Post-Editing of Photos & Ethics

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Post-Editing of Photos & Ethics

This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Frank 3 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author

Luis M.
    Participant

This awesome photograph was shot at LAX and was the Photo of the Month (Week?) on FlightRadar 24.  I have been to that same exact location (see map) to watch planes land.  There is no way anyone could have taken that shot unless they used a drone which would be illegal and dangerous.  But then how did he get the exact terrain below the A-380?  I'm confused.  Any opinions if this is real or photo-shopped?  If it is fake should photographers be more honest or should they get a pass?

Luis M.
    Participant

Craig
    Participant

After looking it over, in my very novice opinion, I don't think it is a post processed creation. My, quite wild, guess would be, it was taken from another aircraft.

Robert Apple

When we look at the shadow of the trees and poles along the sidewalks versus the plane, they are going two different directions. It is however interesting that there is a Airport there and it seems on track with the runway, but the light from sun cant cast shadows in two different direction, I vote for faked.

Luis M.
    Participant

Plus, that specific runway  is on the northeast edge of LAX and where the photograph appears to be shot is the rest of the airport.  For obvious reasons, there are no tall buildings anywhere near there.  They have had problems with drones at LAX, but I don't even know if a drone could take a picture like that.  So the vote is one that it's real and one that it's a fake.

bucweeet
    Participant

f you look ‘really closely' at the aircraft itself… you will notice that is flying “inline” with both W92nd St and the buildings.

Using the LH edge of the map as “directly” West, the UAE aircraft is going to “land on” Lincoln Blvd. In order for the UAE aircraft to land on 24R as indicated in the picture, the aircraft should be ‘pointed' slight south (or as the runway heading/number suggests… the aircraft should be flying 240 degrees… not 270 degrees).

So I say it is a composite image.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I vote fake based on shadows. Look at the light in the front of the jet engines too. That isn't the same as the plane's shadow either

Craig
      Participant

Interesting that the light pole shadows line up with the shadows in the jet cowling. But, I have agree with Rob, the planes ground shadow seems to be much farther forward (Sun farther to the rear).

Dorothy
    Participant

hmm, Craig, actually when i look really close the line by the pole that goes in the direction of the plane is not the pole shadow, it actually does go up the sidewalk the same way as the tree shadows.  very interesting discussion, i say fake. good fake that probably took a bit of work but still fake.

Luis M, i am a firm believer in honesty so i don't think a photographer should claim it as actually real. (for instance i don't think the photographer should say “I took this photo yesterday” and leave it as if it is real)  so i say No Pass.  The more we let things slide the more we will be lied to and the more upcoming generations will think it is ok to lie and deceive others.  just saying. (yikes, definitely something i feel strongly about)

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Quite interesting image, but I think it's a composite and this airplane seems to be too close to the ground while in urban area, I've never seen anything like that before.

Luis M.
      Participant

I have been to that exact spot and the planes do go that low.  The beginning of the landing strip is about 150 yards from there.  I'm just baffled on how he could of taken that picture.  The only way would be with a drone.  Here is a screenshot of a lousy-quality video I shot of a 777 landing from that exact location.  I used my cellphone so there was no zoom.  Thanks for commenting!

Graham Hart
    Participant

I say fake too but its hard to be 100% sure. The shadows tell the story but maybe there's some parallax effect in play making the plane's shadow appear further forward than those of the light poles due to it's elevation from ground level? Having said that, how was the pic taken in the first place assuming it wasn't a drone? Gut says fake though.

Absolutely nothing wrong with creating images that aren't real but if you're going to enter them in a ‘photo' comp then it should be in the right category like ‘artistic', ‘composite', ‘creative' etc so that viewers know that the image they're seeing isn't an actual photograph.

Luis M.
    Participant

Thanks for your perspective Graham.  I agree with you 100%

Robert Apple

I did an internet search and found the original post of the image , interestingly enough the exif data showed a tale of two photos, one scanned and and one taken with a cannon D70. Definitely a composite photo. and my guess would be the ground image was scanned from an Ariel survey photo.

Luis M.
    Participant

Bingo Robert!  That explains it.  Thanks.

Frank
    Participant

bucweet, the FBI is looking for a few good men.   Impressive compass work!  Good grief, Luis, I would be either ducking or running if I saw a 777 bearing down like that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.