Sunday in Cannaregio

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Sunday in Cannaregio

This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  3pco 6 months ago.

• Author

Maureen Photo
    Participant

A quiet moment …. away from the madding crowds in super-touristy Venice.

I'm entering pieces for consideration to juried shows and other competitions, so am wondering what is good enough.  One of the shows is all black-and-white (thus some of the images I've been posting) and the other is open.  No particular theme required, just good pictures.   I'm trying for photos with atmosphere/mood.risty Venice.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

I've never been to Venice but this image's colour seems a bit too cool. A touch more saturation maybe too?

Maureen Photo
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time Rob.  I should calibrate my monitor.  The palette in Venice proper is colorful but muted (as opposed to the Venetian Island of Burano, which is highly saturated.  This image had a lot of brick in it and I didn't like the red so I de-saturated it.  I'm also trying for a quiet image, so didn't want a lot of saturation.  I will certainly consider making some modest alterations.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Really lovely shot. I also think that it looks a little muted and could use some mild saturation. Its seems a very bright sunny day so maybe some very slight contrast adjustment to lift the shadowing on the right hand wall? The black clothes on the line keep drawing my eye. They make the shadows look quite pale in comparison.

The building's reflections in the water have a slightly stronger hue than the buildings themselves and it might be interesting to emphasise this difference a touch more to add a little dynamic to the image. Might be over the top though if the saturation and contrast adjustments work out to your liking.

Didn't notice the man crouched down for some time so perhaps he could be brought out a bit more sharply, or even removed? I think there's enough going on in this shot to not require a human element.

Finally, I feel that the boats on the left side, although in shadow, could be brightened ever so lightly to draw the eyes to that part of the image a bit more.

This is my first real critique of someone's pic so if I'm way off the mark I apologise Maureen. Gotta start somewhere. Good luck in the comps.

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by  Graham Hart.

Maureen Photo
    Participant

Well-spoken.  Here's the latest:

Mistyisle
    Participant

Despite the fact that the brightest bits (50%) are in sun and most probably exactly as seen, I find them a bit too much.  I would experiment with bringing them down a tad.  I would take out the man as he seems to be a photographer (what awful people!) .

Tom M
    Participant

I like this pic a lot. I would perhaps try and bring out the clothes on the line a little brighter. I really like the smooth reflection of buildings in the water.

Tom

Maureen Photo
    Participant

Great points folks!  I removed the man because his shape was not distinguished (I think he's looking at his phone, not taking a picture).  And I re-cooked the image from its raw state.  Forgot to put the camera data:  70 mm, 1/640, f8, ISO 400.

Graham Hart
      Participant

Like this version a lot Maureen. The clothes line no longer dominates the image but I'm now unsure about whether or not it is a good thing? Although the texture and contrast seem more balanced, that streak of black across the pastel canvas was an interesting distraction so perhaps something halfway between the two versions would work by bringing back a little of the dark? It may contrast better now with the lightened foreground. Better without the man too.

Tobie

I love the 2nd image most. I think the darker shadows expose the other colors nicely. You may still raise them on the clothing a bit – but only on the clothing.

Nice scene!

Maureen Photo
    Participant

Interesting differences of opinion!  No right or wrongs, but I decided to go somewhat darker on the laundry.

3pco
    Participant

A million opinions. I have nothing to add, but I want to say I like your picture. Was in Venice sometime in the last millenium, and this has the feel.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>
Skip to toolbar