POTW – March 5, 2018

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – March 5, 2018

This topic contains 11 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  chris pook 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault

This week the POTW goes to Robert Apple for his image titled, “One Man's Trash is another Cat's Treasure”.

There is no denying that I have a strong affection for cats. So, I really had to examine my motives in selecting this photograph.

After writing down my thoughts, I came to the following conclusions.

1. The composition is perfectly laid out. I like the use of a frame, within a frame, that ultimately leads to the subject. while some may argue, that the cat is too centered, and the shot ignores the Rule of Thirds… in this case I think it works perfectly. I also enjoyed the S curve, created by the packing paper, that delicately wraps around the cat's face. This final touch solidifies the cat as the subject in what otherwise might be viewed as a “busy” shot. The placement of focus and color in the cat's eye makes for a perfect focal point. I even like the strings at the top, which help to create a barrier for the eyes not to drift upward and off the image- but instead point downward back to the cat.

2. The photograph tells an excellent story that is easily discernible, and just about anyone can understand, while being able to recognize a similar moment from their own life.

3. Technically, the shot has has no flaws in focus, sharpness, or exposure.

4. I found the title to be extremely witty and in full support of the subject matter.

This is one of those shots where simplicity is the hallmark of a great photo.

So… congratulations to Robert on your fabulous cat portrait.

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Kent DuFault.

Erik Fransman

YEAH!!! Congrats.

Wow! Awesome choice for POTW! I missed this photo, so happy you shared it … and Yes I can totally relate!  Congratulations Robert on POTW!

Love this shot! Congrats Robert on POTW!

I am partial to kitties too. I loved Kent's justification for picking it – as it is much more than just another cute shot. Well done, Robert! And the title is spot on!

Robert Apple

Thanks All,

Though I have to give credit to Porkchop, my model, as well.

And I really appreciate your critique Kent, admittedly I was glad he was so content in the box because I probably spent 20 minutes shooting at different angles and him peeking out of different spots until I got the one I posted here.

Tom M

Yes-almost a purrfect photo. Made me laugh…

Dahlia Ambrose

Congratulations Robert on POTW. Amazing!

Kent – I love how you have beautifully put down your thoughts into words đŸ™‚

Graham Hart

Congrats Robert! This is a great pic and reminds me that sometimes we can look to hard for something (subject-wise) when it is right there in front of us. A moment in time well captured (albeit with the help of Porkchop's patience). Well done and well deserved.

Still learning from your comments Kent. Thanks.

Love it Robert đŸ™‚ Congrats !

Rob Eyers

Congrats Robert! Well spotted.

chris pook

Good one Robert, nicely done!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Skip to toolbar