POTW – March 4, 2019

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – March 4, 2019

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 18 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Falxy 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

What do I love in a photograph?

First of all, I began to seriously practice the art of photography in 1974. I was 14 years old.

My first SLR camera was a Ricoh Singlex TLS that I purchased with money saved from my paper route. I had a ramshackle darkroom in the basement of my parents home that measured about 2 feet by 3 feet.

For the first 7 years of my ‘Photography Life', I shot nothing but black and white film.

I tell you all of this, because I do have a real affinity for black and white photography.

What attracts me to a photograph in general?

I'm a maniac for great composition. I can forgive, or see past, a lot of stuff… if the composition is compelling.

I prefer images that effectively tell a story. It's my belief that an image with a story will always carry more interest than simply a beautiful picture. But, that's just my opinion.

I adore images that carry a secret message. A meaning that you must find by looking at the shot for more than a glancing view.

Our POTW winner this week hits all of those buttons.

It is titled, “inside my car”, and it was shot by Lightstalker Samet on his mobile phone- a Sony XZ.

This image is living proof that mobile phone photography is rapidly finding its place in our photographic world.

I want to mention that you should visit the thread, “Weekend Photography Challenge #424 Monotone/Duotone” , as there are a number of fantastic images on this one feed.

I also want to name a runner-up. Erik Fransman for his image titled, “Woef!” I'll post a link to Erik's shot below.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Kent DuFault.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Rain on the glass adds a nice texture. The image has a film noir look to it.  Phillip Marlowe on stakeout on a rainy afternoon. Congratulations on POTW.

Also congrats to Erik.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Dave Watkins.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Congratulations Samat on POTW 🙂

beth
    Participant

it's just an everyday, mundane scene taken from a car.  but between the tones and the dof/focal point there's a wonderful sense of mystery and drama in this one.  well done samat, congrats!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I missed this one so thanks Kent for picking it. The almost insignificant car and headlights steal the show for me with amazing weight for their size. Congrats Samat.

Also congrats to you Erik.

Tersha
    Keymaster

Congrats Samet on POTW!

And very cool shot Erik.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Good choice Kent and thanks for the mention. Honored. Congratulations Samet.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Congrats Samet. The pic really grew on me. Perhaps because I didn't notice the car/headlights at first glance. Underlines Kent's comment about ‘looking further than just a glancing view'. Gotta love Lightstalkers, another valuable lesson learnt.

Congrats to Erik as well. Loved your shot.

John Thompson

Congrats Samet!!  And to Erik.  I really liked Erik's shot in the ST and said my piece there

Tom M
    Participant

I too missed this photo earlier. I like the simplicity and the mystery. Well shot…

Richard Barnard
    Participant

Stunning B&W shot Samet! Congratulations on POTW.

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Congrats on POTW Samet!

Jeanie
    Participant

iPhone 7+ || LR Mobile

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Really cool image! Congrats on POTW!

Lincoln
    Participant

Personally, I don't like the vacant black area on the right hand side…but then, what would I know?!!

samet
    Participant

Thank you all for your insightful comments.

samet
    Participant

Congratulations Eric,

Falxy
    Participant

Woof Woof

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.