Spring in the North or Fall in the South

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat Photography Throwdowns Spring in the North or Fall in the South

This topic contains 53 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Dave Watkins 1 week, 2 days ago.

• Author

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Let's see anything that signals spring for you in the northern hemisphere, or fall if you're in the southern hemisphere.

In southern Ontario the Robins fake us out every year because they seem to be dumb enough to return when we still have a month or more of crappy weather ahead. These orioles on the other hand are a solid signal that the worst is over.

Oriole.jpg

beth
    Participant

the first locally grown tulips of the year.  though it was still january so i'm pretty sure they're from someone's greenhouse.  we start seeing them in yards in march or april, but there's always a rush for cut tulips after valentines day and in march.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Tulips are just coming out here Beth.  The tulip festival starts today for ten days in Ottawa. Over a million tulips. I’ll post some pics if I get anything worth while.

beth
        Participant

sweet.  they're over and done with here.  the remnants have been long been washed away by the spring floods.

Robert Apple

Having Some serious Issues with this throwdown this morning  Rob.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 3 days ago by  Robert Apple.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Fly fishing certainly counts Robert.

Robert Apple

I guess the snow falling in front of the mural kind of counts too. That was my Issue.

Rob Eyers
          Participant

Time to clean my glasses! :o)

LeanneC
          Participant

Springtime snow is a thing here, as well, Robert. Although we have had summer weather this week, I wouldn't be surprised to see hail or even snow. The joy of living somewhere that has four seasons!

Tersha
    Keymaster

New acer leaves in the spring rain …

acer in the rain

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Lovely image Diane. The rain makes for a nice photo. Not sure about you but I’m ready for some sunshine though.

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Rob, we've had rain all week, I'm definitely ready for some sunshine!

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Nice one Diane. Wonderful color palette throughout. I have failed twice at growing a Japanese Maple. But we're at a new spot so maybe I'll try again. 🙂

Tersha
        Keymaster

Thanks Dave, this one is planted in a half barrel, and seems to be doing really well!

Tersha
    Keymaster

Beautiful oriole Rob!

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thank you Diane. I’m still trying to get a good shot of a male goldfinch. Some of these birds have such intense colours that getting a decent photo is a real challenge for me.

Dorothy
    Participant

March Crocus.

Every year in March i see the crocus fight their way up through the leaves in my back yard.

March Crocus

Rob Eyers
      Participant

The official flower of the province of my youth Dorothy. My neighbour has some that come up through the snow in March. It seems like a long time for spring to arrive after they show up.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Lovely contrast of color. We have a couple of these pop up in spring in our yard. Carol's wanting more.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Lovely shot Dorothy, crocus are always special!

LeanneC
      Participant

Great burst of colour amidst the brown, Dorothy.

Dorothy
    Participant

Gorgeous (bird) Rob. 🙂

JasenkaG
    Keymaster

@reyers I find this photo extremely beautiful and those soft colors in the background are truly amazing 🙂

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Thanks Jasenka. The red is from the new leaves of a Japanese Maple and the yellow green is from a euonymus and a bridal wreath spirea which were 20 to 40 feet behind.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Beautiful colors and bokeh. Except for the scrub jays all the birds at our place now are either brown or black.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

With spring comes pollen. A close up of pollen cones on one of our conifers.

Tersha
      Keymaster

Cool shot Dave!

Dorothy
      Participant

Yikes! So that's a close up of what makes my eyes so itchy.  Love the photo Dave, the greens are great.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

That's only one of the culprits. 🙂 The yellowish green color on those little cones is the pollen. Here are more pollen producers from a different tree in our yard. I sneeze a lot in the morning this time of year. I wonder why.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  Dave Watkins.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Nice one Dave. I like the composition.

Dave Watkins
        Participant

Thanks Rob. Hoping to get out this week-end and get shots of something other than what is found in my yard. Has been a while.

LeanneC
      Participant

Love this Dave. It really pops out at you.

Tersha
    Keymaster

We finally got some sun late this afternoon …

sunlit leaves

Dorothy
    Participant

I took this just a couple weeks ago and realized this truly depicts Spring for me.  This tree is across the street from me and it is called a Red Bud Tree.  (what i did not know was that my neighbor's have a vortex in their house! check out their picture window.) just open the pix in a new tab and magnify, whoa.Red Bud Tree and vortex

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Dorothy.

Dave Watkins
      Participant

Red bud is a beautiful tree and as nice as this composition is I'm drawn to the tree's shadow on the street. Don't ask me why.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

Red buds are pretty this time of year. Interesting how we think of glass as being perfectly flat, but as the window shows…it's not.

ElinL
    Participant

Wonderful image Rob ! Beautiful colours. Referring to Robs oriole image on top.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by  ElinL.

ElinL
    Participant

Peekaboo !

Peekaboo

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Aaaaah …lambs in spring. Nice!

LeanneC
    Participant

The colours in your oriole image are great, Rob.

Colour is a sure sign of spring around here. We go from everything being covered in white, to everything being a dusty brown, and then one day green and yellow (dandelions) followed by our early spring bloomers.

Here are a few colourful signs of spring from our neck of the woods…

Daphne – our very early (and very fragrant) bloomer:

Daphne

Rufous hummingbird – the first one of the season:

The Return

Colourful blossoms and a pollinator

Busy Bee

Pollen Gets in your Eyes

Purple rock cress:

Recipe for Spring

Tom M
    Participant

A flower I forget the name of…

Dorothy
      Participant

Hi Tom, nice! It's texture makes me think of poinsettia.

Rob Eyers
      Participant

I think it’s a clematis Tom. There are a lot of different varieties but it sure looks like one of them. I must be north of you as ours won’t be out for at least a few more weeks.

Lynne Guenther
    Participant

I have no idea what kind of tree, but flowers are actually white

Rob Eyers
      Participant

That’s a nice angle Lynne. The flowering trees never seem to stay out long enough and some of them are really spectacular.

Dave Watkins
    Participant

Spring is the time to gather nectar. But I wonder how sweet nectar from a chive can be.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.