Humming Bird #1

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Humming Bird #1

This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Rob Eyers 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM +1.4x III
    ƒ/8.0
    560.0 mm
    1/2000
    ISO 2500

We only have one type of humming bird in Canada so I was interested in the three different ones we found in Costa Rica. This is just a bird in flight but I'm still interested in how the sharks will rip into it.

_V4A2039 copy.jpg

Federico Alegria
    Participant

WOW, this shot is extremely nice, and absolutely fantastic! thanks for sharing it with us Rob. I'm sorry that I don't have anything to rip off of it, maybe because I'm not an expert in wild-life photography so I should guess that composing such a tiny and unpredictable being must be very hard to achieve in such a good way.

Roger Wehage
    Participant

To blur or not to blur is the prevailing argument. I think you made a great middle-of-the road compromise. The wings are blurred just enough to imply motion but not so much as to obliterate profile. Great job.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Rob, very nice!  We have 3 types here too and this motivates me.  Did you replace the BG or is it natural?

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thank you Lenny.

We were lucky to have an outdoor kitchen perched on the top floor of a house overlooking the tropical southern jungle so the greenery in the background is original. I'm pretty happy with how the BG blurred at 560mm.

John Thompson

Wow Rob you nailed this one!  So very well done.  Sorry but no negative comments from me.

billyspad
    Participant

No shark gonna feed on this fella. Spot on nice work and certainly way beyond my skill level with a camera. Frame it and hang it I reckon.

Tom M
    Participant

This is really nice Graham- isn't amazing how the feathers on humming birds feathers look almost like scales?

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Graham..ahh errr .. Tom. 🙂

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Amazing shot!
    If you want ST, I would add just a tiny little bit of canvas to give the bird some more space.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Erik.

I wondered if the crop was a bit tight. I wanted the bird to dominate but I may have gone a bit too far. These little guys are like helicopters…they dart off in any direction.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Great shot, Rob!  I had in mind to suggest a little more space for the bird to fly into.  However, having seen Erik's bigger addition, I think that he is right.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Fabulous. As good as it gets!

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Kent. And thank you for the POTW mention.

Falxy
    Participant

Rob i hate to follow others so no………………………….superb!! 🙂

Anonymous

superb Photo

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks for adding to the momentum Physics.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.