Bird Brains III

This topic contains 114 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  Lynne Guenther 1 month ago.

• Author

Robert Apple

Its been a year since the last one and a few new members, so what new photos of our feathered freinds do you have to share.
    Ive posted posted this before and am doing it again only for reference for the next photo.
    Male Red Winged Black Bird
    Such a Poser
    It took me a while to identify this bird but got a clue when I saw one leave the nest a male was tending. The female Red Winged Black Bird insn't black at all, though when she gets older she may devlope mottled red patches on her wings but will always remain this color. Ive been around these birds all my life fishing, and trapping the wet lands and never knew that until now.

Immature Female Redwinged Blackbird.

Tobie

He's a real beauty Robert!

I usually share my favorite shots here so I'm not sure what to add. Perhaps my last shot of our new hatchling in the Verreaux's Eagles nest at our local botanical gardens. It was way too far for my kit (D600 + Tamron 150-600mm) but I guess there's enough to see that he's growing well (about chicken size here):

eaglet

Tobie

“Oh, have you heard about Trump's tweet about South African land grabs?”

A few Bronze Waxbills chilling out in the early morning sun.

waxbills

Robert Apple

All good one Tobie but this is my favorite.

Tobie

Glad you like it Robert! 🙂

Tobie

A Cape Bunting as curious as the photographer

bunting

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Nice shot! I love the background bokeh; really makes the little guy pop.

Kylee K.
    Participant

Shared this photo in the shark tank earlier. Thanks to Robert, I now know it's an Eastern Kingbird.

Robert Apple

Very nice Kylee , liked it in the tank as well.

Tobie

Nice one!

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Love the bokeh here as well as the color contrast (green vs black)! Great job 🙂

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

Great composition!

Kylee K.
    Participant

I also have this photo of a Broad-winged hawk. I wish it were a sharper image. Unfortunately it was pretty far away.

Robert Apple

He is a beauty.

Tobie

Enough there to see that it's a real beauty Kylee!

Kylee K.
    Participant

Thanks! Also, I was taking photos yesterday and spotted this mourning dove on a fence.

Robert Apple

Doves are kind of my nemesis Kylee, we have literally thousands of the in Buffalo and they have become a pest around here in the way pigeons are in some cities.
      Your photo makes me think maybe I should be photographing them since they are in such abundance. Make some lemonade.

Lynne Guenther
        Participant

yeah, they are always around here like pigeons too. But I still take their pics. Common birds need love too! lol I used PS to give him a tropical vibe, lol…i made LIMEade with my lemon.

bucweeet
    Participant

I'm guessing this fits the occasion almost perfectly…

Tobie

These guys always make cute shots, LOL! Love it!

@paul-3

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

Bears a strange resemblance to what I see in the mirror every morning…

Robert Apple

Perfectly Paul.

Tom M
    Participant

A bird from the Nashville Zoo. Not especially sharp. Don't know what it is. Tobie?

Robert Apple

Looks like a South American bird , probably a Blue-Crowned Motmot

Tobie

Sorry I only saw this now Tom. I'm not familiar with too many non-South African birds but this appears to be an Amazonion or otherwise Blue-crowned motmot.

Graham Hart
    Participant

“Are you talkin' to me?”

Tobie

And check out (compared to my image of him higher up) how this handsome guy has grown in 2 weeks (image captured on 8 Sept)! We expect him to take his first flight any day now…

eagle

Graham Hart
    Participant

Meet Walter…

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  Graham Hart.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Landing gear check, flaps down…

Tobie

Beautiful!

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Common Crackle

Common Crackle, Cherry Creek State Park, Centennial, CO

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Great Blue Heron

Great Blue Heron, Cherry Creek State Park, Centennial, CO

Robert Apple

Landing Pad
    Landing Pad

Bruce Gordon
      Participant

That's an excellent shot! Aerodynamically, you caught him at maximum flare for the landing. I think he's getting all the lift possible with such a low airspeed. Look at the shape of his wings; amazing!

LeanneC
      Participant

Love these guys, Robert. Also, Canada's national bird 🙂
      We have had them try to lift stuff off our BBQ, though. And it is fun to get them to land in your hand to get food.

Robert Apple

Thanks Gordon, we had four of these Grey Jays hanging around the camp the whole weekend we were there, for those that don't know that is this Alpine Birds M.O. ,thus their common nickname Camp Robbers, one even got so bold as to fly into the trailer and steal some dog food, the dog wasn't impressed.

LeanneC
    Participant

A bit of a different bird image…Every year at this time we get large flocks of Bohemian waxwings. They target our Mountain Ash trees and the junipers (they like berries). It is quite spectacular to see them swoop in and they even create a wind as they fly over. I am not sure what possessed me to point my camera up, but the lens survived, unscathed!

The Flock

Graham Hart
      Participant

Cool shot Leanne. With their body/wing shape, they almost looks like a squadron of spitfires passing overhead 🙂

Robert Apple

Great Shot Leanne

Dave Watkins
      Participant

I don't use protective filters on my lenses but in this case….. 🙂

LeanneC
        Participant

Haha! Yes. Makes a strong case for protective filter use.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Dark-eyed Junco.

Graham Hart
      Participant

A picture perfect pose. Love the BG bokeh.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Sometimes our feathered friends cooperate. Not often but sometimes. 🙂

LeanneC
      Participant

Great catch! Very nice details. These are one of my winter favourites. More often than not, the ring-necked doves chase them away though 🙁

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Leanne. “My” birds here get harassed by the starlings.

Robert Apple

Good One Dave

Wedge-tailed Eagle. Australia's largest raptor.

P3030764

Barking Owl also known as the winking owl

P3030494

Robert Apple

I see the tethers on Him, is he a trained hunter, great photo.

Thanks Robert – yes he is part of a Raptors show at a local wildlife sanctuary.

White bellied sea eagle.

P3030219

Tersha
      Keymaster

Great set David, very regal birds.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Southern Lapwing – Costa Rica

Southern Lapwing

Robert Apple

Cool bird Rob, would love to see one with its wings spread from those hints of colors.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Bare-Throated Tiger Heron

Bare-throated Tiger Heron - male

Tersha
      Keymaster

agreed, beautiful Rob!

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

where do you live, interesting birds! great pics!

Robert Apple

Beautiful Rob

LeanneC
    Participant

Bohemian Waxwings

Waxwing Feast III

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Such cool looking birds. The two on the outside facing opposite directions with heads down and the middle Waxwing looking up makes for a great composition. It's also nice that the exposed ground and berries are similar in color to the birds themselves. Nice shot Leanne.

My book of regional bird species lists the Cedar Waxwing but I've not been lucky enough to see any.

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Dave! I was almost standing in the flock when I shot this, so I was very fortunate to catch it. The Bohemian's seem to congregate wherever there are berries leftover. We happen to have 2 Mountain Ash and a bunch of Junipers in our yard that they just love. I would guess the Cedar Waxwings would display similar preferences. Hope you get to see them someday!

Robert Apple

Lovely LeAnne , they are just starting to show up here, and it looks like some spring weather is too.

LeanneC
        Participant

Yay! This winter feels like a long one. Happy for spring to arrive.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Really, really nice shot Leanne!

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

I had 5 of these little butt heads flying around my yard at the speed of light today, and no one would stop for a pic. I have in focus, in flight, but they are boring…just look like bullets! LOL wings all tucked, apparently, they glide a lot

Rob Eyers
    Participant

You have several good images of these Cedar Waxwings on Flickr Leanne, but this trio is my favourite. We don't see them back here in southern Ontario until May when they feed on our Juniper. I'm surprised to see them finding berries buried in the snow.

LeanneC
      Participant

Hey Rob. Thanks. Yes, they love our Junipers too! I was surprised that they were on the ground getting berries too. Some were actually digging in the snow to bring them up. They had been by a couple of weeks early and emptied the tree of berries. One of our vehicles was covered in berry “juice” They are not tidy eaters!

John Thompson

WOW!  So very well done to everyone posting pics here.  I am so jealous.  We have few birds in the desert and I do not have a lens I could capture them with anyway.  All the birds pics are so enjoyable to view.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Male Brewers Blackbird.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Nice one Dave. I find black difficult to get right and this one has good detail.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Rob. I agree. Blacks can be tricky. I'll give at least partial credit to Pentax's latest “entry level” camera the K-70. Paired with the 55-300mm PLM. In this case maxed out to 300mm. They work well together.

LeanneC
      Participant

I agree with above comment – great job getting the colour to show. As cheeky and pushy as these birds are, they are quite beautiful too.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Leanne. I agree. In the right light these common blackbirds show off their iridescent colors beautifully. Wish I could have filled the frame more to show off the colors better but they spooked easily. Could not get as close as I needed.

Lynne Guenther
      Participant

great shot, hard subject!

Robert Apple

That's Nice Dave

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Thanks Robert. He's kind of a colorful black bird. 🙂

Robert Apple

I learned from a bird expert they are really black and the colors come from the sun refracting as well as the environment reflecting in the oils in their feathers.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Yellow Headed Caracara

Yellow Headed Caracara

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Masked Tityra (male)

_V4A2164.jpg

Robert Apple

Both great shots Rob , the variety of birds in the world never ceases to amaze.

Black Kite

P3181349

Robert Apple

Nice Shot David

Tersha
      Keymaster

Lovely shot David, we have a lot of Red Kites around here.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

wow guys, they are ALL GREAT!!!!

cardinal

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

here's the original bc i find it interesting how many people think it's a bad pic after they see the original, lol. shooting for meter readings of zero doesn't take into account getting your subject in focus and properly exposed on a high uv day. this was +2 so the cardinal would be visible even though backlit, and wb is set for bird rather than the sky. btw, i've enlarged this original 4×4 to 36×36 using topaz gigapixel and it worked great!

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

ring-billed gull

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

golden finch. not the best image of the bird, but i liked the composition and i waited for someone to land.  I only got this one pic in the hour I waited….ugh, birds! they don't cooperate well.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

panning ring billed gull again

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

ring billed gull in flight

Robert Apple

Wonderful series of shots ebby.

Ed
    Participant

Just today, in the parking lot while the better half ran in for appetizers and dessert for the rare extended-family dinner….

Domesticated Tom

Yes, totally tame (with a handler who wished not to be photographed)

and, from the archives, this captive wing-clipped egret at Sea World, who seemed to be posing for me so I obliged and shot an entire roll of film.

captive white egret

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Ed.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Ed.

Robert Apple

The turkey is great Ed we litterly have hundreds of wild ones the wander around town here but I never seem to be in the right place when they are strutting, it is just starting so maybe I will catch one this year.

Vicki
    Participant

Mine, Mine! This was taken in the spring when the lake was thawing.  Seagulls are a pain but I couldn't resist this as I thought a fight was brewing.  Just as I snapped this picture passersby scared them all and they flew away.  When they noticed I was shooting they apologized.  Oh well, it is what it is.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Vicki. Reason: Forgot to add pic

Robert Apple

Yeah it looks like they are getting pissy with each other.

beth
    Participant

dinnertime

Robert Apple

Im always amazed how a fish that big fits down their throat.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Beautiful shot beth, the colours work really well.

Ed
    Participant

@robert Apple:  You and everyone else should be clear on the fact that this tom was domesticated, docile, and in the supermarket parking lot.  It took no skill for me to grab this shot.  I parked the car, got the camera out, and stepped away one cars' length.

Tom's Handler

But you are right about the voracious appetties of some birds.  We have a koi pond and it did not take long for the herons roosting in the wetlands that stretch throughout the valley to discover our luncheonette. The neighbor, who also owns koi and who is an armed agent of the Federal government, got out his BB gun, his pellet gun and his paintball gun to try to scare the bird.  My wife thought to buy a decoy to fool the fellow into thinking his territory had already been claimed.

predator decoy

The heron landed and pecked the decoy on the head.

koi predator

I managed this shot when we succeeded in scaring him away.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

Got several today, but only edited one… The house Finch. Also got cedar wax wings, a hawk, and a bluebird.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.