Dutch Boat on Film

Home Photography Forums Landscape Photography Dutch Boat on Film

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  John Thompson 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

John Thompson

I caught this guy going under the bridge (out of frame) in front of one of my favorite places in the Netherlands.  If you look close (excuse the terrible quality of the negative) the guy at the tiller looks about as content as he can be.  Out on the water wearing his shades.   These Dutch boats are very beautifully constructed.

It has been a lot of work cleaning up these negatives.  I think my ex (plaintiff No. 4) let the dog chew on them before packing. So do not be surprised if I have missed something that should not be there.

You might think this is old Holland except for the tour boat center left.

• This topic was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  John Thompson.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Lovely. This is what life should be.

John Thompson

I could not agree more Kent.  I found Holland a great place to live and raise children.

beth
    Participant

gorgeous water scene.  i've never felt a need to visit holland, but your old slide images are quickly changing my mind!

John Thompson

LOL I could be part of the Dutch tourist bureau!!  I have lost so many pics through a disk crash and moving back to the states and divorce number 4 at the same time.  I still have many to go through.  I take pics of everything.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

The skipper makes the image.
    This boat is a Tjalk. They are “Platbodems” which translates to “Flatbottoms”. This is because they do not have a keel, but at each side a Lee Board, a plate or board fixed to the side of a flat-bottomed boat and let down into the water to reduce drift to the leeward side.
    Each summer there are races for these boats in Friesland, called “SKÛTSJESILEN” which is Fries for sailing boats.
    Very spectacular, see this YouTube of 2017:

John Thompson

Thank you Eric for explaining these beautiful boats.  I was pretty sure that was the reason for the side board but wasn't 100% sure.  Just another thing to marvel about the Dutch culture and way of life.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I love looking at this shot John. It feels like another time when life was a lot simpler. I absolutely thought this was from the 60's era until you pointed out the cruise ship which my mind had decided not to notice. I too want to go to holland now and being a fan of cruising, who knows…one day?  🙂

John Thompson

You should absolutely go my friend.  I think you would have fun.  There are so many cruises to choose from.  Many around Amsterdam.  It does look like an older pic.  I agree about life being simpler then.  Although I am a techy, technology has changed our way of life probably forever.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.