Galactic Beach

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Galactic Beach

This topic contains 18 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Hart 6 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Elizabeth Hazlett
    Participant

So over a year ago, my first photo posted here was of the center of the Milky Way. Now that I'm coming back, I think it's only fitting I post another.

Photo was taken in 2016 when my aunt and I were in Massachusetts.

Canon EOS Rebel T3
    18-55mm lens set at 18 mm
    25 second exposure
    F/4.5
    ISO 1600

Tobie

The milky way looks nice but I feel the presence of the moon spoils it. You should get a much better shoot at new moon.

One of the holy grail rules of any landscape shot is to have a level horizon.

Elizabeth Hazlett
      Participant

I'll see if I can redo the horizon in editing, thank you for pointing that out.

And I know with the moon, I was cursing our timing, but if I had waited until after the moon had set, the milky way wouldn't have been over the ocean and instead a mega bright hotel. I tried to lessen the effect as much as possible. At least it illuminates where the water meets sand lol

Tobie

“I know with the moon, I was cursing our timing”

Well, at least you have something. It's better than nothing! 🙂

Robert Apple
    Participant

Like Tobie, said the Horizon.

I wish there was a little more room on the side with the moon, which personally I don't find a detractor, it is a little different  then every other Center of the Galaxy Shot I have seen.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Elizabeth, I like this image and the way you have post processed it 🙂

I agree with Tobie about the horizon and with Robert about having more space on the right. I like the moon because of the light reflected on the ocean waters and the sand. I think it forms a leading line to the galaxy.

Just wondering, when looking at the bottom part of the galaxy, it looks a bit strange without any fading or not touching the horizon. Unsure why though!

Elizabeth Hazlett
      Participant

The editing I did, I need to go back and refine it. I didn't catch that until I was really looking at the image and just haven't had time to go back and fix it. I also just noticed where I messed up removing a tiny dot of light from the horizon line (manmade light)

Unless you're talking the galaxy itself and not the faded part from it to the horizon, lol. In that case, I don't know why. It was like that in the shots I had.

Dahlia Ambrose
        Keymaster

Hi Elizabeth, I was mentioning the faded part from the galaxy to the horizon. Looks like something has been cloned off or erased 🙂

Elizabeth Hazlett
          Participant

it was neither. I think I was trying to bring out what galaxy was there and didn't manage it. There was really nothing showing up there originally lol

Erik Fransman
    Participant

I would try to bring out the stars a bit.

Here is a quick and dirty version without the moon. If you spent some time on it, it can be done better. Beach is a bit dark but in my quick and dirty version I get too many artefacts of removing the reflection of the moon in the water.
    Or only bring out the stars a bit.

Tobie

I think just like any other landscape shot, it needs an object of interest (anchor) in the foreground to work well. Moon or no moon.

Ian c
      Participant

Apart from levelling the horizon I would have cropped  the bottom foreground  almost up to the moon reflection, other than that and considering the other challenges it is not a bad shot Elizabeth.

Erik Fransman
        Participant

Ian, I agree with your suggested crop.

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Seems to me that astro shots of the  galactic center in the smack dab middle of the frame are becoming a trend.    I would try putting the galaxy more toward the left wall and balance it with the moon on the right .   I would leave the reflection of the moon and the diffuse water to shoreline transition in the photo .  It adds mystery.   That makes a skinny vertical crop but that's what the elements of this photo dictate.

I recall your first shark tank astro submission,  This one is a bunch better methinks

Elizabeth Hazlett
      Participant

because I wasn't near a town/road shooting. Location makes the difference lol

I'll have to wait until summertime to shoot it again as it's “disappeared” for the year, but I'm always going to be practicing with it.

Elizabeth Hazlett
    Participant

So I took your advice and reedited it a little and this is the outcome. I straightened the horizon, fixed that faded area between the center and the ocean. Removed one remaining artifact (that I could find).

Graham Hart
    Participant

Hi Elizabeth,  I also think that the gap between the galaxy and the horizon line doesn't look quite right…the galaxy can't just stop. Did a little cropping and removed that part of the image and brought out the colour slightly (the moon is closer after all…he he)

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

I see by the comments that my opinion (Jan 4 @ 12:14 AM)  regarding the composition  is an opinion of 1.  The other commentors have ignored my  suggestion.   Here's my take on a possible crop that has a bit more left/right balance.   Is it so wrong ??  If so,  please tell me why

i-Hc5jfpq

Graham Hart
      Participant

Not wrong at all. I think you're right Gary. Looking at my last edit I now see there is just nothing happening in the left half of the frame at all and it should be cropped…but perhaps not quite as much as your version which now makes the image seem a little crowded to me? Maybe a little of the empty sky on the left to position the galaxy in the centre and balance the moon on the right? Forgive my impudence, I'm still very much learning the caper.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>
Skip to toolbar