Beach Cottage in Le Moule

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Beach Cottage in Le Moule

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Maureen Photo 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Maureen Photo
    Participant

55 mm, 1/5000, F5.6, ISO 320.  (I should have used ISO 100, didn't need 1/5000).

I am drawn to old run-down buildings.  This one is in Le Moule Guadeloupe, a coastal town which is surprisingly untouristy and has some old character.

Maureen Photo
    Participant

Graham Hart
      Participant

Very nice contrasts in this great B&W shot. Agree with everything said already, particularly Kent's comments about a strong focal point. I'm actually thinking one way of doing this might have been to take wider shot in order to make the buildings less prominent and more of a destination for the eye rather than something for the eye to start at and wander away from? I don't know what the surrounding landscape is like so this may not be a good idea but just a thought.

3pco
    Participant

I like run-down buildings too, although around here we tend to get more barns. I use a slower shutter speed for the barns because they don't move as fast as beach cabanas, but that's another story.

This is a nice front-on of a cool old facade, with respectable verticals that an architect would approve of. The three doors provide a nice focus. I am mildly distracted by the other shack on the far left edge. If not constrained by aspect ratio, you might crop it away. Or clone it out and paint in more sky. Maybe raise the shadows on the far right. I find myself wondering if you might not have shot from closer and with a wider lens, so as not to see the more modernish pointed roof on the right. Or just clone it away and paint in more sky. Nit picks, it's a nice shot.

Although I like the harsh treatment which suggests the mid-day sun, the dark blue sky, which you seem to be fond of, is just too much of a good thing, maybe. It invokes this black-velvet drama thing that competes with the facade of the shacks. I would lighten it and just maintain contrast with the clouds.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Overall, I like the image. Your conversion to b&w is good- with an excellent tonal range. That being said… I can't help feeling that something is missing that would make this great. What that would be… I'm not sure. The clouds are so dramatic, and so prominent in contrast and shape- that they really draw a lot of attention upward and away from the buildings. The buildings are cool. But, as you've composed this… they don't hold enough visual weight to fully function as the subject (in my opinion). I think what was needed (I'm thinking as I'm writing this)- was a strong focal point somewhere near the door on the left. That could have been as simple as a dog sitting there, a person, a strong graphic element such as a piece of graffiti, maybe the door is slightly ajar. Something… that really plants the eyes there on that door at the end of the visual journey through the photograph.

Maureen Photo
    Participant

All excellent ideas and comments, thanks!  (Note, beach shacks don't generally move more than barns … unless there's a hurricane.) I had decided to challenge myself and brought only a 55MM prime lens.  I also did this to get high quality; I had brought a zoom on a prior trip and wasn't happy with the results, it just didn't seem to capture the sharpness and magic.  So … going for a wider angle wasn't an option because I stood across the street as far back as possible.

I'm working on the improvements and the  concept of adding a person, but struggling with the technicality of giving him a shadow.  More u-tubes to watch.  I'll get back to y'all with something, because I do like this shot.

bucweeet
    Participant

It looks better large.

I would be tempted to add a layer and clone out the power/telephone wire on the LH side as well as clone out the triangular sign (either on the same layer or a new one). Then show/hide the layers to see if my eyes like the image better/worse with these two objects in it.

Maureen Photo
    Participant

OK, this is it.  I decided against adding an actual person because he wasn't in focus, plus the shadow issue.

bucweeet
    Participant

I like the edit/crop Maureen.

I'm undecided about the triangular sign on the LH side. Is it an eye-snag, or does it bring that little bit of tension to the image that provides the extra layer of interest. I'm thinking with the sign removed the image will become fairly ‘static' in nature.

As for my original suggestion regarding cloning out the power/telephone line… I like having it in in this version. For my eyes, it works well as a leading line for my eyes, bringing my view to the buildings. Like the triangular sign, I think the image becomes somewhat static without it.

The graffiti is the perfect addition to the image Maureen.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  bucweeet.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I'm a big thumb's up as well. Much better!

Maureen Photo
    Participant

Thanks!  Yeah I debated about the sign and wire, but decided to keep them since it's a grungy kind of picture not intended for perfect beauty.  And I think the sign looks a bit like a beach umbrella or palm tree, in which case it echoes the palm trees in the grafitti.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>
Skip to toolbar