Moon over Cancun

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Moon over Cancun

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  JasenkaG 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Randy Menard
    Participant

Moon over Royal Caribbean Hotel

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

@randy3011 That's a beautiful image Randy. Thank you for sharing with us 🙂

All parts of the frame are exposed correctly, except for the moon being overexposed and top right slightly underexposed. Not sure if you were going for this look. If you are looking to have the moon correctly exposed, you will have to take two frames – one exposed for the foreground and another exposed for the moon and combine them.

Also, I think the temperature is a bit too warm for a night shot. Maybe lower it a bit. Not sure what you think about that.

Randy Menard
    Participant

It was taken with a Nikon Coolpix 820. No filters or anything. Exposure was about 1.5 seconds. Camera was held firmly on the balcony rail. It is pretty much the view I saw. I don't do any manipulation of my pictures. This was back in 2007 when I was just getting back into photography with a digital camera.

Tom M
    Participant

I like the photo,I don't mind the moon the way it is,but the bottom left of the light on the bldg is really hot…

billyspad
    Blocked

Randy if you do not wish too or are unable for whatever reason too carry out any post work then its as good as its going to get. If your happy then that is fine. However this is the ST so I think your image is just the starting point for a decent fota. The moon needs fixing the bright area on the nearest hotel and it could do with some depth achieved with lightening and darkening various parts. I think you will find when Mr Nikon sold you that camera he sorta assumed you would want to take your images beyond the straight out of camera state. An image straight from the camera is invariably a snap shot, that same image worked on in post becomes a photograph.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Hello Randy, since this was taken with a point and shoot camera, it looks pretty good and you did a great job when it comes to holding your camera still.

I think the main issue here is the white balance (color temperature is too warm) and there's an overexposed area in the lower left corner. When it comes to the moon, I don't find it too problematic in this case.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.