Sunset critique

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank Sunset critique

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Dahlia Ambrose 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Filip Novkovic
    Participant

I started to photograph myself about 3 months ago, if something is wrong on the photo, any criticism would be highly appreciated.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

Welcome to the Shark Tank Filip. I hope you'll find the critiques here helpful.

First some house keeping to keep the moderator happy. We are asked to include the EXIF information for our postings in the ST. This is to help others who are learning from your post as well as helping anyone who wishes to make comment/critiques.

Your exposure looks good and the horizon is level which is good. It looks to me that this is a composite where you have added the moon. Parts of the moon are darker than the sky and if you check you'll see that isn't very realistic. A reflection of the moon wouldn't look like the one you've inserted in the water either. Go out any evening and closely look at what the light is doing and you'll get it right next time.

Nothing wrong with compositing a moon into an image but it's placement is maybe a bit too close to the edge too. That's likely because you wanted it in the darker blue part of the sky.

I'm guessing you put the moon in to add a focal point of interest which was a good idea however as it is it's not a strong enough object and the composition feels a bit awkward.

Good to see you in the tank. I look forward to your next post.

Craig
    Participant

I agree with Rob's assessment.  I think the image works fine without the moon.

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

I agree with Rob's assessment.  I think the image works fine without the moon.

Dahlia Ambrose
    Keymaster

@novkovic03 Hi Filip, welcome to the forums. This is a great sunset image.

I agree with Rob's comments about the moon. Without the moon the image will look brilliant in my opinion and the moon in this image looks a bit odd – maybe because of the way it is placed.

Also, from what I have read and understood, I believe at full Moon, the moon rises at sunset and sets at sunrise. Not sure what you think!

Look forward to seeing more of your images here 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.