One From Today

Home Photography Forums Landscape Photography One From Today

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  beth 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

John Thompson

Here is an interesting IR shot from my backyard (garden)

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Beautiful image John. I like how the variation in intensity of light is recorded as different shades of colours 🙂

John Thompson

Thanks Dahlia I was amazed at how this looked when I set WB and swapped channels.

Dorothy
    Participant

John: awesome! so, forgive my ignorance but i take it this is all green leaves and as Dahlia said the various lighting causes the different shades of colors?

John Thompson

Dorothy thank you and yes these are all green leaves.  Very green as a matter of fact.  To be honest I am not sure how this brighter center spot occurred.  If you look some of it is shaded and some in direct sunlight.  I have only been playing with this camera for a few days so everyday is new to me.

Frogdaily
    Participant

Wow, this is really interesting John, love it!

John Thompson

Thank you so much.  I am five days into this and still feel like I know nothing.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Cool shot John. I'm inspired to get my IR camera out! 🙂

John Thompson

Well get it out!!!  I will make a throwdown on IR Sunday or Monday.  I really want to see if anyone has any shots to show.  I know you do and I believe Beth @loki does but maybe some others as well.

beth
    Participant

the pink is the ir hotspot in the lens.  some lenses are more prone to it than others.  stopping down makes it worse.  i think i remember it has something to do with the way the coatings are applied in the lens elements.  they're tested for visible light but not ir or uv light.  but sometimes, like with this image, it can make things more interesting.  so it's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to be aware of.

John Thompson

Thank you Beth.  I did not think of that even though I knew about lens hotspot.  It truly is a different world.

Beth did you have a lens calibrated by Lifepixel?  Have you tried to use other lenses?  I found an old Nikon 18-70mm on ebay.  Lifepixel recommended it and I sent the lens with the camera to convert.  The lens is a bit soft (its a cheap lens).  I am thinking about trying other lenses with this camera and using live view to focus.  Maybe I will just accept what I have and enjoy it!  LOL.

beth
        Participant

they didn't do lens calibrations when i had my canon converted.  i don't have the camera anymore, i sold it when i downsized my canon gear about 5 years ago.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.