Hummingbird, Leaving

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Hummingbird, Leaving

This topic contains 18 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Albirder 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

3pco
    Participant

billyspad
    Blocked

Wonderful wonderful image. Suggests lightness freedom movement along with grace in a beautifully flowing suggestive way. Great bokah and a sure fired wall hanger in Billy Towers. Wonderful muted colors to match the IKEA look favored by Mrs Billy. The muted colors mean you have to look closely and every time you do it reveals more intricate detail. Did I mention I like this?

If this is not in the running for POTW then The Donald is a fit person to be President of the USA and the NRA talk sense!

Nothing to feed on for this ever hungry ill tempered shark. Just perfect!

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Allen, nice photo and from an unusual POV!

Billyspad, no need to bring politics into the art of photography and the Shark Tank.  But since you brought it up take you opinions and put them where the sun don't shine!

billyspad
      Blocked

Lenny my enthusiasm for this piece of work may have carried me away a little but I will not apologise for waxing lyrically about an outstanding picture. Anything else said was in a light hearted humorous manner and I respectfully suggest you learn the art of chilling out. Sorry to hear you cannot do that mate but the problem is yours not mine. The site has moderators to lay down rules about content so at this stage of the game excuse me if I ignore the comment of any snapper who refers to himself as a photographer and his output as art.                          I remain your friend I hope said snapper to snapper.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  billyspad.

Frank
    Participant

First time I saw hummingbirds zooming around, I was thinking , “wow, they have big bees around here.”  Amazed you got this unique view of these fast flying birds.  Love the detail in the tail feathers.  Tried to play with the colors a bit, but I could not find any improvements!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  Frank.

billyspad
      Blocked

Damn good can be improved upon but perfect is just that and quite rightly should be left alone.

3pco
    Participant

Er, thanks for the comments everyone.

Albirder
      Participant

We really veered off here, didn’t we?

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Allen, I really like this image a lot. It has an artistic feel to it.

It would have been better to have the bird's face more in focus and in view. It would have been difficult to get it that way I think 🙂

Graham Hart
    Participant

Well I've looked long and hard at this pic but I'm afraid for me this pic just misses the mark. I do like it but……I dunno.

Its probably just me and my weird preferences but I'm left wanting so much more from this image. Its a wonderful subject matter and a wonderful moment in time but I feel the two have been lost in a blurred near miss.

I don't see the detail which has been mentioned at all but that's fine, detail isn't always critical, particularly in artistic representations. However, with an image like this where the subject is facing away and everything is out of focus, the picture somewhat loses its identity and becomes merely an exercise in shapes and colours. To this end, it's an interesting image but that's all…..to me anyway.

Pity the bird wouldn't come back for ‘take 2' facing the right way and with a slightly faster shutter speed.

Frank
    Participant

Hmmm…..Graham I see your point.  Without the title would we really know what we were looking at?   But, I think I like it because it is such an unusual view.  It does lack sharpness, and yet it is not a total blur.  I know it is a bird!

Graham Hart
      Participant

My point was, it doesn't really matter what it is Frank. Yes it's obviously a bird but the image isn't about acurate representation, it's about movement, colour and form. To this end, I think it misses the mark ever so slightly. As an ‘artistic' piece, it has movement, it has colour but the form is ill-defined and the piece loses a framework on which to build any truly artistic intent. It's too arbitrary and needs a stronger foundation. A mild adjustment with the clarity slider in camera raw, a touch of sharpening may both help to some degree but I suspect the moment is still lost at the current shutter speed.

Tom M
    Participant

I'm with Graham here too. Not much sharpness here, the most interesting thing is just the unique view. I don't think this quite reaches wall hanging status. But if Billy likes it, it has to have some merit…

Mistyisle
    Participant

When I first read this thread my immediate thought was “children settle down!”.   However moving to critique, my initial thoughts were that I have taken multiple, multiple shots of birds leaving the scene, but rejected because the front of the bird not shown.  Nevertheless, Allen, in this case the image, in my view, somewhat crosses the line from wildlife (where is undoubtedly fails) to the realms of art.  Viewed in this way, it does have that Wow factor and something of strong impact, either hung on the wall or entered into a competition —  just choose your judge, and subject, carefully.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Mistyisle.

billyspad
    Blocked

Mistyisle you have it in a nutshell. this is not a wildlife shot its pure art. Which way the bird is facing or how sharp the shot is in this case is totally irrelevant. Our membership often have trouble grasping the concept of artisic output and because of titles look for what they are conditioned to recognize on a fota site. If our Allen had called this 54 or any other obscure title and not mentioned a bird the comments and critique would have been different. Other than Billy's of course which recognized it as pure art as soon as he saw it. His comments to folks with their head up their own bum would also remain the same lol

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  billyspad.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beg to differ Billy old mate. ‘Hummingbird Leaving', '54' or ‘Granola Soup' is not the entire story, just the cover title and you know what they say about judging books by their covers. Its a foolish enterprise, what counts is the content.

I think we're all grown up and experienced enough to make judgements based on our real impressions and not just a title. Sure, a title forms a first impression but not a complete definitive analysis.

I think you under estimate the unique emotion (or ‘story') which an image conjures in each and every individual. Your story is very much based on what you see. Others are based on what they see. If they're different, doesn't make one right and one wrong.

Photo journalistic, landscape, abstract etc, even artistic images all have unique qualities of appeal. I think our membership has enough runs on the board to grasp those qualities and deliver informed opinion equally as valid as any which you might pull out of your bum. LOL.

Albirder
    Participant

I am going to try to do my own thing on this critique. Let’s start with parts, because parts are parts. Background A+. Great texture, no bits of light that are distracting. (Well, that will have a qualifier later.) A perfect color palette. Placement in the frame A+. Great diagonal that the right wing and left tail feather form. Compositional geometry: A+. Love the oval body. Superb diagonal lines. Focus: B. Thank you for having reasonably good focus on something, in this case, the tail feather. My eyes need a landing place. A tiny bit better focus would have increased the grade. Post processing: not as good,  but hear me out. You have picked up motion on the hummingbird’s bill. That does not work at all for me. It looks like his mouth is gaping open. That bit of light, in my judgement, should be taken out. I did not count that as a background issue. With parts finished, the overall effect is creative. It resonates with my sense of being a hummingbird. It is hard to take a unique picture. I wonder how many millions of hummingbird pictures there are out there? Not so many like this one.

3pco
    Participant

Thanks for the further commentary. I took this all on board and made a few changes, upped the sharpness a notch, burned down the jaw to eliminate the white distraction, then I submitted it to my local photo club where it got me an honorable mention. Thanks for the help!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  3pco.

Albirder
      Participant

Congratulations! It is worthy of recognition.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.