Good adwise on photographing the northern lights?

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Good adwise on photographing the northern lights?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anna Soffia Oskarsdottir 7 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

I went out last night chasing aurora borealis. Since I have had digital camera for rather short time I have not been doing that till now (went chasing earlyer, but not catching any).
    I am a not satisfied, the lights are blurred and somewhat unclear. I in this fantastic forum someone who has a good advise?

The foreground is not good, but that is another problem. All of a sudden the sky broke open in colours and I stopped imediadly and shot. In 5 or 10 minutes it was over. I went to better location, but in over an hour and a half nothing happened. Since I was getting pretty cold (-12 C) I gave up.

IMG_8183_edited-2

IMG_8190_edited-2

IMG_8192_edited-2
    This would have been good on the power theme 🙂

IMG_8223_edited-2

Ups – should not been in b&w, do not know how to remove

Ups – should not been in b&w, do not know how to remove

Chase Guttman
    Participant

If your concern is of its sharpness make sure you use a remote release cable and tripod for these kinds of shots (also ensure the tripod isn't shaking, especially if it's windy). I think your foregrounds are pretty good, only slightly under exposed. Just be mindful of the darkest portions of the shot (other than the sky) and expose for that. Also remember that high ISO is key and that your lens should be focused to infinity. On another note, it seems you composed your images very well, and got really lucky. Anyway, I hope all this helps.

Chase Guttman
    Participant

If your concern is of its sharpness make sure you use a remote release cable and tripod for these kinds of shots (also ensure the tripod isn't shaking, especially if it's windy). I think your foregrounds are pretty good, only slightly under exposed. Just be mindful of the darkest portions of the shot (other than the sky) and expose for that. Also remember that high ISO is key and that your lens should be focused to infinity. On another note, it seems you composed your images very well, and got really lucky. Anyway, I hope all this helps.

@chaseguttman Thank you, yes it does. To expose for the dark eart, I did not think of and should have used higher iso. Hopefully tomorrow night gives a new chance.

@chaseguttman Thank you, yes it does. To expose for the dark eart, I did not think of and should have used higher iso. Hopefully tomorrow night gives a new chance.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>
Skip to toolbar