An Old Bristlecone Pine Tree

Home Photography Forums Landscape Photography An Old Bristlecone Pine Tree

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Hart 3 days, 16 hours ago.

• Author

Roger Wehage
    Participant

This bristlecone pine near Spectra Point in Cedar Breaks National Monument is one of several nearly 2000 year old trees in the area. Yes, I know, I know. This photo was taken at high noon with a polarizing filter attached to a kit lens and antique 6.3MP camera. The image was edited in Photos but would likely fare better in Luminar 3 or Affinity Photo after I get the hang of this editing stuff. What I want to see in my images is what I saw on the trail, not what I would see in travel brochures and art galleries. That is the main reason I'm here.

Why do I like my version? When was the last time anyone enjoyed staring at a painted-up image of Tammy Faye Bakker? I've hiked hundreds of miles and hours through the great southwest, and seldom have I seen anything resembling Photo-Shopped “wall-hanger” images that one might pay hundreds of dollars for. The common “professional photographer” response to my images taken during my normal hiking hours is, “Their place is in the trash.” If it ain't shot in the golden or blue hour with mega dollar equipment, then it ain't fit for any wall.

My goal is to make my “sows-ears” photos look closer to the great images still in my mind. I took this photo at 12:57 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time, because that's when I was there, not at 5:00 a.m. or 9:00 p.m. when I should not be out on dangerous mountain trails, considering that my secondary goal was to reach 75 in five days.

Tom M
    Participant

I can see a wall hanger with a shot taken at or after blue hour…

Graham Hart
    Participant

Personally, even with a reasonably modern DSLR I still need a healthy dose of PP just to get my ordinary pics looking as good as this one taken on your old camera. Love the colours and light in the background for that amazing tree.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.