Catching Shrimp

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Catching Shrimp

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Maureen Photograph 1 month ago.

• Author

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Mazatlan has the largest shrimp fishing fleet in the world. The ships have huge nets and the shrimp are frozen almost immediately. The really big ones, drumstick size, go to Japan where they pay crazy prices for them. This is the old fashioned way and the shrimp are FRESH!

The net has weights around the entire circumference and when they land on the water they sink to the bottom trapping the shrimp underneath. It's quite a process to get the net ready to cast and it's about 5 minutes between casts for an experienced fisherman. 1/500, f8, 27mm (APS-C), iso100  Click for Flickr

Netting Shrimp

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Nice catch Lenny. As far as ST…got nothin for ya. I like it.

John Thompson

Great shot Lenny.  My only comment would be to get a shot at different times of the day but of course your shrimp fisherman would have to co-operate!  LOL.  Great shot.

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Hi Lenny, I could be wrong but to my eye it's leaning to the left (based on the sand on the far shore).  And, I'd dodge the area encircled by the net.  Then maybe do a Levels adjustment to give the whole image more pop (and remove the leveling from the trees and man as they're already dark enough.).

billyspad
    Participant

Nothing to say here. Its a good shot documenting life as it happens.

Tom M
    Participant

It is a nice photo. No negative comments, and I like the boats…

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Lenny, ST: I would have liked a little bit wider view to see a bit more of the boats on the left. Since you most likely do not have that, I would like to see it a little closer. I do not need all the sky and it brings me a bit closer and involved in the action.

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Hi Lenny, Nice use of space.  As for suggestions, I could be wrong but to my eye it's leaning to the left (based on the sand on the far shore).  And, I'd dodge the area encircled by the net.  Then maybe do a Levels adjustment to give the whole image more pop (and remove the leveling from the trees and man as they're already dark enough.).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.