New Orleans Street Artist

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank New Orleans Street Artist

This topic contains 12 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  bucweeet 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

Tom M
    Participant

A photo from 2004 on a Canon point and shoot, well before I had a DSLR. A street artist. Has been cropped and worked on in Lightroom. Any improvements? C and C welcome.

1/125 sec @ f/4.0

Mostahfiz
    Participant

I like the squares/rectangles that are a theme in this shot. Maybe add more saturation to the man’s shirt and lift the shadows very slightly from his shirt area.

Graham Hart
    Participant

I really like the scene and the story Tom but it feels like the focal point (the artist) is kind of hidden away to one side and is dominated by the splash of colour on the other side. Initially I thought about cropping out the coloured paintings but that would be a shame so then I thought what about converting it to B&W and then some PP work to bring the old man to the fore. Ended up with neither.

Just downloaded the free version of Topaz and came up with this. Whadya think?

Tom M
    Participant

Oh, I don't know. Not sure if I like the washed out colors or not. I was just thinking- I wonder what it would look like in B&W, with select color on just the artist? Maybe I'll have to try to remember how to do that in LR and see. Thanks for another way to see it…

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by  Tom M.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Cool. B&W was actually my favoured choice just to reduce the impact of the coloured paintings but then I saw this preset in Topaz and thought it aged the image in an appealing way. Hadn't thought of the select colour idea, look forward to seeing it.

Albirder
        Participant

I really like the Topaz post processing, Graham. I find the light on the artist’s hair very distracting in the original picture. I am not sure why. In the Topaz post it is a plus. This is certainly a well composed street picture, my hat is off to you, Tom, but it is nothing out of the ordinary. There is a name for that, “street repeat”. In this case, I think the Topaz post processing gives it that bit of uniqueness. It is an interesting philosophical issue for me when post can do that kind of heavy lifting. This is proof positive, Tom, that we should love the camera we have.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

It isn't the camera but the photographer, and you already seemed to have a very keen eye. There is no point for me to critique a work of 14 years ago knowing how much you have improved, but all I can say is that the subject was way to close to the edge of the frame. Further from that, it is a nice photograph of a very good moment.

Tom M
    Participant

Thanks guys for your input. I know it's kind of odd to have the main subject on the far edge, but I guess I kind of wanted to have a nice right to left flow. The highlight on his hair was a PP addition to kind of show maybe a little sunlight poking through the trees onto his head, but maybe it was too much or too bright…

Albirder
      Participant

I actually like subjects at the edge of the frame!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Albirder.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

I agree with Frederico. However, you do post it in the ST so we should comment.
    The subject to close to the edge and no focal point. The whole image is a bit flat.

I would try to give it a bit more pop.
    But overall, as a picture, it does not over excite me.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I hate to be contrary, not really.  The color shot is interesting and I think the white hair and the color paintings balance each other out a bit.  I agree with Erik that it doesn't over excite me.  Don't care for the Topaz processing.

Tom M
    Participant

Here was the one other shot I took of this street artist over his shoulder. Notice the light falling on his painting. That was why I emphasized the highlight to his hair on the other shot,it was just there…

bucweeet
    Participant

Just  wondering if you tried cropping to the ‘square' of the frame holding the paintings (keeping the painter in the frame)?  Might provide another version of the image.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.