Preparing the Victory Pose

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Preparing the Victory Pose

This topic contains 17 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Preston 1 week, 6 days ago.

• Author

Preston
    Participant

I've been watching a bunch of documentaries about World War 2 recently and got inspired by the colorization of the film by the producers.  I wanted to see how it would look by only taking the color out of the main subjects.  The photo was taken at a reactment one of our local towns had to raise funds to restore a vintage Stuart tank

Tom M
    Participant

Different. Good idea. They kinda look like statues. Run with that idea…

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I like it too. They really do look like a statue!

Preston
    Participant

Thanks guys! Maybe I'll add a bit more grain to the people to get more of an old photograph feel rather than a sculpture.  It's still a work in process

Dave Watkins
    Participant

I think this treatment worked really well. Like you say it's a work in progress. Should be fun to keep tweaking the process. Hope to see more in the future.

Preston
      Participant

I had another one almost ready to roll last night when I got “snapseed is not responding”.  Maybe tonight…

Graham Hart
    Participant

Very cool. It adds something to the theme too I think. At the time, people only saw these guys through B&W television and this treatment places the re-enactors back in that period. Great idea Preston.

Preston
      Participant

The funny thing is, it was weird seeing them live in color.  I'm so used to b&w for that time period.  More to come

Robert Apple

Great Idea Preston, love it.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Great idea Preston. I like it too and agree with what everyone has said – they look like statues 🙂

Stephen
    Participant

Great idea Preston, it reminds me of the final scene in the Sands of Iwo Jima film starring John Wayne.
    Sorry showing my age.

Preston
      Participant

Don't worry Stephen,  I seek out the older movies so you're not showing any age with me!

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

Your idea works really great! They indeed look like a statue 🙂

Preston
    Participant

Thanks everyone!! I printed it just to see what would happen, and I think it looks better on paper.  I wish you could see it on semi-gloss

Falxy
    Participant

just dreadful…………….sry…..bloody awful….oops

in my humble opinion it works not…………but then the eye of the beholder

Preston
      Participant

I won't hold it against you Falxy!  Like Ricky Nelson sang, ” ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself.”

On a side note, I just figured out what your profile picture is…crafty

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Well done Preston. For me, it works really well!

That is your image. I am always appalled by the colorization of B&W film by producers. They should lock them up and throw away the key.

Preston
      Participant

Thanks Erik.  I couldn't agree more with you.  Some things are not meant to be converted to color

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.