POTW – January 7, 2019

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – January 7, 2019

This topic contains 20 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  LeanneC 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Here we are with the first POTW for 2019. I wonder what fantastic photographs this year will bring to Light Stalking?

I narrowed my selection this week down to two photographs, and while they are completely different in appearance, they share some similar attributes.

First of all, they both depict architecture. However, what really attracted my attention was that they both relied heavily on post-production technique to establish a mood and send a visual message – slash – story.

In the end, I chose Beth's shot of the Dooley Church.

I find this image both beautiful and haunting at the same time.

On the one hand, I can hear the laughter and greetings of families with children. On the other hand, my mind almost tricks me into believing that I can see ghosts in the windows.

Beth's use of a subdued monochromatic color scheme plays heavily into this mood.

She set her black point to black, but not a dense black. Her highlights are white, but not sheer white. The golden grass that surrounds the building has had the color saturation drawn back just enough so that it doesn't overwhelm the structure as the hero of the shot.

Her camera POV is perfectly placed, so that we can witness the opposing forces of two collapsing walls. This builds a visual tension that would be missing from another angle.

In my opinion, it is an exquisite picture… worthy of hanging on a gallery wall.

My runner-up was Billyspad, for his chaotic abstract architectural image titled, “Downtown”.

His image also creates thought and evaluation through his use of post-production. I will post a link to his photograph below.

Congratulations Beth on your POTW. The first of 2019!

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love this billyspad!

John Thompson

Congrats Beth!!  I said your photos have a uniqueness about them. I think you will have many POTW entries over the coming year.  Cheers!!

Bobbie
    Participant

Great choice Kent!
    I love this image Beth. The sense of place and emotion is very strong. The tipsy church looks like something out of Alice in Wonderland. Congrats!!

beth
    Participant

thanks!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Congratulations Beth. Well deserved. I loved this when I first saw it.

Robert Apple
    Participant

This is one of many of your photos that I have really enjoyed, I have actually been making a log of where you have located these buildings in Montana. I have Family in Terry and friends at Fort Peck and am hoping to plan a vacation around visiting some of theses sites as well as loved ones. Well deserved Beth.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Wonderful image Beth, congrats on POTW!

Frogdaily
    Participant

Wonderful capture Beth I missed the original post so happy to see it here, congratulations on POTW!

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Congrats, Beth!    What a great image — the way the walls and beams within walls lean in different directions makes this a fantastic capture.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Congratulations Beth. Excellent image and you nailed the post-processing. Well done.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Congratulations on POTW Beth 🙂

Bhushan
    Participant

Excellent image,

Beth, Congratulations for POTW.

Tom M
    Participant

Beth, congratulations. I too missed this on LS. But just as I love old barns, old buildings are a close second. Very nice B&W treatment. Very moody…

Graham Hart
    Participant

Congratulations Beth. A truly excellent shot. Don't think I've ever seen an old abandoned building with more life in it before. Feels like it hasn't quite given up just yet. Perfect treatment brings this out.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Congratulations Beth! Beautiful image. A definite wall hanger and well deserved POTW.

beth
    Participant

thanks everyone, much appreciated.

Well done, @loki – top shot.

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Truly wonderful image Beth. One of my favorite POTWs ever! Well done!

LeanneC
    Participant

Congratulations on POTW Beth. It is a lovely, moody image.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.