Cuba #16 – Havana Apartment Building

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Cuba #16 – Havana Apartment Building

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Tom M 3 days, 8 hours ago.

• Author

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

This is an architectural street scene, punctuated with a few people.

3pco
    Participant

Well, the colors are obviously superb, and the placement of the people is really good, too. And while I like the full-on composition, I have to say the white vertical cutting through that door annoys the hell out of me.

billyspad
    Participant

As is often the case Maureen love the processing technique you use. The scene is nothing special, what you do to it makes it quite wonderful. I think if you take the whites down a little the post referred to by 3pco will not be as noticeable. And if it were mine I would blend in the sky from the original shot as the sky here as small as it is looks an unnatural color. I would guess your using Nik filters here and possibly not needed on the sky.

Richard Barnard
    Participant

Nice light and I like the vibrancy of this one Maureen. Plenty for my eye to explore and I like that you have caught the woman mid-stride. Shame about the power line but that's Cuba and it doesn't bother me except where it overlaps sky top of frame. Agree with previous suggestion re toning down the whites, at least on the brighter, left sided post as viewed. I see a slight haloing in the sky against the building line and it looks a little over-edited to my eye. I would be tempted to solve both problems by cropping to the top of the building line as close as you can as the sky is superfluous to the story here in my view.

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Excellent suggestions.

I can paint the post, or remove it, but then the balcony might fall down.

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Here's the new improved version:

Falxy
    Participant

Hi Maureen….yeah my sort of image! ๐Ÿ™‚

but…..lol……your emphasize is on the wider pic/buidings.No problem,but would to crop for human domination………………….tis just preference….yer not wrong and i not right……………….still enjoying your vision! ๐Ÿ™‚

Roger Wehage
    Participant

A reporter was driving down a valley road that wound through beautiful mountains when she saw an old man sitting on his front porchย in a rocking chair. She stopped and said, “You must enjoy this beautiful view from your porch every day.”

“Ya,” he said, “It would be beautiful if that mountain over there wasn't in the way.”

Maureen, I love the scene. The poles and wires and wash and people and sky are part of the story; everything is right where it belongs. The woman carrying her umbrella and package, and adjusting her head scarf is perfect. The instant you caught her stride showing motion is perfect. The man wearing New York shorts and holding a cigarette is perfect. I can imagine that every person living on that street is happy that those poles are standing on that sidewalk and blocking our and their view, because those poles mean that electricity is coming into their buildings. Hopefully. Let us not remove those poles and take away their electricity, just for our pleasure.

I also have to chuckle when I look at the two doors near the utility poles, one of them hidden behind a pole; the bigger half of we Americans couldn't squeeze through them.

Tom M
    Participant

I think this is perhaps my favorite of yours from all the Cuba's you've dine so far. Nicely done…

Rob Eyers
    Participant

So much to look at with tons of detail to discover. This could be a bunch of different individual photos but it's very nice as is. After your edits I have no suggestions …sorry.

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Thanks so much.ย  It's one of my favorites too, and with the helpful tweaks, competition-ready.

Tom M
    Participant

I think I would also do a crop from the top, down to just the red brick chimneys(?). The squiggly electrical things on top right are distracting, as are the other metal pieces on the roof…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.