Reflections

This topic contains 64 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Horatio Hadley 1 month, 1 week ago.

• Author

Graham Hart
    Participant

I seem to have taken a few shots with reflections lately. Thought it would make a good throwdown…

Reflections In A Pond

20180126_180608-01

20180126_180450-01

reflections 001

3pco
    Participant

Morning at the Harbor

Life requires water.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful shot. One of those that just makes you want to be there. Stunning reflections have captured the colours wonderfully.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

I like the soft pastel colours in this image Allen. Beautiful ūüôā

Frogdaily
      Participant

Beautiful colors 3pco!

Robert Apple
    Participant

North Park Sunset.

Some subtle reflections, though sitting there watching it in the still peace and quiet could cause one to reflect.

North Park Sunset

Graham Hart
      Participant

Nice take on the theme Robert. Awesome sky. Definitely a place for reflection.

Robert Apple
    Participant

Late Fall at Riverbend Ponds

Late Fall at Riverbend Ponds

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Gorgeous winter image. Love it Robert ūüôā

Graham Hart
      Participant

Wow I love this image. The reflection appears to have more contrast and structure than the actual scene above it. The water must have been so still. Also like the shrubbery (bottom right corner). I think it adds something by referencing the line of dry grass through the middle of the picture. I also really like the circle of trees/reflections in the middle. Great shot.

Frogdaily
      Participant

Stunning photo @robertapple!

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Lovely set of images Graham ūüôā

Graham Hart
      Participant

Thank you Dahlia. I posted them from Flickr so wasn't sure how to label them. The first one is a reflection in a puddle of water. The green shiny thing is foil I think but it had deteriorated I guess and turned green. It was the colours that attracted me.

The second one is obviously buses in a bus depot where I work. Walking through the yard I noticed the reflections in the windows – would've worked in the leading lines section too.

The third one is the floor in the re-fuelling/cleaning bay. The bus wheels sit in the ruts to guide it through the bus-wash. I saw the green tree reflected in the grimey water puddle and thought the contrasting colours were fascinating.

The last one is of a bus parked beside a huge flowering shrub. It looked like the shrub was growing inside the bus.

3pco
    Participant

Boat reflection

Here's a fun one from the marina. Still waters are often found there in the morning during winter.

(Robert, I like the way you framed the trees.)

Graham Hart
      Participant

Nice shot. Having transplanted my blood for sea-water back when I was a young surfie, I could look at images like this for ages. Wish I was there climbing aboard. The still waters of early morning are so calming for the soul. Good place to reflect on reflections!

3pco, this is a tremendous reflection photograph.  I really like the lines, the contrast in your black and white and the ability this image has to keep me looking.  What a terrific photograph.  Thank you.

Tersha
    Keymaster

a couple from a while back …

reflections

reflections 02

Graham Hart
      Participant

Love both of them Dianne, especially the first one. I like the way we only see the reflection and not it's source. Also another good example of ‘layering' (I made that term up) with the different bands of texture laid atop each other. Love the colouring in the reflections in the second image.

Tersha, these two images are excellent reflections.  They are both equally interesting.  In the first image, the bright band of colour really makes a statement between the grass and dirt.  The second image is wonderful because of the variation of the reflection.  I really like both of these images.  Very nice.  Thank you.

Frogdaily
    Participant

Here is a few from me from the past …

Reflection of the heart

Koalaty time

Confetti Party

Graham Hart
      Participant

All three are stunning Frogdaily. Love the multi-coloured drops pattern against the black background in the last one.

Frogdaily
        Participant

Thank you so much Graham for your kind words

Frogdaily, wonderful images.  Your reflections are wonderful, although I am in agreement with Graham, the last one is outstanding.  For the first two pictures, what kind of a surface are you using, to create the reflection?  For the last one, Graham said it perfectly.  However did you accomplish this?  Thank you for fantastic images.

Frogdaily
        Participant

Thank you so much Horatio for your kind words. I used black acrylic to help create the reflections.

Ann Wheatley
    Participant

This is the Bridge of Peace, in Tbilisi, Georgia in afternoon light…
    The Bridge of Peace, Tbilisi

Graham Hart
      Participant

Beautiful setting Ann and great reflection.

Ann, your bridge image is gorgeous.  What a beautiful architectural piece.  The reflection in your image is perfect.  Thank you.

Robert Apple
    Participant

River Bend Ponds Sunset

River Bend Ponds Sunset

Tobie

I don't have anything to post but beautiful shots above!

Robert Apple
    Participant

North Park “Hiway”

North Park "Hiway"

Robert, what a gorgeous sunrise or sunset.  Those clouds are terrific.  The colour and texture is exactly what we all are looking for.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

This morning…

• This reply was modified 3 months, 2 weeks ago by  Kent DuFault.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Kent, I'm a sucker for the ‘blood vessel-like' complexity of tree branches and the way they frame the house against the gorgeous blue sky with the little splashes of orange in the windows makes this a lovely shot. I'm guessing clear blue skies are far and few between over there at the moment? I can see the window reflections but is that light reflected on the tree trunk too?

Robert Apple
    Participant

Heading out at Sunrise

The colors of the sunrise reflecting off of everything.

Heading out at Sunrise

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love this Robert, it's all grey and pink, which looks really good!

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Love this Robert. You caught the colours at the right time. These pinkish orange colours stay for a few seconds, don't they?

Graham, great idea, reflections.  What a fantastic group of reflections in this throwdown.  How exciting to see all the photographs that every member has posted.  Each one is a terrific as the next one.  Thank you everybody for these beautiful photographs.

Sodium Vapour Morning

Graham Hart
      Participant

Terrific shot Horatio. Love the atmosphere from the light in this pic. Might have called it ‘Purple Haze'.

Robert Apple
      Participant

This is really nice , love the color and the haze.

Thank you so much, Robert.  I appreciate your comments.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Love the golden glow Horatio. Was it reflection of the light from Sodium vapour lamps?

Yes, this was the actual colour of the sodium vapor lamps.  There was a little fog, which added to the glow.  What made it very difficult for me, was the fact that some of the fishing vessels had these incredibly, blown-out bright, LED lamps, aimed right at the camera.  It would have been easier if some of you could have been at the harbour with me, so that I could have picked your brains.  Next time.

Thank you Graham.  I like that name.  This harbour was located on the Oregon coast.

One more from that same harbour.

Angie
      Keymaster

Love the eerie vibe- beautiful

Thank you so very much Angie.  I appreciate you saying so.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Gorgeous image Horatio. What settings did you use for this shot if I may ask?

Absolutely Graham, the camera settings were:  ISO 64, 30mm, f/8.0, at 8.0 seconds.  I am thinking this was taken with the Nikon D-810.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Late to the party. Some nice images in this thread.

Rodney Bay Marina

Rodney Bay Marina sRGB 16x9.jpg

Rob, this is gorgeous.  I love the the clouds in the sky and those reflections, plus I really think the roof with the red, and the red reflection create interest.  Very nice.  Thank you.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Terrific shot Rob. This throwdown was from a couple of months ago but seems to have had a rebirth. Like you said, great images abound.

Feather:

P4200137

David, what a perfect reflection.  You are so very creative.  I really like this image because of the soft sky and the focused texture of the feather.  Thank you for a terrific image.

Graham Hart
      Participant

A seamless reflection. Very soft and textural David. Love it.

Tobie

A Common Moorhen snapped this morning. It reminded me of this throwdown.

Moorhen reflection

Tobie, your bird images are absolutely wonderful.  The red on this birds head and his legs and feet create interesting features.  What a fantastic reflection.  Thank you for a great image.

Tobie

Thanks Horatio! I'm still not sure of the crop but I guess it does qualify as a ‘reflection' shot! ūüôā

Graham Hart
      Participant

Certainly does Tobie. That rock reminds me of a brain or a walnut with the split down the middle.
      Thought of  you this morning when I saw a picture in my local paper of one of the most amazing looking birds I've ever seen. The Nicobar Pidgeon has recently been found living in North Queensland, Australia. It is a close relative of the now extinct Dodo bird. Amazing plumage. Google it!

Tobie

I did google it, thanks for that Graham! The moment I saw it I knew I snapped it somewhere and then found it under my shots at one of our local bird parks. It was one of many exotic birds kept in a huge aviary (Oct 2013). It could have been edited better but it was taken in my early days of photography and I'm too lazy to re-do it now ūüėČ

It looks better when you click on it:

Bird

Tobie, thank you for this image.  What a beautiful bird, with the most gorgeous plumage.  I hope they have a bunch of these birds in the aviary so that they can keep this bird from going extinct.  You may not have wanted to put too much time to re-edit it, but I think you do not need to.  This is a wonderful image.  Thank you.

Tom M
    Participant

One along shore at sunset…

Tom

This is a nice one Tom.  I love the pond with all of the reflections.  What a wonderful sunset.  This must have been a great day for you.  Terrific photograph.  Thank you.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>
Skip to toolbar