Death in the Valley

Home Photography Forums Landscape Photography Death in the Valley

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Robert Apple 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Robert Apple

I have been buried an a few graphic design jobs for Valentines day and  creation of a logo for a Local company , including layouts for a vinyl cutter and digitizing it for embroidery, which is a major pain in the butt, but its been brutally cold for the past three weeks and no fun outside any way.

Well it Finally warmed up to almost 20 Degrees Fahrenheit that's about -7  for you metric folks, It was funny to see all the locals driving with their windows down, You know its been cold when you have the windows down and its still 12 degrees below freezing.  I decided to do a little walk in the Valley with the camera and the dogs, its a place in a very harsh area with toxic mineral springs, very harsh winds , very cold winters and it seems that more is dead than alive especially the trees.  There is a fair share of animal carcasses and bones around as well, I left those for another time when I'm feeling a little more morbid.

A Couple Shots looking up and down the Valley.

Death in the Valley

Death in the Valley

And a few Decaying trees
    Death in the Valley

Death in the Valley

Death in the Valley

Death in the Valley

Death in the Valley

Not all the Scenery here is so bleak.
    Just Cold.

The Big Horn Mountains

Tom M
    Participant

These are amazing Robert. Kudos to you and John making the most of your really cold weather. That 5th photo of the dead wood looks like a frozen bird. Gave me a shiver…

Graham Hart
    Participant

Windows down at -7 degrees! Are you people insane!?!?!

Its 23 degrees (73 farenheit) here and my wife's says she's freezing. Apparently such temperatures as you guys endure can cause abnormal human behaviour – like wandering around outside taking pictures of dead trees.

Well I hope you zombies keep it up ‘cos us temperate types enjoy seeing the results of your endeavours. All nice pics Robert, especially number 5 and 6. Five is like something from that movie ‘The Thing' where a bird has morphed with a tree into something grotesque yet captivating and six has great colour and texture.

OK, my body temp has dropped just looking at these. I need a coffee now.

Robert Apple

You make me Laugh Graham, Maybe we are a bit Insane, I had the window down too. Thanks for your comments.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Nice post Robert. Good to see the weather is breaking for you. It was +2C here yesterday and some i^%t was driving around in his convertible.

Robert Apple

Oh it only lasted one Day Rob its been hovering in the single digits since, both positive and negative.

Thanks for your comments Rob

Robert Apple

Had to throw in its a brisk -25 c this am.

John Thompson

Very nice shots Robert.  I love the first for its limited pallette.

beth
    Participant

nice series.  i like all of the wood textures, the shallow dof really shows off the details and splinters.

what vinyl plotter do you use?  i have a 50″ wide vinyl plotter to make products for a shop i sell in on the side.  i've been looking into either a cnc or a laser cutter and a large format sublimation printer to print on wood, but i need to retire first to get the time to make everything i want to make.

Robert Apple

Thanks Beth,

I primarily just do the design work to create a logos and graphics from scratch or conversion from a rough drawing or photo to vector art. The last two were from business cards that had been photo copied and reprinted who knows how many times and they wanted something they could resize to a four ft sign with more detail.  I offer services to also provide layered set ups for stackable vinyl or paper craft projects, print and cut set ups, as well as digitizing for embroidery. My wife has a small Cameo cutter she uses for crafting , I have networked with a person in town here that has commercial equipment for vinyl, a big heat fuser ,and 15 needle embroidery  machine, but other then the most basic designs isn't into graphic design. She tells me she has close to 100k invested in that equipment. Seems like she said the vinyl plotter could do a Max width of 96in or 8ft, I routinely give her 60 and 72in layouts.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

My favorite is the last one – I like the interplay of those curved shapes against the white sky.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.