ah back too normal

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank ah back too normal

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Falxy 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Falxy
    Participant

_DSC1594-Edit-2

ฦ’/3.5
    58.0 mm
    1/640

need some feedback here………..desperate with proud parents and all…….good job they know me!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Roger Wehage
    Participant

Ah…what can I say? If you could ever get your model to pose like that again I would suggest to put a small pad inside the hat so it doesn't cover the eyes. Also make sure to focus directly on the eyes.

billyspad
    Participant

Great idea love the over large hat and no problem with it falling over the eyes. Brim of the hat seems to be the focus point the face is a bit soft. Smaller aperture maybe?ย  Why B/W? Its ended up a little flat and lacking in tonal range. Admire your courage my friend. Only tried a baby portrait once and the little fella screamed squarked and cried for an hour in between vomiting and filling his diaper. Never again!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Wonderful concept Duncan. Too bad the DOF was so shallow. I have a couple of suggestions to try if you care.

1. Adjust levels a tiny, tiny bit as it seems a touch washed out.
    2. Add a little “blur” sharpening to the mouth, nose, and eyes which will help with the missed focal point.
    3. Try a reverse custom shape vignette to fade the edges to white. This may help the subject feel more in focus.

Would show, but your prefs. are set to no editing.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Great shot Falxy. Some technical points already mentioned are valid but still a heart melting pic.

What would you think about moving the crop down so that the baby was nearer the top of the frame? With that ‘flying' pose, more room at the bottom of the frame would put some ‘air' under his/her wings. The large hat seems to be flattening the poor thing at the bottom of the frame ๐Ÿ™‚

Mistyisle
    Participant

Good attempt, Falxy, but others more skilled than I have commented.ย  I think that it cannot compare, at all, with your other marvellous image (taken at much the same time?).

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hello Duncan, this pose looks really adorable and it definitely works in b&w.

I'm with Rob when it comes to editing suggestions – adjusting levels a little bit would make this image stronger Now it's kinda flat in terms of tonal contrast.

Falxy
    Participant

yep agree with all comments……………. ie nearly there…………concur ! ๐Ÿ™‚

Rob with respect…………no editing for a reason…………tis mine my friend! ๐Ÿ™‚

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Falxy.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I do respect your wish Duncan, although I find submissions to ST and it to be contradictory. Cโ€™est la vie.

chris pook
    Participant

I like this a lot/.ย  It proves that not only do new born babies look like Winston Churchill, some try to dress like him.ย  Agree on the point of focus but it is marginal, and only a ‘tog would critique / notice that.ย  Also agree with Jas on upping the contrast.ย  I would be interested to see how it looks using SilverFxPro for the BW Conversion, but completely respect your choice not to have others edit your, err, babies.ย  Nice one Falxy, well played.ย  I bet the parents are happy – they should be.

billyspad
    Participant

For future reference let me get this right. With a modern camera set up correctly overall sharp focus is no problem but if you post a picture of a very cute child then ST rules do not apply and and the ooh's argh's and sugar coated commenting can be applied?

Happy to be a Tog cos I do notice and pretty sure the photographer is aware of the problem as well. By the way someone fill me in here, what's a tog?

chris pook
      Participant

Ah, short for a photographer.ย  I don't know that it is about ooh's and aahh's but it is a not badly rendered photograph of what is an unusual subject for Falxy.ย  You are right of course, it is not pin sharp on focus, and it could be.ย  My comment really is that it just doesn't matter that much to me.

Most of Falxys stuff is interesting, and not really my taste.ย  Each to his own and respect for following a different path.ย  When I see something he produces that I like, I will say so.ย  I have never been particularly good at rule.ย  ๐Ÿ˜‰

Falxy
    Participant

LOL Chris mate……laugh…yeah all right…..its shit.

done for friends…………..you all know scenario'oh ur a photographer'………thinking oh god i cant refuse………..

i havn't even looked through properly the images…………just found one that would maybe get some response from you moribund lot! ๐Ÿ™‚

gave up thinking of commercial image making a long bit ago,and leaving the eu………………..just purely fun but you boys and girls….shite……..girls and boys…give me the space to air my infrequent images in the infamous ST(my home for quite awhile…………whats weird is although ive learnt some….i really dont give a……its an extension to my ‘artistic side'……………can dip in and out…………….but you know it is an important refuge in my life this site,well the ST cus not into lovely adjectives on pretty ordinary pics………..rubbing each others backs……………lol ! ๐Ÿ™‚

To any up and coming budding imagemakers……………yeah learn the rules,learn the camera………then make it your own cause once learned your in YOUR element like a painter.

thx Rob you Aussie wotsit……………..my lad is a civil engineer working in ahh Sydney! ๐Ÿ™‚

enuf Falx/Dunc x

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.