POTW – January 8, 2017

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – January 8, 2017

This topic contains 22 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Falxy 8 months ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

It's a Cold Day to be a Horse.jpg

The minute I saw this photograph it was a POTW for me. There were many nice photos that were uploaded this last week. However this one, by Robert Apple, really stood out in my mind for a number of reasons. First and foremost, it tells a strong story in the simplest manner possible. I think this is a trait of photography that we tend to overlook these days with all the post-processing magic that is available to us. When I look at this photograph- I can hear the wind howling, and I can feel myself shaking from the cold. I'm also enamored with the fact that Robert didn't attempt to try and “pull” the horses out of the background with increased contrast, digital burning, or any other digital manipulation. Their faint outline, in the distance, almost obscured by the blowing snow, is the perfect storytelling element to this winter storm photograph!

• This topic was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by  Kent DuFault.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Congratulations Robert.
    Missed it in the posts, but thank you Kent for making sure we see it.

Top picture.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Great shot Robert, I can feel the cold! Congrats on POTW!

Rob Wood (Admin)
    Keymaster

Very nice shot.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Congratulations Robert! This one conjured up memories of winter days on the prairies for me. From the anchoring of the fence line to the horses faced in to the wind it is a great portrayal. I also appreciate your honest processing as Kent mentioned.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Wow, that's an amazing image. Can see the streaks that tell you in which direction the wind is blowing. Congratulations Robert on POTW 🙂

Robert Apple
    Participant

Thanks to all for your comments and for POTW, It really confirms that I got through what I wanted to with this photo, as I titled it “It's a Cold Day to Be a Horse”.

LeanneC
    Participant

Congratulations Robert! Great shot. It definitely makes you feel the cold.

ElinL
    Participant

A familiar scene ! Great image Robert – congrats on POW.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Less is more. Nice image.

chris pook
    Participant

Brrrrrrrrrr!!  Well done Robert!

Tobie

Nice one and very unique – congrat's Robert!

Frogdaily
    Participant

Love this photo Robert, congratulations on POTW

Mistyisle
    Participant

Just so simple and superb, Robert. Very well seen.

Ed Aldridge
    Participant

Lovely feel to the image, almost looks like a painting

Bobbie
    Participant

Congrats Robert – beautiful job!
    I'm so glad you picked this Kent because otherwise I would have missed it and that would have been a shame. Thanks for writing about the horses – I didn't see them until I started really looking for them.

ndjetfan
    Participant

As I traveled what they call the highline in MT today wind blowing, snow, and cold. I seen so many pictures like this today. Cattle bunched up horses with there tails to the wind. This photo catches a prairie life for sure. There is a book written by a Canadian author called “if you are not from the Prairie” I had this read at my father in laws funeral. This picture is that.
    Thank you @robertapple

Robert Apple
    Participant

Thanks again to all that commented after my last post.

Barbie Kaseman
    Participant

Congratulations Robert. I love the simplicity of the photograph. It's really beautiful.

John Thompson

Sorry it took me so long to get here but congrats Robert.  A well deserving post indeed.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Robert, I hate snow but love this photo… congrats!

Robert Apple
    Participant

Thanks again Everybody

Falxy
    Participant

the straight,the curve ,the colours,the space,the wildness,space and the surreal nature.

Well deserved Robert ! 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  Falxy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar