Seagull with Treasure f/9.0 1/640 Shutter Speed 100 ISO EF 75-300 lens (300)

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Seagull with Treasure f/9.0 1/640 Shutter Speed 100 ISO EF 75-300 lens (300)

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dorothy 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

Dorothy
    Participant

Ok, i will post 3 photos:

first is b&w (where i am currently focused on improving) and although i like overall darkness i think this works better with the slightly lighter gray sky background.

second is color, which i took from RAW and adjusted.

i then used the color (psd file) to convert to b&w and make final adjustments. – not sure if there is a better way of going about this.

third is a jpeg from the original RAW.Seagull with Treasure b&w

• This topic was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  Dorothy.

Dorothy
    Participant

second:

Seagull with Treasure color

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

Hi Dorothy, I like the second version as the colours look very natural. You could slightly dodge the left wing. It would be nice to have a bit more space on top 🙂

Dorothy
      Participant

Thank you Dahlia: i will try a little dodging. the funny thing about this photo is i like it in both b&w and color so i guess i got two photos for the price of one 🙂  as far as the space i will most likely leave it as it is, when i put it on my desk top it feels right to me.

Dorothy
      Participant

Dahlia Ambrose – reply is below to you and billyspad.

billyspad
    Participant

I think its a good attempt at a very difficult subject to capture. Birds in flight have always been beyond my skill level so I tip my hat to you.

A higher shutter speed was possibly called for to freeze the bird completely. I think most birders would select around 2000th of a second. The bird has some color fringing which can be eliminated in post. The wings a little close to the top edge but rules were meant to be challenged and the composition works for me as it is.

My own workflow is shoot in Raw plus Jpeg. Work on the Raw to get a good as can be Jpeg and final stage convert to B/W always using Nik Silver Efex. Not saying this is correct way just the way I work.

Dorothy
      Participant

Thanks billyspad: i always look for your input.  Will try some lens correction on the fringing, i had not noticed it.

i had looked into Nik Silver Efex and google had it free but then DxO took it over and now there is a cost. $69 is not a lot but to a retiree, fixed income, blah, blah, blah but i have heard too many good things about it so i just went and got the link to download for a free 30 day trial, totally unlocked. at least i should be able to see if it works for me.

Dorothy
      Participant

billyspad – reply is below to you and Dahlia Ambrose.

billyspad
    Participant

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/19182-google-nik-collection-is-now-free-for-everyone/&page=7

Try this link for the older free version. This is the one I use as I am also a poor pensioner watching the pesos!

Dorothy
      Participant

Sweet, already have the trial running but will save this for if i decide i want a more permanent version.  Have already worked on one photo – sidewalk patterns – which i am putting the color version in the weekend challenge and the b&w in the shark tank.

Dorothy
    Participant

billyspad and Dahlia Ambrose:  so i went back and did a little work. dodged the seagull's wing and did some lens correction for the color aberration and i think both the color and b&w photos have both been improved.  Thank you both.

seagull-a little dodge and lens work b-w

color follows:

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.