The Lives of Others

Home Photography Forums General Photo Chit Chat The Lives of Others

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Bruce Gordon 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author

chris pook
    Participant

You may not have seen the film of the title here.  I encourage you to do so.  It seemed appropriate for this image, in terms of reflecting how open our lives are to observation by others, and yet how insular we are.  Dubai is a fantastic place, in that it welcomes people from many diverse cultures, and is safe for them.  And yet it is a lonely place.  If you know no one, it is possible to be the loneliest person alive, surrounded by others.  This photograph was taken from the apartment of my good friend Maria, who prevented Dubai from being a lonely place for me.

chris pook
    Participant

Oh yes, here is the photograph

Dubai

chris pook
    Participant

And just to show of the capability of my camera, while reinforcing the subject of being together and yet apart, here is a a full resolution crop from the above;

Dubai

Robert Apple
    Participant

I think I understand what you are saying Chris, I used to spend a lot of time in some of the poorest most desolate places in the good ole USA, Reservations. It was difficult to be trapped between 2 cultures, two lives, even two selves, not really fitting into either. As the old saying goes “Neither Wolf nor Dog”. Causes a sense of loneliness.

chris pook
      Participant

I’m with you.  I was commissioned from the ranks (was a Private Soldier, became a young officer).  That was, as you describe, like being trapped between two cultures.  Accepted by both, but never quite properly a member of either.  In Brit speak I think we call it running with the fox and the hounds.

Rob Eyers
    Participant

No place to hide from that camera Chris. How large are the files?

chris pook
      Participant

Um would have to check… but v large!!

Bruce Gordon
    Participant

Lovely images. Is that the German movie about the Stasi listener making a connection with the writer he is recording? One of my favorite movies!!!

chris pook
      Participant

Yes that’s the one.   Quietly powerful movie eh?

John Thompson

Chris I have seen that movie and I agree with you.  It is very moving because it was real.  It reeks of KNVD.  AS always great shots Chris

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.