Pemaquid Point lighthouse

Home Photography Forums Landscape Photography Pemaquid Point lighthouse

This topic contains 8 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Ed 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author

Ed
    Participant

This is one of my favorite spots on God's delightful rock.  I have old family roots in the area, often vacationed as a kid at the hotel up the road, have been back many times, honeymooned there (both times), and had an epiphany sitting on the rocks in the sun on the second honeymoon visit; it was induced by the rhythmic waves, the clear salt air, the sounds of the gulls, the heat of the rocks. (My ashes will be scattered there).  Monhegan Island sits in the distance. .  At $650K, I could not afford to buy the house out of scene to the right  (now a big bucks vacation rental); the million-$ plus just upcoast … well, 'nuff said.

geo-Coordinates
    43°50′13.03″N69°30′21.77″W

The lighthouse is one of Maine's most-photographed, though surely not from this angle. One of may favorite B&W shots is of the iconic layer granite rocks in front.

This was shot with a 14-mp Kodak C182 SureShot, ISO 80, 1/250, 5.7 mm (?).

When I go back, as I surely will, I will bring better gear.  My tripod, for openers (I ued the top of the car here), my Canon 18-mp, a cable release, and maybe even a new fatser lens.

Other than that, how can I improve the shot?

Version 2

https://flic.kr/p/QgL5Zz

Tom M
    Participant

The biggest problem I see is the noise in the sky, and the clouds on the right are pretty blown out to. This probably should have been posted in the shark tank though for critique. I'm sure some one better in Photoshop than me, can tell you how to eliminate these problems. I'm sure it'll involve a layer and sharpening of some kind…

Ed
    Participant

Thanks, Tom.  Yes, this was shot before I ws even aware of post-production and it was processed with a lesser system in Kodak. It's not probably worthy of Shark Tank.  Putting it through my newer post-production software (Apple) doesn't provide enough punch to reach back in time.   [I have prayed to Warren Buffett but he's not answering....]   August is only five months away when I can return with better gear and more knowledge.

BTW, Damariscotta cultured mussels and oysters are to die for, along with those crustacenas that turn bright red when you boil them.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

We all have snap shots like this which bring back memories, and as such they're valuable to us. I had never heard of this place or light house, so I took a look on the web, and man there are a lot of images of the place. You should be able to get some great photos when you go back. Of the ones I saw, the ones with early sunrise and good wave action stood out. Most of them were taken from a bit closer with a variety of angles.

Since you asked about improving the shot, I tried to pull a little more out of it for you. Some noise reduction along with some curves using luminosity masks and lastly a bit of sharpening in hopes of pulling out some detail.

Ed
    Participant

Thanks, Rob. So much I need to learn. The Maine coast is a playground for photographers. Yes, this waas a snapshot, a record, the first steps into the digital realm. LightStalking is, someone said recently, like a university. I need to build up a deep archive and hire a local expert who can teach me post-production in depth.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I was first introduced to Lightroom by a pro photographer I met by chance at an outdoor jazz concert. He opened a lot of doors for me in a couple of hours of one on one instruction. If you can find a like minded person in your area I highly recommend that approach. If I were in your area I'd be happy to help out for free. There must be someone where you are.

Lightstalking, as you know, is a fabulous resource. It's affiliate Photzy also has tons of free guides as well as some very worthwhile ebooks.

There are a couple of other online resources that are well worth the price. Kelbyone.com and Lynda.com. Of the two Kelby is more focused on photography but I got a lot out of Lynda as well. It's a bit of a steep learning curve that never stops but for those inclined it's very enjoyable.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Rob Eyers.

Ed
    Participant

Thanks, Rob. Since joining here, I have patiently assembled 24 free and purchased PDF's from Photzy, three free e-bopoks from Anne McKinnell, 12 pages of over 60 links to tutorials assembled by staff; {hoptzy's three-pdf set of “Action” cards, and ExpertPhotography's deck of 52 “cheat sheets' is in the mail. Next week, when the weather improves, I will spend two-to-three days east of here on a personal scout and shoot adventure; Patriots Day is coming, which is a big deal to some in these parts, and there are re-enactment photo opportunities from the Old North Church to Battle Green, Battle Road, Merriam's Corner, the bridge, and the farm and mill that was the target of those grenadiers in red. And there's a host of terrain, farms and other stuff between here and there.

The question is whether indeed I should spring for Lightroom or simply continue to use the Apple software that's in my desktop.  There's a fellow at a local camera gear-monger's place who once offered sessions in which he would come to my home to sit with me to teach post-production.  I'll look into that, as well as the possibility of renting a telephoto lens.

I've already exchanged with Federico and, graciously, you, as well as others, and I see a request in my mailbox. I have a lot to learn, but it looks like I csme to the right place, even if you are on the other side of the rock.

I'll be around….

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Agree, Ed, that the Maine cost is a feast of great images for the photographer.      I like the shape of the land moving out to a tip into the water, but don't really see the lighthouse.   When you return perhaps you could experiment with capturing the interesting bolder slabs closer up.  Are you allowed to walk out on to that point, and shoot from there back up to the lighthouse?

Ed
    Participant

Anne, thanks… Yes, everyone has the main angle and the close-ups of the rocks.  It's the iconic side of the experience. This time I was trying something different, mostly because i'd fallen in love with the little bungalow just out of the picture. I should have bought a drone or rented a boat. In my youth (late 20's and early 30's), I used to clamber out on to the rocks, back when I had a Minolta, and I have a b&w that is a favorite, but I have not scanned it into digital. [Some things are sacred.] As Rob noted, this is one of the most heavily-photographed scenes up here.  I have a screen saveron my desktop of a sunrise (shot with a drone by someone else). One can find lots of drone-shot scenes and films on the Internet. The place has magic for me because I had a transcendental moment of epihany sitting on those rocks.  My grandfather 8 generations removed was a sea captain who built and shipped out of the mouth of the Kennebec.  And I can and will go back.  But, having had a left-sided motor stroke in the middle of open heart surgery a decade ago, the days of my clambering on slippery sharp rocks are gone.

But I can sit in that chair for $349 a day through VRBO….

https://flic.kr/p/2f8tns8 

boxonrox

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.