Say it ain't snow.

This topic contains 107 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Dahlia Ambrose 9 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Robert Apple
    Participant

Well it is all about snow.
    Winter Storm Over the Rockies
    Storm Over the Rockies
    Walking through Medicine Bow Forest just as the snow started to fall.
    Storm over Medicine Bow Forest
    Spring run off as the snow melts in Big Sky Montana.
    Big Sky Montanna

karenhy
    Participant

Beautiful photos. Especially like the first one.

Robert Apple
    Participant

The Sun Breaks Through the Snow Storm

The Sun Breaks Through the Snow Storm

Tersha
      Keymaster

All great shots Robert!

chris pook
    Participant

Movies!

Tersha
      Keymaster

That's a lot of snow Chris, reminds me of when I live up a track and had a landrover!

Robert Apple
      Participant

LOL, Looks like the road up to my place 8 months out of the year. Makes me wish I had a Video of us driving it in the PT Cruiser.

chris pook
        Participant

We got both trucks bogged in and had to walk off. It was fun really, and not too far. The locals went up the hill and came back with the two trucks… go figure… skill I guess!

Tersha
    Keymaster

We got both trucks bogged in and had to walk off. It was fun really, and not too far. The locals went up the hill and came back with the two trucks… go figure… skill I guess!

Robert Apple
      Participant

I really like this Diane.

LeanneC
      Participant

That is really cool, Diane. Looks like a painting…it has texture.

Robert Apple
    Participant

Just Did a Re Edit of this one for a Local Magazine, so thought I would re post.
    Natures Irrigation System.
    Nature's irrigation system

stevematten
    Participant

Can't remember if I posted this before or not.

Foggy mountain

Robert Apple
      Participant

I don't remember it Steve, but tis a cool Photo I can relate too.

Robert Apple
    Participant

Sticking to the Branches, We had 16 inches of the stuff 2 days ago but I tore some scar tissue in the recovering Knee and didn't get out.
    When Snow Sticks to Sticks.
    When Snow Sticks to Sticks

LeanneC
    Participant

Those are gorgeous, Robert. Really like the perspective and sky in the second shot.

LeanneC
    Participant

This is one from downtown Merritt, B.C. – Spirit Square is a spot where outdoor communities events occur. Every winter they dress it up with a Christmas tree. We have lots of country music murals around town – to recognize artists who have played a local music festival over the years (anyone know who this one is?). The flakes were coming down hard the evening I took this one:

Spirit Square, Merritt, B.C.

Robert Apple
      Participant

That would be Mr George Jones.

LeanneC
        Participant

???? Wish I could say you won a prize…how about bragging rights? Well done.

LeanneC
    Participant

And if you get really close to it…
    Snowflake I

chris pook
      Participant

cool!

(haha)

LeanneC
        Participant

???? I was! First time using “hot paws” (I shoved them in my boots). They are going into my winter photography kit now.

Robert Apple
      Participant

I just love these shots Leanne

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Robert. It is all melting now ????

Robert Apple
    Participant

Winter Wont Let Go
    010111_0475-2

LeanneC
      Participant

Great shot. I feel your pain, Robert. I am ready for spring now. Bring it on Mother Nature!

LeanneC
    Participant

Time to dig out the snow throwdown again…we have plenty of the white stuff where we are. And I was finally able to capture some of it with my macro lens…

Stellar Dendrites:

Stellar Dendrites

Not as pretty in this form but definitely interesting – these are called “needles” and “columns”

Columns, Needles and Clusters

And these are “rimed” snowflakes…they look the way they do because of little droplets of water that have frozen all over them:

Flurries

Happy New Year all! Hope you all have an amazing year in 2018

Frogdaily
      Participant

Absolutely Stunning images Leanne, amazing variety… but my favorite is the first one Β … the detail you got in the snowflake and the texture of the material they are laying on with the fibers around them – to top it off the colors complement each other so well – awesome Macro shot, Β great composition and lighting… POTW in my opinion!

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks so much Frog! That photo was my first attempt at “stacking” in a snowflake photo and I was quite happy with the results. Unless you are shooting a snowflake flat (especially larger ones) it is very hard to get everything in crisp focus. This is actually four photos stacked and blended. I am excited to try more of this in my macro photography.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow, stunning images Leanne! πŸ™‚

Tobie

Love'em! Well done!

Robert Apple
    Participant

As always, very nice Snow Photos Leanne.

LeanneC
      Participant

Thanks Robert. I thought it was time to revive your challenge. I am sure you have some snow too! Bring on the snow photos!

LeanneC
    Participant

Just so I don't get accused of ignoring my other lens…

A Soft Seat

A Soft Seat

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

A beautiful scene, beautifully framed Leanne πŸ™‚

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Dahlia.

Robert Apple
    Participant

Well Since Leanne has called me out,

It's a Cold Day to be a Horse.

It's a Cold Day to be a Horse.jpg

The Snowplow for My Truck

The Plow for My Truck.jpg

LeanneC
      Participant

Love them both, Robert. Although I am wondering why the plow isn't ON the truck?

Robert Apple
        Participant

Because it is buried in the snow, of course.

Actually these day I use a tractor.

Elizabeth Hazlett
    Participant

Not much on the ground there, but now we have quite a bit

Tobie

Nice shots above! Snow is a no-no in the province I stay in and in fact a rare commodity in our country, except for our mountainous regions. I think I have seen snow twice in my 60 year old life! πŸ™‚

Robert Apple
      Participant

Have you got any frost in an old freezer you can fake it with.

Robert Apple
    Participant

The Dreaded Snow Crab
    Known to be a scourge to overly promiscuous Yetis.
    The Dreaded Snow Crab.jpg

LeanneC
      Participant

Did you make the snow crab Robert? Love it!

Robert Apple
        Participant

Yeah, I make these out of old lawnmower parts, actually they are called junk yard crabs.

chris pook
    Participant

Hope you North American types are all safe and well and wrapped up for the weekend. Β Keep hearing about 1 in 30 year events, snow bomb storms, and -50 wind chill. Β  Brrrrrr.

looking on the bright side, snow scenes landscapes are cheap in on ink for printing. Β πŸ™‚

Robert Apple
      Participant

The thing about being in the cold is it's pretty easy to warm things up ,for me the heat is miserable, it's not near as easy to cool down. I'll take these ice crystals any day over the desert.

Graham Hart
        Participant

I'm with you Robert. Just had a 45 degree celcius day here last weekend (113 farenheit). Easier to warm up than cool down.

LeanneC
      Participant

-50+ with no wind chill in '86. My folks have photos of me outside playing…I was wearing a balaclava! We were holidaying at our cabin…no “running” water and my mom put foam on the outhouse seats so that the cold didn't bite quite so much when we really had to go! It felt like an adventure. We heated with wood. It was all good. These winters aren't SO bad. LOL! And yes Chris, winter pics are easy on ink too! I'll have to see if I can dig out a photo for throwback Thursday.

LeanneC
    Participant

I have been a little obsessed with snow lately…you know “water, water everywhere” Well, we are “snow, snow everywhere” right now. So, when life gives you snow…you take photos of it! Here are a couple more…

Snowscape:
    Snowscape

Falling Down Blue:
    Falling Down Blue

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow, these are so beautiful Leanne πŸ™‚

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Dahlia! I now have a piece of glass out on the deck all of the time, in the hopes of catching a flake. My daughter was looking for her coat and I had to admit that I was using it as a “snow catcher” on the deck the other day. LOL!

Robert Apple
          Participant

That's Funny. I am really going to have to make an effort to try this kind of photography.

Dahlia Ambrose
          Keymaster

Lol Leanne πŸ˜€

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I just spent some time lost in your snowflake images on Flickr Leanne. Really lovely work!!

LeanneC
        Participant

Thank you Rob. I am loving the snow this year. And we sure have enough of it!

Robert Apple
    Participant

The First day of Spring in Yosemite.
    Springtime at Yosemite

Robert Apple
    Participant

The morning after the Storm
    Morning after the Storm

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

That's gorgeous Robert. Beautiful colours and light πŸ™‚

LeanneC
      Participant

Gorgeous. Love how the pattern of the clouds and the snow clumps on the sage (?) are similar. That looks like a heavy wet snow to me.

Robert Apple
        Participant

Thanks Leanne, Sage and Buck Brush.

LeanneC
    Participant

More snow…and I think that this could go in Dahlia's throwdown (I can't remember what it is called) because I am sure I see snow people sitting in the chairs:

Summer Dreams

Robert Apple
      Participant

You should call it that Leanne, “Snow People”.
      I didn't really see that on flikr but now that is is suggested. “Pretty Cool”

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Yes, definitely Leanne. It's “Pariedolia” and I love the light in the image πŸ™‚

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Dahlia…now to figure out how to pronounce it. LOL

Rob Eyers
      Participant

They look like they're trying to get a tan πŸ™‚

LeanneC
        Participant

Haha! for sure, Rob!

Robert Apple
    Participant

Buffalo Radio Tower as the Storm moves in.

P1010003.jpg

karenhy
    Participant

At least our local penguins are enjoying it

penquinmarch3

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow! The one on the left looks like it's dancing away. Love the action you have caught here Karen. Great image! πŸ™‚

karenhy
      Participant

Thanks Dahlia!

Robert Apple
    Participant

Makes me smile.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

We had a blizzard last night.

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow, I like the spooky mood in the image Kent πŸ™‚

LeanneC
      Participant

Yikes! That doesn't look fun, Kent. Hope you are seeing nicer weather these days. I love snow on the door and wall – great texture.

LeanneC
    Participant

Here is a strange one – this is snow that fell on a clear, sunny day. It was -14 Celsius out and the ice crystals were forming in the air (called Diamond Dust). I wish I had gotten a good shot of them in the air but these ones landed on our vehicle (and melted very quickly) so I couldn't resist!

Diamond Dust

This was handheld, as I didn't have my tripod on me. I braced one arm on the windshield but I was very pleased that my morning coffee worked and I wasn't too shaky.

Astaroth
      Participant

Actually amazing! Handheld? Incredible image with a 90mm lenses and without tripod!

LeanneC
        Participant

Haha! Yes, not too bad, eh? I get some good macros with that lens, but never handheld. This might lead to me trying it again…which will most likely lead to bad photos!

Astaroth
          Participant

I take too much coffee to fix firmly my camera with my hands :p. I have a version of the TAMRON 90mm, It's a great lens! I used it with extension tubes for macro (2:1)… but now my camera's lens anchorage fails and I've abandoned it for a time…

Astaroth
    Participant

Here, in the city of Madrid, the snow is very very rare. When It occurs, people takes a lot of pictures and videos. Some days ago I recorded these images with my mobile:

• This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Astaroth.
    • This reply was modified 10 months, 1 week ago by  Astaroth.

LeanneC
      Participant

That is beautiful, Astoroth. The music makes me feel like the snow is dancing.

Astaroth
        Participant

Thanks :)! The music is from the YouTube video editor. I think it is very appropriate :).

Robert Apple
      Participant

So Peaceful, most of the time it snows around here its accompanied by winds in excess of 30MPH and the snow is traveling horizontal, like it is outside my window right now.

Astaroth
        Participant

Haha, it sounds so beautiful as frightening. Here, in the city (not in mountain areas), we have much more sun than snow :). Snow is a rare event we like to capture with our cameras.

Robert Apple
          Participant

Right after I read your response this popped up on my screen, has affirmed my resolve not to go outside with the camera.

Astaroth
            Participant

Wow, be careful! Safety is first :)!

Robert Apple
    Participant

He, however has a different opinion when it comes to snow, I have been trying to get him to come inside all morning and he was asleep until he herd me open the door. And of course the lens fogged the minute I got near the door.

Snow Dog

Snow Dog

Astaroth
      Participant

Poor! He seems an ice sculpture :p!

LeanneC
      Participant

Cute shot, Robert. Our kitty puts one foot in the snow and then looks at us as if to say, “when will this cold white stuff be gone?”

I discovered that if you keep the lens cap on while going in and out of the house, you reduce the “fog” factor!

Hope you are not too snowed in – starting to get a little “cabin fever” here for sure!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Almost more snow than dog!

LeanneC
    Participant

So excited to head south this weekend past. Dreams of flowers in bloom and warmer, wetter climate were shattered as we crossed the border into Washington. I think the snow followed us…

Crossing the Nooksack

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Oops, are you having a long Winter? And the image looks like a scene from a 1940s movie. Love it Leanne πŸ™‚

LeanneC
        Participant

Thanks Dahlia. Yes, it feels like a long winter…the snow is coming down today. The worst part is that it is +2 Celsius, so the snow instantly turns to mush. Can't even photograph it πŸ™ I am looking forward to spring!

Tersha
      Keymaster

Love this Leanne, it's really good seen large, great perspective!

Robert Apple
      Participant

Nice One Leanne

Tersha
    Keymaster

Loads of snow here again ….

thrush

thrush

looking for a drink

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Aw, poor birds Diane. They must be finding it a little bit too difficult to find their prey?

Robert Apple
    Participant

Great Perspective Diane

Robert Apple
    Participant

Finally got a glimpse today the end of winter is near.
    Spring time at Clear Creek

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Wow, that's like a huge block of ice in there, but the image has a warm feeling to it though, showing signs that Winter is almost over πŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.