Outside of Merida, MX

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Outside of Merida, MX

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Graham Hart 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

This was just outside of Merida, MX, a very old Mayan city on the Yucatan Peninsula. They had a thatched roof and a dirt floor. At one time most of the these people were basically slaves trapped in a Hacienda system of going deeper and deeper into debt. They recently had electricity brought into the area which IMO is responsible for huge and mostly good changes in their life as they learn about the outside world thru television. At one time it was a serous crime for them to learn how to read and write.

I tried to frame the group between the walls and the thatching above. The lady on the right looks very proud and experienced and I would have loved to hear her life story! I tried BW but I think the colors in their traditional dress are a part of the story.  However, I'm not sure the story is obvious without explaining it. Shot with a pocket camera.

Outside of Merida, MX

Anonymous

I love it!  The only problem is that you cut the women’s legs at an awkward angle.    But I love the colors.

3pco
    Participant

Very interesting portrait, Lenny, and I do like the framing. The thatch across the top is just scrumptious. I'm not troubled by the legs, but maybe a slightly closer crop to address Laura's issue? And maybe dodge the figures in back, although the woman appears out of focus and half the child's face is obscured.

Albirder
    Participant

I absolutely agree this has to be in color. I am curious as to why you did not take this as a vertical image. I agree with additional cropping and dodging, but actually an imperfect picture kind of goes along with challenging lives. I like this, Lenny.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

The people were very camera shy and I only took one frame.  Dumb but I was probably more nervous than them!   I used a primitive pocket camera and only have a small JPG but on the other had I'm not sure how they would have reacted to a DSLR with and huge lens.  As I recall my back was up against the car so I couldn't get any further back and still include the two stone walls in a portrait shot so the feet are cut off and it's a landscape aspect.  Not blaming it on the camera…  “the most important part of the camera is the 12 inches behind it”, Ansel Adams.  I could crop to fix the awkward angle of the dresses but I don't want to remove the colored trim at the bottom of their dresses.  Allen, good idea to dodge the people inside and I will see if there is anything left in the tiny JPEG.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Definitely colour. I was going to say I would've liked a wider shot to show more of their surrounding environment but your explanation of the shooting conditions above precludes this. They look pretty cool and relaxed for ‘camera shy' people and considering the history, the bright smiles and sunshine and beautiful clothes all combine to make this a happy family portrait. Perhaps this speaks of their resilience as a people?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.