mending the nets

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank mending the nets

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  3pco 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

I saw Erik's photo on the same theme and it brought this one to mind from several years ago.    I think that I like the composition even though it goes against my norm.  I'm interested in what the sharks  think of my attempt to tell a story of a hard working person through a photo of their hands at work

DSC07093

billyspad
    Participant

Like this shot a lot Gary but would try and lift the shadows on the hands. Close ups of people carrying out skilled tasks with their hands are often very interesting and this is well captured. Your “story” is a typical stereotyping attempt. Carrying out a menial task in no way suggests this guy is hard working except if that is what you wish to believe. He could just as well be an idle bum working for ten minutes before hitting the bar.

Your picture is good and strong enough to stand on its own without enforcing its value with a piece of fiction.

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Afer looking at Erik's nice photo again and then going back to my own, I saw an opportunity for a B&W rendition.  I like this better than the color version.  Do you agree?

DSC07093

Richard Barnard
    Participant

If the photo is about hard working hands then I think you have to leave the viewer in no doubt about your intent. (Was this your intent at the time or something you thought about post capture? Your image suggests the latter as the hands are not captured in a way that makes them the centre of attention here).

As it is, the hands occupy a relatively small part of the frame and my eye wanders. The upper diagonal of frame is redundant and is not required to tell the story in my view and a stray object wanders into frame top right.

Unfortunately I don’t get any sense of hard work via your capture of the hands. I would like to see them dominate the frame and get a real sense of their texture, the evidence of abuse that they must have suffered mending nets and fishing in all weathers. I don’t see that here, particularly as we see so little of the palms / back of hands and a major portion of what we do see is in shadow.

I think this is a case of needing to be absolutely clear about your intent at point of capture and then composing in a way that you emphasise the main focal point of your image and then seek to minimise any distractions or elements that detract from the story.

Sorry, but the composition is such that I don't see this one as recoverable to tell your story effectively.

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

Yeah,  I see the point.  Richard is correct.  I did apply the story  to the photo in order to  post it here  and it wasn't well thought out.   Would have been better if I had made no attempt to tell you sharks  why I took the photo and the story I was thinking of when I made the photo?    Does the pic stand on it's own without being propped up with words?  Does the viewer build their own story?

Federico Alegria
    Participant

Hi there @garyzerbst, even though the intention of the image is clear, I think that a wider shot could tell the story in a less imposed way. The black and white decision is right, but the post-processing actions are too harsh for my taste, there is a lack of tones and details on the shadows (which can indeed be seen in the first version).

3pco
    Participant

Hi Gary

I like this a lot. Catching the index finger pointing toward the work is a really tasty bit.

I think the BW is better. I would keep the harsh conversion that you have. It's harsh work in the sun, and the high contrast suggests that.

Your story is just fine, imho, even if it is an afterthought. If it's a stereotype, well…stories become stereotypes because they are good stories.

The one thing I would do is to crop to eliminate the two vertical whatever-they-ares at the upper right. It centers the hands more and leaves you with a cleaner design which you can claim is artsy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.