Mortlock Library

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Mortlock Library

This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Anne Hornsby 3 days, 15 hours ago.

• Author

Graham Hart
    Participant

This library is in one of the old buildings in the central part of the city which I have lived in for the past 30 odd years. I had never been there till this week and probably never would have were it not for photography. Now I have to go back and try again. Bit unhappy with the quality, noise etc.

Tom M
    Participant

Looks real good to me,Graham. I don't see the noise, other than maybe a little halos around the purple windows on top, maybe over sharpened?

Graham Hart
    Participant

You're probably right about that Tom. I was hoping for a tack sharp image but I struggled in the low light setting (f5.6, ISO800, 1/4sec, 20mm). This was a stack of three exposures at -1, 0, +1 compensation. The light balls are still fuzzy and you already mentioned the purple window halos. Definitely going back to try again.

This is on my bucket list to photograph Graham. Every time I see photo's from there I hear the Harry Potter music in my head! I love it.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Its an amazing place David. Deathly quiet with students studying in each of the booths down the left and right sides while I try to not make a sound as I set up my gear. Next thing a screaming hoard of primary school kids on a tour come barrelling up the stairs yapping their heads off. It was like a scene from Hogwarts, I half expected Professor Dumbledore to follow them in telling them to pipe down 🙂

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Such a lovely shot! Sadly there are no such libraries here in Belgrade, but I would love to visit something like this someday. I agree with what others have mentioned – I can definitely feel the Harry Potter vibe 🙂

Falxy
    Participant

Sry Graham this is why i mostly stick to the ST………..though that has softened on comments…………….why pick on Graham,cus i have a lot of respect for………………………………..ignore moi.

not allowed adverse comments so no………….

Graham Hart
      Participant

Don't go soft on me now Falxy. Gimme what you got. God forbid I've turned you vanilla!

Mistyisle
    Participant

Hi Graham, I am definitely envious!  Much better than my shots of this marvellous place (am restraining myself from going and deleting them).  I can't see the noise you refer to.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks Jim, the areas that irk me are the skylight above and the columns on the lower floor which appear quite noisy on my monitor when viewed larger. I was also hoping to get more definition on the light globes which don't have clearly defined edges.

Having said that, for a first attempt at a serious indoor low-light shot, it could have been worse I guess. A year ago I would have been over the moon with this shot but Lightstalkers has taught me so much I'm a bit harder on myself now 🙂

Falxy
    Participant

man i'm without most social graces………………you all put up with me………..I tend to rest on the verge of anarchy whilst mostly keeping my shit together…………………..not good in club environments…………certainly not into nice,nice…………..

i also upset to hopefully get a more realistic review of my lowly efforts………..that sounds bad/awful.

that said…if good i state,if bad i state depending on who the contributor is……….try to help newbies…………………………..inbetween i now don't bother.

still love this site….Rob……but has softened

Hopefully still room pour moi! 🙂

Graham your well graceful! 🙂

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Graham,

I like it. A bit too dark for my taste. And possibly a 1×1 crop, that pulls you in a little more.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thanks for your thoughts Erik. It was actually quite a dark space with the light globes positioned to illuminate the study booths below them. I wanted the railing in the foreground to balance the lattice work in the skylight above with the bookshelves as a central banding element.

I'm not so sure about the square crop with the geometry in this image but I did play with the idea of a heavier crop to highlight the symmetry more. In the end, I went with the taller version to retain the skylight's colour.

Erik Fransman
        Participant

In this version, I miss the roof windows. I like it better with them in.

Graham Hart
          Participant

Yeah, me too actually. Did you catch the other pic I posted ‘Mortlock Library 2'? I like it even more than this one.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Graham, what an elegant space.    I prefer seeing the full expanse of the windows, so applied a 16 x 12 crop.   (Yes, I'm a fan of non-standard crops.)

I also moved the Camera Raw Highlights slider to 50 – I wish I could explain exactly what that translates to in terms of adjusting your camera settings.

Wonderful that you can return and work on refining your vision.  

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.