Nero's Delight

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Nero's Delight

This topic contains 20 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Falxy 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author

billyspad
    Blocked

We dance in the fire,
    We laugh in the flames and never learn.
    With no cares for tomorrow,
    ‘cause tonight we just love how it burns.    Digital Summer

Tom M
    Participant

Very cool, Billy Love the interstellar explosion. Some might say facing her to the right might have been better. I don't…

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by  Tom M.

billyspad
      Blocked

She faces to the left in a vain attempt to escape the flames. Thank you for calling by Tom always good to hear from you.

Albirder
      Participant

Tom, I write a blog about street photography and one of the topics that is queued up is, “Flip It?” The blog arose from me reading an article by Barry J. Brady about ways to improve a street photography composition. The first way he suggested was to compose so that the viewer’s eye moves left to right in a composition. That can generally be accomplished by flipping a picture in post processing, assuming, of course, there is no text. This would be a perfect example, and yet you do not favor the flip. Why is that?

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Albirder.

Tom M
        Participant

i just thought sometimes rules can be broken.I wonder if reversing this  image would have improved it that much?

Dorothy
    Participant

billyspad: (may i call you Billy?) i really like this along with the quote.  i did just a little dodging  on her earring, arm, shoulder and sharpened her dress under her arm and the back wall a bit. it still has the dream like feel just felt it needed to stand out a little more. (personal taste of course)  Nero's Delight by billyspad-dms edit

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  Dorothy.

JasenkaG
      Keymaster

Hi Dorothy, you did a great job with editing here! It's subtle but still noticeable.

Dorothy
        Participant

JasenkaG – thanks for the comment, it was thoughtful of you to let me know you could see what i did.

Frank
    Participant

Rising from the crypt…… escaping the Devil.     I really like the background.

Mistyisle
    Participant

Not sure where to begin, Billy.  A brave, and dare I say it,  foolhardy approach.  Somehow it does not resonate.  Enclosed space, yes for this – tick!  Her arms with halo – no.   What is happening – no idea at all?   Her expression – indeterminate.  Back to the drawing board – join the club (I am a foundation member!).

billyspad
    Blocked

Dorothy I would be honored if you call me Billy. Some bounder called me supercilious a little while back so Billy has to be better than that eh. You can edit my pics as you see fit young Dorothy. Feel free to play anytime your passing.

Dorothy
      Participant

Thank you Billy, 3 times. 🙂 You will now be forever Billy, you don't mind my edit and you called me young.

billyspad
    Blocked

Glad ya like it Frank and thank you for commenting.

billyspad
    Blocked

Mistyisle Spec savers for you my man. Ya cant see whats happening? There's some poor woman getting her ass burnt off is whats happening. If you were looking for deep meanings remember this is a Billywork he dont do deep! Whats this about a halo bro? Think you and I should sit down with a well toked bong and a bottle of tequila to discuss this further. Billy makes note to call his dealer and tell Mrs Billy ol' Misty is coming to supper!

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by  billyspad.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I haven't commented on this one because I didn't like it at first and thought it best to just say nothing. Having revisited it several times, I have warmed to it while still having some reservations because I think I now know what has been irking me.

I think it feels unfinished to me. I like all the elements, the great BG, the flames, the pose (is that from the old home shot seen before?) but I feel a disconnect between everything.

She floats in mid-air, on a bed of flames, in a gothic church setting. What's going on here? She is also off to the left which leaves all that space on the right which in turn draws the eye to the BG architecture and the mind is off on a tour of the building.

My solution to resolve all this is to give her some magnificent angel wings! Fill up the empty space and add balance, negate the ‘flip' conundrum, tie all the elements together (in those flames she'd be on her way to the pearly gates anyway) and take the attention away from the BG by covering it up more.

(on a technical note, the bottom of her left arm needs lightening to reflect the fire below)

billyspad
      Blocked

I do not like it because………….is useful critique Graham so in future do not hang back.

Ol' Billys rhino skin can take all the criticism in the world but is not above absorbing and taking note of good advice. Like the idea of wings by the way. Problem is I fit a pair of angel like wings to Mrs Billy and I get a lady with ideas above her pay grade to deal with! Further thought required on that one mate but good thinking

Graham Hart
        Participant

Fair point. I just couldn't put my finger on what it was I didn't like until after several viewings, the balance thing kept popping into my head. I think the background is so ancient looking and intriguing that it kept pulling my attention there.

As interesting as it is, I thought it needed to be sacrificed a little by way of something blocking a fair chunk of it out. That's when I thought about the wings which would perhaps explain her floating appearance as well as provide a link to the fire burning the life out of her as she ascends to whatever awaits her. Could be any number of things I suppose but just  something to shift the focus completely onto her.

The wings might make Mrs Billy see that in your eyes, she's an angel! Gotta be points scored for that 🙂

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

As Jim/Mistyisle knows, I'm a big fan of photo compositing.   I do like Dorothy's edits, but to be honest, Billy, this image just doesn't grab me.  I think it's the wrong female figure relative to the background the the fire story.  Her facial expression and the way her fingers are delicately posed communicates more that she's dancing in a ballet or posing instead of fleeing from fire. Her dress & the print on the dress seem a mismatch, too.  Can you try to layer on a different female figure?  Have fun!

billyspad
      Blocked

Hya Anne I agree for sure about the dress or to tell the truth its a housecoat lol. The dancer is in fact Mrs Billy taken from an image which means much to me but is far from perfect. Nothing more than a snap shot of a moment of magic in my eyes. So this was a bit of self indulgence on my part nothing more.

I appreciate you calling by and thank you for the comments

Dorothy
        Participant

Aww Billy, that is very sweet. Maybe you should reconsider those wings for Mrs. Billy. 🙂 She let you use a photo of her in a housecoat!

Falxy
    Participant

im an idiot of few words……………works for me man…………………lov…….bloody keyboard………………!! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.