POTW – March 11, 2019

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – March 11, 2019

This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Mistyisle 2 months ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

The Birds

This week our Guest Judge was Maureen Photograph @maureenphoto. Here is what she had to say.

“Every once in a great while, I come across an image that hits my Big Three: 1. Immediate visual/emotional impact; 2. Perfect technical execution; and 3. Meaningful subject matter. Erik Fransman's “The Birds” hits this trifecta in spades.

The composition is bold and clear. Deceptively simple, it draws you in with its clean perspective lines. Every element serves a purpose. Even the five faint towers in the distance contribute to the whole. As for the technique, it speaks for itself. It works.

The subject — birds and wind towers — is compelling, leading to debates on matters such as the place of nature vs. human-built structures, even those regarded as earth-friendly/”green.” Plenty to chew on.

Congratulations Erik, well done!

I'd also like to recognize two outstanding images in the Monochrome/Duotone forum as runner-ups.

Andrew Tucker's infrared image of Balboa Park in San Diego is an amazing phantasmagorical rendition of this lovely place. Reminds me of the Emerald City in black-and-white. Gorgeous and bold — I love it!

Kudos also for Ashfaque Ahmed's image of a railroad yard. Maybe I've been reading too many WWII books lately, but I feel an uneasy atmosphere of foreboding. Scary and well-captured.”

Links to the runner-ups will be posted below.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Robert Apple

Congrats Erik. I liked this right off and my comments about it being a candidate as a commercial environmental poster on the original post still stand.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Congrats Erik. This image definitely touches a few topics. Very well done.

John Thompson

Good one Erik.  I like this one.  And, Andrew Balboa Park is extraordinary as is Ashfaque's Railroad Yard image.  So well done all of you.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

A very visually appealing photograph. I cannot come up with anything more to add to Maureen's spot on description. Congratulations.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Congrats Erik, great image, for all the reasons already mentioned!

“Balboa Park” by Andrew Tucker, and “Railroad Yard” by Ashfaque Ahmed, both really good contenders.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Congratulations Erik. Great shot with great perspective, both visually and environmentally.

Both runners-up are wonderfully interesting captures too.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Thank you Maureen Photograph for choosing “The Birds” as POTW.
    I appreciate and are humbled by your comments.
    I also like to thank the other Lightstalkers for commenting and by making suggestions for improvement. However, I am happy that you chose the originally posted color version. That is my favorite too.
    As you say, the image stirs up some debate on matters such as the place of nature vs. human-built structures. Something most people do not think about when they look at the green Wind Turbines.
    Thanks all for the congratulations!

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Awesome! Congratulations on POTW Erik 🙂

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Congrats on POTW Erik 🙂

Frogdaily
    Participant

Congratulations Erik on POTW!

Mistyisle
    Participant

Marvellous, Erik!  Congratulations

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.