and counterbalance a figure placed perhaps on the bottom right rule of thirds intersection.  I hate the use of the words “rule of thirds” because it is so often bandied about as a dictum and is given vastly too much importance IMHO.  I use it here simply  to identify a place where the figure MIGHT  be moved to.

bucweeet
      Participant

Thanx for your thoughts Gary.  But as I mentioned, the image is not about the people on the board so I don't mind them being centred (in this particular image).

But I do agree with you that the placement of the subject within an image is very important and can ‘make or break' an image.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

This discussion resonates with the Storytelling discussion Erik started  under General Chit chat…

I guess I'm a big fan of negative space and vast oceans.   Given Rob's comment, I may be missing key points of this discussion, Paul, but here is my edit, which leaves me enjoying this image.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.