Hummingbird #2

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Hummingbird #2

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Eyers 3 months ago.

• Author

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III
    ƒ/8.0
    560.0 mm
    1/400
    ISO 4000

The IS on this lens and extender combo amazes me most of the time. These birds move around too much to anchor the gear down, so hand held run and gun is the only way. Sometimes if you're persistent you get lucky with the subject matter.

The light wasn't as good and it's a little bit noisy. Even though the subject matter is more interesting than #1, I still think it needs something. What do you think sharks? Who's the nastiest fish in the pool?

_V4A2229.jpg

Roger Wehage
    Participant

Rob, considering your situation I think you did a great job. IS is amazing but there still appears to be a bit of blur in the birds' feathers, maybe also partly related to the higher ISO. I wonder if a touch of sharpening would help any.

We live in the country with dense woods extending out in all directions, so there's no shortage of hummingbirds. In the warm months we have a hummingbird feeder right outside our dining room window. This summer I plan to set up my iPhone about 12-18 inches from the center of the feeder and control its camera remotely. The feeder has six openings in a circle and I have seen a rare event of six birds feeding at the same time. More often there will be a dominant male perched on the hanger, waiting to drive the rest away. For that reason we have a second feeder about 50 feet away. That dumb bird will wear himself out, zipping between the two feeders.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Roger.

I agree it's not perfect, but I love the moment captured so I tried to work it out. I've done some sharpening, but I abhor halos so I didn't want to push it much more. I'll see if there's any way to tighten it up, but it's just not perfectly focused.

Roger Wehage
        Participant

Rob, I'll be happy to get anywhere near this come summer. You can be sure I'll be asking the pro for advice.

Maureen Photograph
    Participant

Outstanding capture!  Perhaps lighten it, it looks a little dark.  Maybe my monitor needs to warm up more.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Hi Maureen and thank you.

It is a bit darker than the first one I posted which was in much better light. This one was in complete shadow. I had tried to lighten it some, but it began to break up. I'll look at that again now that you've mentioned it.

Tom M
    Participant

Rob, nice capture. Yes, its a little noisy, maybe from cropping? Very hard to capture these buggers with a tripod as you said. Nice bokeh, interesting positioning. Keep shooting…

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Tom.

Yes it was cropped as these guts were a bit further away than the first one I posted. That never helps noise does it.

Hope you didn't hurt yourself too much in that tumble. Gear is just stuff and it can be fixed. Personal injury is a whole different thing!

billyspad
    Participant

Lovely shot and I tip my hat to ya for getting it. Shame about the noise and possibly too much for noise reduction software.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Billy. Sometimes we get lucky.

I used a couple of virtual copies with a fair amount of LR luminance noise reduction for the BG then blended them in PS. I never used any of the noise reduction plugins I have for PS… DUH. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm going to revisit this one and try some more tricks.

John Thompson

Again, so well done Rob.  I get hummingbirds in my backyard in the summer here and am thinking of trying to capture them this year.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks John.

Make it easy on yourself and feed them John. I recently read an article by Moose Peterson. He was asked how he gets such great images of birds. He said he attaches branches to poles near the many feeding stations he has in his yard. He positions them where there are good BG's then sits and waits. I don't remember how much bird feed he said he goes through, but I seem to remember it was a lot.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.