Still Life, Bookbinder's Bench

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Still Life, Bookbinder's Bench

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Mistyisle 6 days, 2 hours ago.

• Author

Mistyisle
    Participant

Settings were f4.8; 1/60 sec; ISO100;  32 mms (48mms equiv).  We saw this on a historical visit and I was most taken with it. Am interested in what you think?

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Jim,

I am not sure hat 16×9 or even 2.35:1 is the best aspect ratio for this image. It feels like it needs a more classic aspect ratio.

I also think it is too blue, a bit more vintage might be nice.
    And, the light should come from the windows, but it looks like it comes from a flash from the right.

In other words, IMHO there is still some PP to do.

Graham Hart
    Participant

It's not really floating my boat to be honest Jim. It's a pity one of the books didn't already have a bound face to pull all the parts together into a coherent whole. I agree with Erik that the crop may not be best suited to this image. It pulls the focus into the ‘ingredients' of book binding activity at the expense of the ambience or atmosphere of the place where it occurs.

Don't know if you had restricted access but I think I might have chosen a different angle for the shot too. To me the most interesting elements in the pic are the wrinkled leather pieces hidden in the BG. These are the star of the book-binding show and deserve centre stage I feel. A shot from behind or to the side would also eliminate the windows which seem to dominate this pic. Overhead would be even better (were you carrying a ladder?).

Technically, (Uh oh, look out!) ISO might have been a bit low? Looks like a bit more light or longer exposure would've helped. I'm assuming its hand-held? Also, I don't know if its my monitor but the grey wall on the RH side appears to have a demarcation line running through it horizontally with blurred focus above it and sharper focus below it?

…and the tilted pots keep bugging me 🙂 .

Mistyisle
    Participant

I can see why you make the comments that you do, Erik and Graham.  Whilst I like the content of the image, it has stretched me in trying to make something of it.  I took the photo nine years ago when I was much less experienced and look at it every now and again.   There is a policy of no photographs in this venue, however on this occasion the manager was personally showing us around and took pity on me and let me take some. I rushed a bit unfortunately!  Here is the original.  I should have, at least, done a bracketed shot.

beth
    Participant

consider a 1:1 crop like below.  i liked the red bowl, but i left it in the books were cut off.  also consider a matte edit on this.

Gabriel de la Rosa
    Participant

Maybe I would suggest to shoot at higher ISO in order to have the chance to shoot at a little higher speed, overexposing a little in order to get a better control of the contrast in postproduction. Regards.

Federico Alegria
    Participant

Hi there Jim, I hope that this could help you out. Since you are in a controlled lighting situation, you could use a slower aperture value, like f/16, and you'll be able to get everything in focus, because it just looks a little bit odd and even flat.

Anne Hornsby
    Participant

Hi, Jim.   I like Beth's idea of a square crop.    I  took your original (yur 2nd post) and desaturated the window view so it wouldn't distract.    (There are some odd color artifacts in the foliage..)    The perspective is off, and I didn't have any luck fiddling with that.   The part of this image I like is the 2 pots, bowl, and books.   Maybe you could life those onto another background — since I recall you like to play around with photo elements sometimes!

Mistyisle
    Participant

Great feedback, Beth, Gabriel, Federico and Anne.  Much to ponder and take on board. It may be a while before I get back to this image, but get back to it I will!  Not sure what happens, but my subconscious, seems to work on it (echoes of Jung?), or more probably I come back to things when I sense I am ready.

You have a great memory, Anne!  Nevertheless, I gave up Photoshop Elements – about two years ago.  I now use Affinity Photo, which is light years better.  It is now a serious challenger to Photoshop –  at least in the UK and many other countries, but not yet in NZ (pause for violins and sobs).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.