The couch

Home Photography Forums The Shark Tank The couch

This topic contains 23 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Falxy 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

Jeff Horton
    Participant

Tried twice this morning and it wouldn't post.  Third time is a charm…. I hope.

Really anxious to hear thoughts on this one. I was sitting in this room and for some reason this caught my eye. Well out of my normal subject but I have been trying hard to work on my creativity and not shot the same old things.
    It came out very close to what I envisioned but ….. not sure if that is compelling enough.

SJH_6079

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jeff Horton.

Ian c
    Participant

Good light, composition, lines and textures works just fine and I can see why you took it.  Nice image but not very interesting for my liking Jeff.

Robert Apple
    Participant

I fell like it needs a point of interest or an anchor point Jeff, maybe a small stuffed animal or action figure resting against the pillow, or peaking out of the dark area behind the pillow.

bucweeet
    Participant

Because it's the ST….. Currently my eyes are conflicted… should they look at the pillows?.. or should they be looking at the sofa (where my eyes tend to be drawn down to)??

If you want the pillow highlighted, I would crop the bottom of the image up to the bottom of the cushions (or there about). The highlights on the pillows now attract my eye's attention to the pillows.

With that said… I do like the image as it is presented Jeff.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  bucweeet.

Jeff Horton
    Participant

Thanks for the input. I still sort of like it but…….  Just part of the growing process I guess.

Graham Hart
    Participant

For my two cents worth, I really like it…(but I am in the middle of a B&W phase). I like the light balance and I can almost feel the texture of the lounge and pillows. I agree that a point of interest would be good too but not sure what. Perhaps the thing that goes hand in hand with a lounge….a TV remote?

The only critique I would offer is the back of the lounge being slightly out of focus keeps attracting my eye. Is this where more DOF would have helped?

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I find myself liking it more than not. That said, it does feel “light” in terms of engaging content for a general viewing. It almost feels more like a product shot.

Jeff Horton
      Participant

There is something that just keeps drawing me back to this photo. But at the same time there is this nagging feeling that something just isn't … well, it just isn't.  I think you really expressed it with “it does feel “light” in terms of engaging content”.

I realize that everyone has different taste and that is why I asked. Sometimes a good photo is a love it/hate it thing.  Then there are those that just leave you hanging in the middle and that is exactly where I am with this one, hanging in the middle.

Still looking and thinking at this one. I want to try again but still waiting on some inspirational creative idea to slap me upside the head.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Jeff Horton.

Jeff Horton
    Participant

So, better or not?

SJH_6101

Dahlia Ambrose
      Keymaster

Hi Jeff, I like the second image with the hat added, but the lighting in the first image is very captivating. Is there anything you did differently in terms of lighting for the second image or is it just my eyes?

Jeff Horton
    Participant

It was natural light and just a different time of the day and it is overcast. And I totally agree it is not as good. Will be a few days before the skies clear I suspect and I can duplicate that.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

Hi Jeff, technically the first is much better.  The texture shows so well I can almost feel how it.  Plus the first one takes advantage of the rule of odds.  Maybe shoot it with the hat and only one pillow.  It feels a bit tight on the right.

Erik Fransman
    Participant

For me the first image but than with a head under the pillows added.
    (Can be the backof a head and you do not have to see it completely)

Or a cat onder the pillows sleeping. Cats always work.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I like the hat as an additional element. I agree though that the lighting was better in the first shot. It's getting there. Erik's idea of adding a cat would change the shot- in my opinion. It would become more about the cat. Your original idea seemed to center around the texture and shape of the couch and pillows. The hat plays well into that same theme- while not overtaking it.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  Kent DuFault.

Jeff Horton
    Participant

Lighting was good this morning so I tried again. I think this is about as good as I can do with it.

SJH_6124

The input has been great and is much appreciated.  I am working more and more on studio type work and learning the lighting. This was a strange subject for me but I have learned a good bit with it. Again, appreciate the input and helping me with it.

Falxy
    Participant

Hi Jeff….yeah ditch the headpiece………original i like,oversharpened and light too stark…………does that make sense,should be soft and shadowy………..well spotted,like it man! 🙂

Gary Zerbst
    Participant

I find myself disagreeing with Falxy.  The hat , I think , should stay.  I can build a story around a man in the 1930's coming home from work, tossing his hat on the couch and shouting “Honey,  I'm home”    Maybe Ricky Ricardo?

Without the hat , I'm left storyless with some interesting shapes and textures but no meaning

chris pook
      Participant

Now you have said that I am thinking of all the stories this couch could tell!  What would Quentin Tarantino would have Sam Jackson do with those cushions.  Or what dialogue the Cohen Brothers would give the guy sitting on the seat?  “You know what date is on this coin? 1958. It's been traveling twenty-two years to get here. And now it's here. And it's either heads or tails. And you have to say. Call it.”

So, I like it a lot as it stands, in the first one.  If I could offer a title it would be ‘No Country for Old Couches'.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by  chris pook.

Graham Hart
    Participant

Here's my epiphany;

• move the crop across to the right exposing more dark background
    • remove the second pillow on the left
    • drape a lithe female arm over the armrest with a sparkling wine glass in her hand suspended in the dark area where the light can play on the glass.
      Arm only, totally anonymous.

In Kent's words, this would totally change the shot and take the focus away from the lounge itself but I'm not sure it holds enough weight to hold the shot alone anyway?

Erik Fransman
    Participant

Chris, Tarantino would probably shoot it in 70mm Cinerama. Not because it really adds something, but just because he can.
    Coen Brothers (Not Cohen, although their parents might have changed it from that) quote, I like a lot.
    “But where’s the coin?” Then shooting everything up.

Kent DuFault
    Participant

I like the first and last versions. Artist's choice… I think.

Jeff Horton
    Participant

Thanks for all the input. Always interesting to hear the different opinions.  I think I will change the crop from square to portrait and otherwise leave it as is. It's been a interesting project and I learned some things working on it. And learning is always a good thing.

Lenny Wollitz
    Participant

I like the first if it's about the couch and the last if it's about the hat.  My fav is still the first.

Falxy
    Participant

yeah you know what usually wins out,tis the artists original view……….twas their see and capture………..ST for technical….who cares cus can learn….ST for vision…..one cant learn that……evolve maybe…..photography to expand ones artistic mind,oh yes………love the original thought and capture!! 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

>
Skip to toolbar