A sunset photo gone wrong!

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank A sunset photo gone wrong!

This topic contains 25 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Sarthak Choudhary 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

I was trying to get a pic of the tree with the Sun in the background, but I couldn't go to the right spot so I decided to make do with this photo instead.

18mm F 4.5 ISO-100 1/320s

shot using nikon af-p 18-55 & d3300

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

Original:

billyspad
    Blocked

For a make do shot its OK. Quite easy on the eye but less than memorable. For a guy last week that did not like red skies what brought about the change?

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I am not sure if a blue sunset would look good.

Guess I can try and find out for myself.

Richard Barnard
    Participant

It's exactly as you describe it to me – a ‘make do' shot of a sunset, nothing more, nothing less. I feel there is little I can add that you don't already know yourself as reflected in your title and description.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

Almost all the pics I have taken during this trip are tilted.

Albirder
        Participant

That is a pity. I have a leveler that I can put on my viewing screen, as an option. Taking a level picture is important enough to me that I am willing to give up valuable “real estate” on the screen to have it. I really believe that pictures taken on level, even when there are not horizontal or vertical lines in the picture, tend to be better than non-level pictures. As an alternate method, line the horizontal edges or vertical edges of the screen with the line you want level, like the horizon on the edge of a building.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Well you have a diagonal, a subject, some nice color so my suggestion would be to get rid of everything that isn't needed. In future maybe try and get the horizon straight in camera.  Here's my take on it.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I actually wanted to use boundary as a diagonal but I also wanted the silhouette and those two don't seem to go along very well.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hi Sarthak, I think Rob's suggestion makes sense because the square composition enhances the diagonal element in this shot.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

Well, honestly I didn't think about square crop but to me it seems that half the image in black is too much.

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

Alternate crops:

1.)Cropped square

Sarthak Choudhary
    Participant

2.) Square_wide

Dorothy
    Participant

Hi Sarthak Choudhary:  i took your original, cropped with content aware to straighten the horizon (which i see can still use a little work but just wanted to show that by using the content aware in crop we don't lose as much of the photo when straightening it) and took out the sun that totally distracted me. went into camera raw and adjusted a little to my taste. (could have easily left total silhouette) bottom line, i just thought there was too much sun 🙂 sunset gone wrong s choudhary edit dms

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Dorothy.

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

I wasn't aware of the capabilities of content aware crop! I didn;t thought sun was distraction, I wanted to frame it such that I get a sunset and the tree. But I think this small sun is not working as great subject.

How did you take out the sun? Clone stamping?

I liked I better with silhouette.

Dorothy
        Participant

ok, i get it.  i just figured out the content aware crop myself, that is why it came to mind, pretty cool. (it does take a little time to process depending on your computer). all i did was a little healing on the sun.

Dorothy
    Participant

@sarthakchoudnary  still getting a handle on negotiating this site. not sure if i just reply and you get a notice or if i need to do the @ format. so, i did a reply and now have done the @. i think this ‘tags' you and let's you know i posted but doesn't just replying to your post do the same?  sometimes my age sneaks through. 🙂

Sarthak Choudhary
      Participant

It isn't your fault, I usually check the forum on weekends only. I get a reply notification whenever someone replies to my post.

The only issue is I get a notification even when I reply to a comment on my own post.

Dorothy
        Participant

ok, thanks, i wondered, especially when it said i had a notification and realized it was just my response. lol  we live, we learn.

Falxy
    Participant

it aint bad at all………..it aint straight man…………..straighten for glory!! 🙂

Falxy
    Participant

lol………….and its not a command cus its your vision……and that rules!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.