Early Morning

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Early Morning

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  bucweeet 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

bucweeet
    Participant

Exposure: 1/500 @f/10
    Focal Length: 560mm
    ISO: 800

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Early morning suggests to me that the light would be soft. I realize many here like high contrast for B&W but in this case I wouldn't go as far as you have Paul. IMO hard contrast doesn't seem to fit with the subject matter.  The vignette seems a bit heavy for my taste too.

Nice capture and composition.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hello bucweeet, I agree with Rob when it comes to the vignette, I think this image would look softer without vignetting.  I would also like to see the photo in color.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Paul, I think the B&W conversion competes with the soft content. It also makes it a bit too mushy. I have the feeling if it is in color you get a better separation between the birds and that might open up the image. (And most likely gets the early morning feeling better across)

Richard Barnard
    Participant

Little to add that hasn't already been said I'm afraid. I see the vignette before I see the image and the contrast feels too harsh and not in keeping with the aesthetic of your title.  I think the overlap with the bird behind is unfortunate and would like to see cleaner separation from the background. I also question your choice of b&w over colour here as I feel the early morning light would be better illustrated with a colour edit.

bucweeet
    Participant

Here is the original (unedited), and as one can see, there are plenty of options for post-production (PP). It's as I quite often say, there a few options within this image to make others; from cropping choices to PP techniques.  Thanx for your thoughts.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  bucweeet.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I like the colour suggestion too. Maybe something like this.

bucweeet
      Participant

Thanx Rob.  I did try a couple of these and also a crop of just the parent and baby (about half body).  If I wasn't so lazy, I would have tried a crop of the bird on the RH side but with the cloning req'd for the tail feathers, I just never got around to it.

My originally posted image was a B&W that I recently added SilverFX processing to in an attempt to ‘cover a wider palette' of B&W.  The hardest part to get right was removing the ‘ring' around the parent's beak (that was caused by a background highlight).

Robert Apple

I believe the title fits the image and would go that direction, the black and white conversion isn't such a bad Idea but I would add a colorization layer for some “morning Light”, With that because of the subject matter and the soft feathers brightening it up a bit doesn't hurt and also a vinaigrette isn't such a bad idea, but brightening it up versus darkening it seems to fit better. I would soften the edges even further with a little targeted blur.

bucweeet
    Participant

Thanx Robert.  I like this one.

I had tried to use a ‘color layer' on the posted image but I was using what I was hoping was a ‘sunset orange' – but I couldn't get the effect I was looking for.  Your version works much better.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.