Sunset

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  James 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

James
    Participant

250mm
    f5.6
    1/2000
    iso 100

My first attempts at a sunset was going for a hazy feel hence the lower aperture… are the results the sort of thing you would hang on a wall? Or would a sharper image be preferred?

Is the composition pleasing to the eye or is there something better I could have done?

I have done minimal editing keeping the colours as the camera saw them and I cloned out a couple of birds and no cropping was done.

Sarah Ernst
    Participant

Just speaking on a couple of things…I think for the f/5.6 to work for this image, you probably should have had something in the foreground to focus on…obviously it would have silhouetted, but that could have been sharp and the rest of the image..more of the hazy feel you were looking for. There's nothing to rest your eyes upon in this landscape, which doesn't help the composition. I think that is one aspect that keeps it from being a “wall hanger” , but that's just my opinion. It's hard to say from the small image I'm seeing. but it looks as if you have too much foreground…I'm thinking a crop about a 1/3 of the way into the scene might work better…However, it's a great first attempt at a sunset, and they're not easy.

Walter Lustig
    Participant

@sarahle, it is quite a large image once you click on it, well it worked when I did. I agree with what you said.

There is one isolated lens flare spot right on the upper shore line right of the reflection of the sun which I find a bit disturbing as it doesn't continue its “lens flare path” …

James
    Participant

The lens flare is as occurred naturally in lens, Canon lens coatings try their hardest not to allow flare… had the coatings not done that it would of left me with another leading line or would of ruined the picture entirely we shall never know…

I was trying to recreate some of the canvases that I had bought that are on my walls as they are generally hazy for ambience rather than as stand out pieces but perhaps the originals are tack sharp and it is the canvas that makes it fuzzy once printed??

All I know is I didn't want the sun to stick out like a sore thumb so I picked the lowest aperture allowed of me.

I posted another picture similar to this with grass in the foreground and people then didn't like the background…

I think what I am taking from this is shoot in lots of different apertures and shutter speeds then I will have more to choose from when they are loaded on to the computer.

P.S @fidelito you comment on a lot of photos here and have lots of valid things to say I would love to see some of your work putting your advice into action!

Walter Lustig
    Participant

@jimeuph1, as for the lens flare, I know that this is an occurrence that can hardly be controlled. Personally, I like lens flares and sometimes even try to get them in camera … although I have a feeling this was more easily done with film than now in digital … or try my hand at adding them in post … but I thought that in this case it is just this one isolated spot unless I am missing sth … I would probably try to get rid of it but just like many things, this is a matter of taste and was just my opinion.

Thank you for the nice words. Personally, I am a bit undecided whether to post a good or a bad one (from my POV) … but the tables could be turned after the comments meaning that what I consider good might have been bad and vice versa … I will give it some thought 😉 But trust me, I am far from being able to put all my “advice” into action. Nevertheless, I feel that analysing images and being able to get into a dialogue beyond the sweet talk on Flickr, etc. does help me to improve as well … otherwise I might not do it as actively.

I just hope that this forum will grow and there will be more voices as it still feels like a rather small circle.

James
    Participant

yes I agree it does seem a small circle and one with rather specific tastes from what I am getting feedback on and what pictures are posted.

Seeing what the current trends are processing and technique wise I am trying to find what I like and what would have longevity, I don't want to look at my photos in 25 years time and be able to pinpoint what year it was created without digging into the exif notes…

I want to create a balance of what traditionally makes good photos and extract elements of new techniques to enhance the content of the picture… rather than the technique being the picture if that makes sense?!?

@fidelito Yes it is far easier to see what things need doing to a picture to improve it, but I am finding that it is giving me fresh perspective on my own work as well different eyes see different things and whilst you cannot please all people all of the time I am trying to achieve a good few people liking what I create. Which I hope I am doing… friends and family obviously don't count, though my friends with dslr's stopped commenting on my facebook as soon as I got one so not sure what to think of that…

I have only had my camera a month now so I am busy experimenting with everything I can and will have to give some of the popular trending techniques a go soon and I will come and feed the sharks with the product of that labour too!

Please put some work up, comments like yours are helping me, so surely they can do the same for you as well!

Ehpem
    Participant

I agree that this is a fine first attempt. The soft feel does not bother me. I really like the texture in the foreground and rather than cropping it I would be looking to emphasize it. I think maybe a lower point of view bringing out the texture of the beach surface and with this great background could make a striking photo. You would need more depth of field probably, but then you might find that the sand ripples, or a small pebble, or similar feature would give something for the eye to rest on.

Andy Castillo
    Participant

With sunsets, I feel that it is so easy to fall into the cliche. In order to make an extraordinary image with sky in it, there needs to be something else to put the background into perspective. Almost as if you intended to take a picture of the foreground and accidentally caught this amazing sunset. You mentioned grass- which could work or could not work, it all depends on how you deal with the contrast.

With an image like this I do not think that 5.6 worked. It seems that you have lost a bit of the detail in the water, which is a huge part of the image.

Charles E. Church
    Participant

The colors are there and pleasant, but I would suggest waiting another few minutes to allow the sun to slip below the horizon a bit more. I think the colors would remain and also let some more detail into the photo, though you might have needed a little longer exposure which also may lend a bit more detail to the water. I also would crop in a bit to keep emphasis on the sun, the colors and to remove some of the foreground.

James
    Participant

I dug up a photo I had taken just afterwards…

55mm
    Iso 160
    1/320
    f5.6

Heavily cropped…

and some tips given applied to the first pic…

Karen Amendola
    Participant

I learned a lot from eavesdropping on this dialogue, and after seeing these last two images you posted, I have nothing to say. 🙂

James
    Participant

@karamen does that mean you approve of the improvements I made and managed to achieve my goal of getting something decent enough to hang that would appeal to a majority?

Yes I know it is digging for compliments but I would like to know if I am heading in the right direction.

Ultimately the goal would be to get these pictures straight out of the camera with very minimal editing…
    Obviously I am a long way from that but it is good to know exactly what to look for when out in the field…

Thanks everyone for the input so far! I shall continue to feed the sharks!

Karen Amendola
    Participant

I am far from being any kind of expert, but when comparing A, B and C. B & C, but more particularly B (the one with no no sun) is more appealing to me. I struggle with sunsets, too. They are either too blown out or clear with everything else too dark. Having a second look, the wet sand in the bottom of C is a bit distracting, but not sure how much more you would want to crop.

James
    Participant

Like that?

Not much left of it anymore lol, next time I will be putting the emphasis on the sky in composition…

I need to buy a grad ND filter when funds permit and hopefully that will stop me overblowing the sun…

Karen Amendola
    Participant

No, not this one, I liked this one as you had it. The last one.

Tom Beecroft
    Participant

I think @pentaxian47 is spot on in suggesting waiting a bit, and I'm glad you did as I like the second image much better. There is more definition and interest in the water, in my opinion. Would be interesting to see without the crop, as I generally prefer some kind of foreground interest in a sunset if possible. If you use Lightroom, you can apply a grad filter in post. I don't think it's quite the same as having one on the lens, but it does a pretty good job if it's not blown out.

James
    Participant

It was just masses of low tide then flat wet sand… and the post grad filters in software make it look dirty which if I had a real one I am sure wouldn't.

I think I needed to be shooting nearer the tide coming in to capture better interest in the sea.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.