Members Pick's Photos

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Members Pick's Photos

This topic contains 34 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  David Chesterfield 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Robert Apple

This is a place for Members to reference what you might consider a five star photo. Give a call out to the photographer even if it lies in the Shark Tank and feel free to give a Critique on why it trips your Trigger.

Robert Apple

Ok guys I think I will get this going, There have been a few this week that I personally have really enjoyed. I'm kind of pressed for time right now so I won't go into a detailed critique but I want to call these out. they are in no particular order.

Mr Pooks Photo in Mobile Monday

Robert Apple

Dahlia's Photo in the monotone-duotone challenge

Robert Apple

Beth's Photo in the monotone-duotone challenge.

beth
      Participant

thanks

ElinL
      Participant

Dahlias and Beths images are outstanding.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

At the risk of being redundant I'd also like to give a shout out to Dahlia and Beth's images above. The lighting on “Daliah's Mountain” perfectly suits the mood of the overall image. The trees and branches make a beautiful frame to match the jaggedness of the mountain. The faint light highlighting the clouds on the right balances the image very nicely. Can only imagine what it would look like matted and framed.

Beth's image of the blacksmith shop is stunning as well. Composition, lighting, textures and subject matter come together beautifully to capture the essence of life in a days gone by era. I like the contrast of the tools sitting idle knowing that back in the day a blacksmith's tools were anything but. Another image more than worthy to be hanging on a wall.

Might be good to tag @federico in this for his weekly blog wrap up too.

Robert Apple

Done

Tersha
        Keymaster

Robert, do you intend to start a new one each week, and would you like it ‘stick-ed' at the front, as per POTW, etc.? Or, have you got other ideas.

Robert Apple

I was thinking that we could set it up as a category under photo chit chat like we have done with throw downs. It may become a weekly post, or monthly, or biweekly, depends on how full it gets. I'm open to suggestions as well.

John Thompson

As mentioned Dahlia's is a great shot.  It is the sort of shot I think would be great at a gallery showing.  The silhouette foreground and the composition of the lit portion of the image is just perfect.

Beth's image is a great b&w shot and a good example for the Zone System.  The lit center fading off to black top, bottom and right side perfectly highlight the image.

I like the image Chris posted as well.  It is sharp on the buildings/highrises and the clouds to top are perfect.

beth
    Participant

i really like this shot by @rjmccor in the monotone/duotone challenge.  the mysterious tracks in the foreground with that rustic looking beach facility turns into a mysterious fog surrounding the crowd of people and continues up into the clouds.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thanks for showing that Beth, I didn't look close enough before, I have now, and it's amazingly different, so much going on.

Robert Apple

That's the worlds Finest Bathing Beach, That is a cool photo, it looks like something from the Walking dead.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

split tone forest

This image caught my eye immediately. I love the color palette and the compression of the forest.

This would make a beautiful piece of artwork hanging on the wall.

This was taken by Diane, @tersha, and post in the monochrome / duotone challenge.

Robert Apple

Perfect, this was one of the reasons I was a proponent of this forum, I have scrolled through that challenge several times and somehow missed this one by Diane. The color scheme is off the norm but perfect for this photo. Thats really nice @tersha .

beth
        Participant

i missed this one too.  fantastic find kent!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thanks Kent, I'm going to print it and hang it after your suggestion. 🙂

Tom M
      Participant

Nice pick,Kent. I've come back to this one several times. I love the color and the mystery in it…

Dave Watkins
    Participant

What Kent said.

John Thompson

I love the image by Diane @tersha.  The color pallet and the light combine to make a beautiful image.

billyspad
    Participant

This is quite superb Diane

Tersha
      Keymaster

Thanks a lot Billyspad!

Tersha
    Keymaster

For those that haven't looked through the Weekend Challenge …

P7280110

this shot by David Chesterfield, @dchester1001 stood out for me, lovely pose and lighting.

Kent DuFault
      Participant

David has posted this photograph several times both in this recent post and in the past, and I've always enjoyed it. It captures a subtle sensuality of a woman that is rare these days in photography. You cannot see her face, but yet she exudes beauty in a wonderfully understated way. It also excels in the tech department with perfect execution.

Robert Apple

Totally Agree.

Thanks Diane, Kent & Robert.

There are so many reasons why this photo should not work. I was initially asked to do just a few headshots for a hairdresser friend of mine.  When I got there she had a fashion designer with her, and obviously wanted full length images as well as head shots! There was no room in the salon, so i hastily strung up a black cotton backdrop,  in an open carport – outside on a bright sunny day. There was no power outside, so i was limited to one battery powered strobe. Because it was only supposed to be headshots I also only had one diffuser – a beauty dish with me.

Despite all that, I am happy with the result.

Robert Apple

The New Members Picks Section has been created you can find it here.

Members Picks

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.