POTW – September 17, 2018

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat POTW – September 17, 2018

This topic contains 13 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Mariah Gauthier 1 week, 4 days ago.

• Author

Kent DuFault
    Participant

This has been a strange week for selecting a POTW!

There were several photographers whose names kept popping up in my mind all week. They included Lenny, Belinda (aka Frogdaily), and Jennifer Bachman.

I was pretty sure someone on that list was going to win the POTW…

And then, I saw the thread titled “Christine” by Mariah Gauthier.

(There were a number of nicely critical comments about Mariah's picture. My comment being the only glowing one – to date. But hear me out.)

As many of you know, I tend to favor the unusual. I also spend a lot of time studying art, art trends, commercial art trends, and I'm married to an award winning graphic designer – whom also helps me keep current on what “the look” is these days.

Mariah's image has a creative cutting edge to it that Is extremely powerful.

In fact, I wrote a detailed response to her image on her thread, and I'm going to repeat it here…

“I'm WAY on the other side of the fence from the other comments here. I FREAKING LOVE this. It is my favorite image that you've posted so far. This image has a real sense of mystery. From the expression, to the darkness, to the hands, to the slightly elevated view (giving her a sense of power over the viewer), the cropped head, the slightest catch of white in the eye, the gently parted lips, to the peeking through the foliage perspective, it's as if something significant is happening or about to happen and the tension is HUGE. Is this your run of the mill portrait? No… not at all. You could nitpick it to death if it were a run of the mill portrait. However, this is an example of an image that you could proudly walk into an appointment with a magazine Art Director, present as your work, and probably walk away with an assignment. It's a photo that I wish I had taken!”

Mariah has not won the POTW before, and it's always nice to see someone new win.

I just want to say that this doesn't take away from the significance of the runner-up images.

Lenny's “Contrast! Contrast!” is also an example of a sophisticated eye and extremely artistic sense of moment. It is also an example of professional level photo-journalism.

Frogdaily's shot's of water drops is always a visual treat, but she posted two this week that were particularly creative and technically perfect.

Finally. Jennifer Bachman's portrait of a cardinal staring into the camera is mesmerizing.

I'll post links to these runner-ups below.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

Tersha
      Keymaster

I didn't have much time last week, so I need to go and look at all these. Looking forward to it!

Tersha
    Keymaster

Congrats Mariah on POTW, a beautiful and unusual portrait!

Ann Wheatley
    Participant

Fabulous Maria, would you be willing to tell us a bit about how you made this image?

Federico Alegria
    Participant

Congrats to @mariahgauthie!

Graham Hart
    Participant

Congrats on POTW Maria.  Intriguing.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

@mahryeuh Hi Maria, Congratulations on POTW 🙂

Frogdaily
    Participant

Congratulations Mariah on POTW!

Thank you so much Kent for your kind words and choosing my WaterDrop photos it is always an honor! Congratulations to Lenny and Jennifer also.

ShelleyH
    Participant

Well done!

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Congrats to you Mariah!

Congrats to Belinda, Lenny and Jennifer too!

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Congratulations Mariah!   And thank for the mention Kent!

LeanneC
    Participant

Congrats Mariah! It is a very cool image. I like mysteries and I love Kent's reasons for choosing it.

Mariah Gauthier
    Participant

Wow, thank you so much, @kent! This was awesome. (I'm so sorry to everyone for the delay– I was actually traveling in Europe for a couple of weeks and was trying to be “unplugged” as much as possible.)

I so appreciate everyone's feedback on this shot. Know it isn't perfect, but it makes me feel great to know that trying something different is well worth it. This is great encouragement to keep trying to get creative and not be afraid to try something out.

Thanks again for the feature, and congrats to the runners up as well! I LOVE the cardinal, what a great capture.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>